threads in door hinges

This still has me puzzled. Before painting the passenger side door I needed to put back on. The gap at the front is nice and even, but at the back the bottom touches the body, the top has a 9.9mm gap. I have to figure out what I'm going to do. Currently undoing body to chassis bolts to see if that effects the gap. (Unsolicited advice will be gratefully accepted.)

During the process I noticed one of the hinge to body bolts was missing. Looked to be 5/16 in diameter, but the other bolts wouldn't screw in to either a UNF 5/16 nut or a UNC 5/16 nut. The 'left overs' packet had one that fitted, but I'm still puzzled as to what the thread is. UNF or UNC has worked everywhere else.

Jim the door hinges should be 5/16" UNF, As to door fit have you replaced the sills as some of the repros do taper wrongly at the back end as well as not having the correct "cut in" for the wings. You may have to remove a shim from the mount under the "B" post or add one to the rear, but if adding to the rear make sure that it doesnt upset the amount of "view" of the rear chassis legs under the back panel.

Stuart.

That was quick Stuart. They wouldn't go through a UNF nut. I see 'NF' mentioned in a few spots does that have a different thread angle? The sills are hand carved with flap disks from my welding. Undoing the rear bolt that was pulling the body down to the chassis opened the gap at the top by a few mms. I was expecting the opposite. I've undone the three bolts at the bottom of the 'B' post but haven't been under yet to see if I put any Al shims in. That's for tomorrow. it is currently 'sink a few Tooheys Blues' time. Displaying a bit of chassis under the rear valance doesn't worry me in amongst all the other problems, Roger Williams would not be impressed.

Edited by littlejim

That was quick Stuart. They wouldn't go through a UNF nut. I see 'NF' mentioned in a few spots does that have a different thread angle? The sills are hand carved with flap disks from my welding. Undoing the rear bolt that was pulling the body down to the chassis opened the gap at the top by a few mms. I was expecting the opposite. I've undone the three bolts at the bottom of the 'B' post but haven't been under yet to see if I put any Al shims in. That's for tomorrow. it is currently 'sink a few Tooheys Blues' time. Displaying a bit of chassis under the rear valance doesn't worry me in amongst all the other problems, Roger Williams would not be impressed.

Jim you could always try a tap through the hinges and fit new bolts. If push comes to shove then helicoil/recoil the holes works fine as the hinges are thick enough. Sounds as if you havent got the right combination of shims somewhere. As to the rear of the chassis showing under the valance its normal to see up to an inch showing but you can sometimes get away with pulling the rear valance down a little to lessen the amount showing ;)

Stuart

Edited by stuart

In the hope that someone might learn from this, and get in a lot earlier, I’m putting up the gory details.

Before I started the restoration the driver door gap looked like this.

ddoor.jpg

The door braces I fitted maintained the distance between ‘A’ and ‘B’ posts, in being a tight fit might have increased it slightly. What with learning how to pull the thing to bits, how to weld etc, etc, I left it like that while I repaired sills mudguards and whatever.

Now that I am refitting the door I find I have kept the discrepancy, and may have slightly increased it. So I’m going to have to remedy it as much as I can via the body work.

Obviously the best time to do something about it is when you are working on the tub.

Jim given the discrepancy between the top edge of the wing and the front end of the deck extension in the photo, if you have ended up with the same thing now I would be inclined to lead up the front edge of the wing to even the gap. Does your wedge and plate catch at the top of the door mate correctly because if they do then reshimming the body to close up the gap may not help and you may find the catch then binds.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I decided to shave the bottom edge of the door and lead load the top, as I've painted the wing already. The plate (hook) needed a single flat washer under each screw to sldie in nicely. At least the glass carrier in this door isn't rusted, so I can leave it attached to the glass.

Jim

as it is all painted you could also try undoing the wing/guard attaching bolts and try and move the outer wing about a bit to reduce the gap at the top a bit. I notice in your photo that the top of the wing could come forward a few MM. You can then try and lose the rest at the other joins, its amazing what the chrome finishers will cover up especially the one under the bumper. Or you could leave it as it is, as Alec would say a proper factory finish ;) "built by Brummies" :)

Edited by Kiwifrog

Jim,

I see from your other post that you have fixed the problem but when it comes to adjusting my panel gaps, I have found it a useful dodge to clamp a length of welding rod of appropriate diameter (flux removed) to the edge of the panel and then MIG weld it place before lead loading to smooth it off. What gap?

Rgds Ian

I see from your other post that you have fixed the problem but when it comes to

adjusting my panel gaps, I have found it a useful dodge to clamp a length of

welding rod of appropriate diameter (flux removed) to the edge of the panel

and then MIG weld it place before lead loading to smooth it off. What gap?

That IS the way to do it. Strength and corrosion free, as long as you

clean off after welding AND after the lead filling.

The 'tinning' process that is necessary to allow the lead to stick is a

bit corrosive.

You are far more aware of the door gaps when there is clean fresh paint

visible through to the door posts.

AlanR