Long Door TR2 Bonnet Release

Just to add to my recent catalog of mini disasters, the N/S bonnet release on my long door TR2 no longer functions.

The O/S works like a treat and you can feel under the bonnet for the additional release cable, however tugging on it as no effect.

Does anyone know of a quick fix? My trolley jack burst it's seal today, so I can't get under it just yet!

It's been about a year since I last adjusted a long door TR2's cable bonnet release with the same problem.

The cable had slipped in the clamp that activates the catch release, because it wasn't tight enough.

It was simply a matter of loosening the clamp, repositioning the cable, and tightening the clamp properly.

Then someone in the cabin pulls the bonnet release a few times while you check that each side is releasing properly.

Sadly I've attended the funeral of the owner of that very car today, with many fellow TRR Oz club members.

Viv.

Just to add to my recent catalog of mini disasters, the N/S bonnet release on my long door TR2 no longer functions.

The O/S works like a treat and you can feel under the bonnet for the additional release cable, however tugging on it as no effect.

Does anyone know of a quick fix? My trolley jack burst it's seal today, so I can't get under it just yet!

Take the left hand head light out complete with the bucket and then you can just reach to get to pop the catch. Careful adjustment of the cross cable is required as this is the reason that the internal latches were done away with on later cars. I suggest duplicating the right hand pull cable on the left side of the car. That way you have a belt and braces approach.

Stuart.

Take the left hand head light out complete with the bucket and then you can just reach to get to pop the catch. Careful adjustment of the cross cable is required as this is the reason that the internal latches were done away with on later cars. I suggest duplicating the right hand pull cable on the left side of the car. That way you have a belt and braces approach.

Stuart.

The single bonnet release on my TS981L works well but since I am paranoid about breakage I simply ran a wire from scuttle to the right side release and a matching wire on the left side release. The wires run back to the scuttle and pass through any of the openings. I thought that a TRA judge would penalize for the "modification" but luckily the underhood judge also owned an early TR2 and commented that it was quite prudent to add the safety wires.

Being a Yank, I have never understood the OS & NS designations. Much easier to use the "sitting in the car" to determine right or left.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana

USA

54 TR2LD

Hi Lou,

'Right and Left' is fine if everybody is pointing the same direction - as you state "sitting in the car".

OS & NS are fine but differ from country to country.

Port & Starboard is far better as Port is always on the left when looking forward. :)

UNLESS you are on an aircraft carrier when the ship has Port/Starboard but the aircraft have left/right :blink::blink: (According to QI)

Roger

Hi Lou,

'Right and Left' is fine if everybody is pointing the same direction - as you state "sitting in the car".

OS & NS are fine but differ from country to country.

Port & Starboard is far better as Port is always on the left when looking forward. :)

UNLESS you are on an aircraft carrier when the ship has Port/Starboard but the aircraft have left/right :blink::blink: (According to QI)

Roger

Dont belive everything on QI, Aircraft use Port and Starboard and so does the space shuttle. They even use the same colour lights as ships.

The single bonnet release on my TS981L works well but since I am paranoid about breakage I simply ran a wire from scuttle to the right side release and a matching wire on the left side release. The wires run back to the scuttle and pass through any of the openings. I thought that a TRA judge would penalize for the "modification" but luckily the underhood judge also owned an early TR2 and commented that it was quite prudent to add the safety wires.

Being a Yank, I have never understood the OS & NS designations. Much easier to use the "sitting in the car" to determine right or left.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana

USA

54 TR2LD

Hey Lou, you have my curiosity aroused. What is OS and NS?

Periodically, we would have Marines onboard our LSD, when one would ask "which is port and starboard?" I always like to respond "which way you are facing?" Then I would give him the explanation. Now that someone mentioned it, old nautical nomenclature is kind of dumb. Obviously, a belaying pin is a belaying pin, but why can't we say right, left, upstairs, downstairs, back and front?

I can understand "demister" for "defroster," but "TRAFFICATOR"????? I think our Yank's "turn signal" wins this round. GBS, or another British wag, was embarrassed by "trousers." He said that "the Americans have "pants," but we are stuck with trousers."

I get a kick out of these discussions. We Yanks have loads of fun, at the Brits expense, over terms and spellings; but it would be nice to hear it from the British perspective.

George - I believe OS is "outside" or "off-side" meaning far away from the kerb (curb) while NS means "near-side" or close to the kerb (curb).

We'll get you speaking and thinking in English one of these days. That's one of the advantages of being a Canadian. I can understand both English as well as Mere-cun.

George - I believe OS is "outside" or "off-side" meaning far away from the kerb (curb) while NS means "near-side" or close to the kerb (curb).

We'll get you speaking and thinking in English one of these days. That's one of the advantages of being a Canadian. I can understand both English as well as Mere-cun.

AND FRENCH!!!

Connaissez-vous la Renault Dauphine? Une grande SELLER en l'Amerique!

Well, I am developing an appreciation for the narrow-mouth TR3. I saw a nice one this weekend at the Shootout with the COVTR (Central Oklahoma VTF). Like my car, red with the chrome wire wheels. Beautiful little car. Then, there was a red TR3A, also with chrome wire wheels and WHITE top/side curtains, prettier than my car.

I love Triumphs; I think that if I won a lottery, I would have one of each model, with an MGA thrown in for good luck, as it was the car that introduced me to sportscars.

Enjoy your winter up there!