A TR6 for all ages?

Jim

Thats what's happening just now to a generation of model steam loco builders, they are dying out and there is a glut of modelmakers machinery on the market fetching poor prices

Ron

:(

Guest lukewarm
I never particularly wanted a TR6, I'd always liked them, but never really seen myself as a potential owner. Then I stacked my Maserati Biturbo Spyder (on the way to a funeral!!) just before I was due to drive it Le Mans, so I took a trip to my local classic dealer (John Brown in Royston, Herts) to have a poke round. TWP862L was parked in his garage, so I took it for a spin... now it's parked in mine! That was 6 years ago, and I was 30 at the time.
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes! I knew there was another out there somewhere, I look forward to meeting him or maybe even her sometime, maybe we could go for a drink and leave the old boys playing dominoes :P

Only joking all TR6 owners are really only about 12.

I'm a boy without a toy at the moment mine has just gone for spraying so probably wont see it for a while, idle hands and all..... my computer seems slow time for an upgrade maybe :D

P.S I guess my name should change to SignalTR6 or maybe i could be more imaginative.  

• 3 weeks later...

Jean,

I suspect our new member, blue69tr6, may be living in North America!! So it is probably quite early evening at 03:51. :P

Welcome to the forum blue69tr6.

Graeme

• 1 month later...

I bought my first TR6 (WVR 371L - basket case) in 1992 at the age of 22.

I swapped the remaining useful bag of bits + cash for TR6 (ADU 576K) in 1998. Smoked it around for a year until the ticket expired and realised I had been driving (and not maintaining) a death trap. Still have this car in storage awaiting lots of TLC.

3rd attempt and my every day car is a Sapphire Blue TR6 (HYK 223K). Going very well apart from a snapped vertical link 1yr ago, 5 dodgy injectors 2mths ago and the prop shaft/diff bolt problem yesterday (see post).

Sorry. I am a 34 (just) year old TR6 owner of 12 years.

Regards,

Brian.

• 9 months later...
I was 24 When I bought my TR6. Sold at the age of 27 ( me not the car) Now as a rapidly aging 37 year old going on 12 I am having fun with a TR4 soon to be mobile ex rustbucket called patch. The worst moment of my life recently was being told by my eye doctor that everyones eyesight gets worse when they reach middle age!!!  :P:P:angry:

First TR6 (OPC 310L) aged 26.

Second (NAP 966M) aged 29.

I had them both at the same time, so I'll settle for an age of 27.5! :D

First TR4A (NHA 717F) aged 33 (ish), second (SUV 407F) aged 34 (ish) - settle for 33.5 ???

TR3A (TRK 639), sadly I'll have to settle for 47. :(

Average ownership age 36, that's better! :cool:

Yeah, stuff the Metrics, it makes me feel better!

Cheers

Andrew

I'm 24.  Purchased my Emerald Green TR6 in August last year and am loving every minute of it!  I started my first proper project on it of refurbishing the seats today.  One seat stripped down to the frame ready to be tidied up!  :D
  • 2 weeks later...

Age 37, I purchased a British Racing Green TR6 (JHL 929L) last Wednesday from Manvers Triumph and it gets delivered on Friday..........I have wanted a 6 since I was a teenager and when the wife agreed I could not believe it, made sure I found one very quickly before she changed her mind!

Miles

Having read many of the post on this topic I have realised that I'm not the only one whose physical age predates their mental age.

In 1972 as a spotty face youth of 16 fresh out of school and facing the harsh realities of life as an apprentice mechanic in a Triumph dealerships my first jobs were fitting number plates on to the new cars ready for the new 'L' Reg. One of the first cars was a Sapphire Blue  TR 6. 31 years later came the reality, unfortunately the colour isn't the same but the feelings and the way that the hairs stand (what few there are left) on the back of my neck when she burbles into life are still the same. Long may these classics continue to run.

Victor1155

(Steve H) :blues:

• 1 month later...
Guest stevephillips

You know what is worrying here !!!

There have been 2106 view and allowing for the amount of people that have looked more than once, even if we half that number it means that 3.6% of the views actually got to vote in this thread.

This means that

1. either there are a number of people that do not wnat to divulge there age and therefore bias the results

2. we have all lost the plot and are quire happy reminiscing on day gone past and have bee side tracked, what poptastic fun me thinks

3. we are actually older than we have put and senile dementia is setting in and once we are in the topic we are actually forgetting why we came in here, by there way were are we now!

4. or a combination of the above.

Come on people if you are going to visit at least make your mark.

Steve, 40 and already showing the tests of time.........

By the way got my 6 8 years ago, just finished the interior change and driving every opportunity I can.  For the record fist wanted a 6 when I was 12 and got there 20 years later. :D  :D

• 5 weeks later...

Bought a 1973 Triumph Spitfire Mk IV in 1981 at the age of 27, which I drove for 4 years (couldn't afford a TR6). I promised myself a TR6 when I grow up...

Well, it took me a while to grow up... now own a 1974 Sapphire Blue 6 since 2004.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my first TR6 when I was 18 years old. That was in 1979. My brother and I were 50% owners. He would drive the car to his University then I would drive the car to my high school then after I would pick him up. He drove to our house.

After he finished the university he wanted to buy his own car therefore we had to sell the car.

I was very sad to see my dream car gone.

I always wanted to buy the TR6 since then. In 1996 I found a ad in the local buy and sell paper

"1974 TR6 mechanic special good body for $2800 Canadian Dollars"

I was at work I called the owner who lived in Chinatown. I met him in during my lunch hour.

He took me to the back yard of his house there I saw a car under the tarp. He started to pull the cover slowly from the front of the car I saw the chrome bumper then hood ... etc.

It was in really good shape and interior was in very good shape. I found out that he only had it for less than six month. I offered $2700 for it he accepted the deal.

I towed it to my house and restored it. Just finished the job june 2005 and it looks great and it bring back the memories  of my high school time. My 1974 TR6 signal red. Today my brother drives HONDA BORING!!!:P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, Just joined TR-Register and the forum.  I am 51 and bought my TR6 earlier this year, not A1 but a good soild usable classic.  I do have one or two problems that need resolving and hoping that some of you guys can help me out.

All the best for now,

Allan :)

Hi Allan, a very warm welcome to the best Forum on the 'net.   Stick your problems on here and one or more of us will be able to point you in the right direction if not post an absolute solution.   There's no stupid questions (an occasional stupid answer maybe!), and as Tarrant says "A question is only easy if you know the answer!".   I'm 56, and totally untrained, but picked up practical mechanicing since 9 years old.    There's nothing which can't be tackled and sorted at home (except maybe, re-calibrating a Lucas PI metering unit - which is best left to those with the knowledge and equipment to do the job properly!).

Thanks for your responce jonlar, you have filled me with confidence.

Talking about Lucas PI thats one of my problems.  My TR6 had not run for 4 years before it became mine and once let loose a bit seem to run fine although the "CO" was high at around 8to9%.  I took it to a guy who has had dealings with TR6's, who had it for two weeks.  The "CO" is better now around 5% but at low revs its very lumpy.  :(   I no longer have much confidence in this guy and wondered if anybody could recomend somebody resonably local to set it up properly for me.  I live in Stourbridge, West Midlands and would appreciate any help.  :)

Many Thanks,

Allan

Allan, none of us bite and between us we have a tremendous pool of knowledge and experience (most of us only bite when severely provoked - or in my case only when I've got my teeth in!!), first of all, what year is it, Commission No. shown as Comm. on top line of Vehicle Identity plate, may be on near-side inner wing or left side B-post, will also show Paint and Trim codes.    If the Comm. no. has a letter 'O' at the end it left the factory with Overdrive, L for LHD, U for US version etc..      What fuel is in the car, old petrol (despite the fact it's a fossil fuel!) ain't good, is an Unleaded conversion, do you use (Octane/Unleaded) additives, what plugs - have they been changed, points and condenser or electronic ignition,   finishing now dinner's arrived, come back later!