Advise requested re my Soft top

Hi All.

I usualy keep my softop down on the car most if not all the time. :rolleyes:

Now i have put it up its developed a small tear at the base of the clear plastic on

the rear pane, :angry: looks as if it wasnt properly stitched. :angry: So needs repair to be waterproof :mellow:

I do have a top notch hardtop, which to be honest i havent used much either.

Now , i dont have a Tonneau Cover, mainly due to the problem of fitting around roll bar.

I am wondering how waterproof can a tonneau be made, experiences and advise welcomed.

I drive the car when ever i can with the top down, but do usualy put the hood up

for security if the car is in a public place for any period of time, a tonneau

would do the same as softop. ;)

What do ya think?

Thanks

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

100_0436.jpg

100_0315-1.jpg

My 74, here, doesn't have any kind of a top, just this tonneau. It is parked under a covered carport, though.

When I wash the car, the tonneau is closed and I usually find water on top of the driver side rubber floor mat.

You might want to test your's with a water hose.

Hi All.

I usualy keep my softop down on the car most if not all the time. :rolleyes:

Now i have put it up its developed a small tear at the base of the clear plastic on

the rear pane, :angry: looks as if it wasnt properly stitched. :angry: So needs repair to be waterproof :mellow:

I do have a top notch hardtop, which to be honest i havent used much either.

Now , i dont have a Tonneau Cover, mainly due to the problem of fitting around roll bar.

I am wondering how waterproof can a tonneau be made, experiences and advise welcomed.

I drive the car when ever i can with the top down, but do usualy put the hood up

for security if the car is in a public place for any period of time, a tonneau

would do the same as softop. ;)

What do ya think?

Thanks

Guy

Is the Tonneau for driving with while its raining or when parked day or night when it may rain????I have a cover that fastens perfect over the soft top when up,covers screen and rear window and is fastened by the 4 studs on the doors also waterproof ;) i find this excellent when raining overnight or when parked with roof up during the day waiting on rain,as for driving with the Tonneau on the car when its pissing down rain it protects the passenger seat,but with the drivers window up the rain finds its way around the back of drivers seat and down onto the floor,thats the reason i ain't got any carpets only holes in the floor :lol:

Forgot to mention, when it pi@@es rain when parked with the tonneau closed the water finds its way to the middle and leaks through the zip :o also forms a fish pond in the centre :lol: The best way to overcome this is to fabricate some form of removable prop in the centre like a tent pole :rolleyes: and then the water will flow off towards the doors :P

Hi Guy.

2 options come to mind for your dilema,both can be done by a service that should be easily available in you neck of the woods!

1, Get your tonneau adapted with a suitable pocket,like for the steering wheel,to accomodate the roll bar.

2, Get your hood/window repaired by a skilled seamstress

Both options can be,or should be able to be done by a sailmaker, or boat canvas/vynil hood upholsterer! ;)

You could be lucky and find one who loves classic cars,and will do you a good deal!

Good luck,, Dave

Forgot to mention, when it pi@@es rain when parked with the tonneau closed the water finds its way to the middle and leaks through the zip :o also forms a fish pond in the centre :lol: The best way to overcome this is to fabricate some form of removable prop in the centre like a tent pole :rolleyes: and then the water will flow off towards the doors :P

I only put my soft top up in emergency (once this year, when caught in a sudden major downpour) and find the tonneau is perfect for my needs. When parked I don't have any major problems with rainshowers as I have a steering wheel lock that I angle upwards to keep the zip raised at the highest point and form a "tent" shape for the water to flow off. I also learned to keep a sponge in the boot in order to mop off any rainwater before opening the tonneau.

I usualy keep my softop down on the car most if not all the time.

Really, the hood should be up all of the time, except when driving. Otherwise it will develop nasty creases and when you try to erect it things will tear.

Have thought about a tonneau, but I don't think they are truly waterproof, and what with the Breezebreaker, the hood cover, enough boot space eaten up already tongue.gif

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

I have a tear in the same place. I find that in practice it doesn't cause a leak.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Guy, before you hot glue it,check that when its up its not getting over tight in that spot,as that was how mine tore in the same area!!"bottom of the small n/s pane"

I fixed it with glue and h/d thread then took some of the tension out,by slacking off the frame mount screws a tad! ;)

I have a large events marque supply/erection company that I deliver to,and went to see their in house repair girls who showed me on a marque window what to do.

Edited by PILKIE

Guy, before you hot glue it,check that when its up its not getting over tight in that spot,as that was how mine tore in the same area!!"bottom of the small n/s pane"

I fixed it with glue and h/d thread then took some of the tension out,by slacking off the frame mount screws a tad! ;)

I have a large events marque supply/erection company that I deliver to,and went to see their in house repair girls who showed me on a marque window what to do.

Hi Dave,

I have hot glued it, seems ok, not pretty even thought its neat. As long as its watertight, i had thought

of putting a sticker over it. You Know something like "I Love Mgs" B) "Not"

Itsa actually the centre panel, right in the middle bottom. Everything else on the hood is spot on.

Cheers

Guy

• 7 years later...

Yes just noticed a tear in the plastic rear window, near the middle at the bottom.

The previous owner told me to always unzip the panel when folding, other TR6 people told me they do not bother.

Thus I have not been unzipping the panel.

Question 1-Should I unzip the rear panel when folding the hood?

Question 2-Do I have to remove the hood for repair, and if so does it come off easily?

There are a number of boat upholsterers/cover makers in this area and reckon one of them would do it.

It is always better to unzip the window if you can, Its not so easy to completely remove the hood as the window is sewn around the base of the zip. You would need to unbolt the rear securing bar from the deck and then remove the front sealing rubber from the header rail and then carefully drill out the securing rivets making sure you dont penetrate through to the hood material then carefully peel the hood material away from the front of the header rail.

Stuart.

Thank you Stuart,

I have put out some feelers to see if any of the local boat upholsterers/cover makers can replace it in situ.

We live in hope! :)

Just thought, they could maybe make a total zip out window, with zips all round, or have other ideas to get around the problem.?

Edited by OAF939M

Thank you Stuart,

I have put out some feelers to see if any of the local boat upholsterers/cover makers can replace it in situ.

We live in hope! :)

Just thought, they could maybe make a total zip out window, with zips all round, or have other ideas to get around the problem.?

It is possible but I suspect may not be very watertight around the base.

Stuart.

Big result, I have found a long established car trimmer in Norfolk ,does everything from sports cars, vintage cars, and moderns.

30 years experience, including TR's

I took my car to him this afternoon, we arranged that I will take the car there in a couple of weeks time on a sunny day,he will take the hood off .

I will drive the car home, without hood then on another sunny day I will go back and he will refit the hood .

He will unpick and re-sew the lower hem which is currently also hot glued in.

There is sufficient window material to allow it to be pulled down and re-sown.

The cost is extremely fair and I am really pleased that I found him. :)