Fron Wing Air Intakes

Anyone know the best way to install side air intakes on a tr4 like the one shown in the photo below? (Aside from simply cut a hole in the wing!!) What is done to the inside edges which are cut for example? Where can you purchase those grilles from? Anyone with any better photos of these? As the one below isn't great!

Alex

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/210980734

They are present on the TR4 rally cars....

Edited by axb601

Hi Alex,

they're not air intakes, they're there to let hot air out from under the bonnet . . . . a significant consideration when it comes to a full-house competition car, but not otherwise.

On a less serious car they're just an expensive way to ruin a perfectly good pair of outer wings, and inner wings. Plus, when you open the bonnet to reveal anything less than a very serious lump, the rest of the guys dismiss you as a dildo . . . . it's a bit like having 4 exhaust pipes out of the back of a 206 Pug.

I think Revington's sell them, and for the grilles and through ducts you'll be looking at £3-400 I suppose, and a lot of skilled labour.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alex,

they're not air intakes, they're there to let hot air out from under the bonnet . . . . a significant consideration when it comes to a full-house competition car, but not otherwise.

On a less serious car they're just an expensive way to ruin a perfectly good pair of outer wings, and inner wings. Plus, when you open the bonnet to reveal anything less than a very serious lump, the rest of the guys dismiss you as a dildo . . . . it's a bit like having 4 exhaust pipes out of the back of a 206 Pug.

I think Revington's sell them, and for the grilles and through ducts you'll be looking at £3-400 I suppose, and a lot of skilled labour.

Cheers,

Alec

That's all I needed to know! Cheers!

Alex

Just to confirm what Alec has said, Revington can supply a kit and, because Neil has had all 3 of the remaining Works Rally TR4s through his workshops, the vents are the correct shape (some vents I have seen look - to me - distinctly odd!).

Ian Cornish

Just to add ....

My experience with a modern exhaust and the sort of power that BST82B generates .... the vents actually make underbonnet cooling worse as they cause the airflow around the carbs to eddy (swirl about) rather than rush through cool air .... this obviously is a bad thing.

I have done a lot of temperature mapping on the TR4 engine bay and im afraid despite their mean look, Ive blanked mine up inside so that no air flows around the cut out in the engine bay. I also run a ducted alloy rad shield in the engine bay of BST - this makes air flow MUCH better, but again with the ducts open my exhaust and therefore the graebox and overdrive get very hot.

3VC is 'unblanked' and the ducts do appear to work well on this particular car with its original engine to 'works' spec and my evidence is that with a 'smaller' exhaust and less heavily worked head they work fine.

Having fitted a few sets, both as per the 'Works' pattern and having taken short cuts so that they ducts are not connected to the outer wings, I can tell you that its a fiddly job, but worth the effort.

Regards

Tony

Anyone know the best way to install side air intakes on a tr4 like the one shown in the photo below? (Aside from simply cut a hole in the wing!!) What is done to the inside edges which are cut for example? Where can you purchase those grilles from? Anyone with any better photos of these? As the one below isn't great!

Alex

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/210980734

They are present on the TR4 rally cars....

I bought a set of revington outlets some time ago and was not impressed with the quality for the price charged,however unless you have a set to copy you are stuck with these.

eventually with some tin bashing i got them to look roughly equal, the grill is little more than an Aluminium grill from any air extraction supplies outlet

the inner wing can just be cut out to match the outline of the vent, i went a step further and returned the edge about 3mm to keep the panel stiff

you then offer up the outlet and trim it to the shape of the inner wing,i kept mine about 3mm away to allow for any movement

NOW comes the hard bit, mark round the outlet on the inside of the inner wing because you need to put a return on the wing to fit inside the out :mellow: let about 10mm, the corners are the worst bit because the metal will not stretch this amount easily

if you can get this far the fitting the grill will be easy

i live in leicester if you are nearby you are welcome to come and look at my rebuild

regards adrian

To repeat the information I provided in a previous thread concerning 'works' TR4-style wing vents:

** When the power-tuned engines were fitted, along with full-width undershields to protect engine and transmission from rough tracks, it became clear that under-bonnet temperatures were too high.

** Vents were provided to give the hot air another chance to get out of the engine bay.

** Subjective AND objective testing showed that the vents worked efficiently.

** The vents were not as effective when the full-width/full-length overshields were not in use, because the hot air could then escape downwards.

GRAHAM ROBSON

If you wish to be authentic, the grille which fits in the vent is Triumph Herald.

When Graham, in his final sentence, says "overshields", he means undershields (as per his first sentence). Never mind Graham, we all knew what you meant!

Ian Cornish

The can be used two different ways. As per the Rally cars to get hot air out. This mean cutting a hole in the inner wings or (not using any of the Revington stuff) and leaving in the std inner wing sheilds (they are behind the back of the vent hole).

Doing it this way allows the pressure build up under the wings to be released, so hence making the front of the cra less "light" as speed.

DSC02230.jpg

Take you pick really. Though for a road car it is largely just for looks.

• 3 weeks later...

Doing it this way allows the pressure build up under the wings to be released, so hence making the front of the cra less "light" as speed.

Nice idea!

Have to think about for while.

Cheers

Chris