Hi all,

The 6 was loaded up yesterday morning ready for a trip up to Cuenca, 340 kms from my house, about 175 kms south east of Madrid to meet a group of TRs' from Madrid for a day out. I had to leave quite early 7.15am, started the engine flicked the light switch, no lights!! :( checked the fuses, connections, ok. Indicators worked. As I would be travelling back in the dark decided to give it a miss. Phoned Arturo to apologise for not making it. (I hope you all had a good time!).

Anyway, I spent the rest of the day attempting to fix the problem. still no lights. On the fuses I put a test light, that lights up on the top and middle fuses on the green/red wire at the bottom nothing at all with ignition on or off, I have also checked for power at the bullet connectors, no power. All the earths seem OK. I have loosened the steering column after taking out the speedo and tacho, to check for trapped wires etc, OK. then took the stalk off, I don't know how to check if it is broken (my 37 year old original one!) and I don't have a spare :( (I thought I did)

If you have any other suggestions for checks or can offer a slution I would be grateful.

Kind regards,

The headlamp switch supplies the Red/Green wire with power to drive the side lights via the fuse.

If there is no voltage on the Red/Green wire, then the power from the headlamp switch is not getting through.

The headlamp switch is supplied with power directly from the battery, so I would be looking at whether the connection between the battery and the switch is disconnected or if the switch is faulty.

If your lighting switch is dashboard mounted (rather than part of the column stalk), then the wire you are interested in is Brown. Measure to see if there is 12 Volts at the switch. If so the switch is faulty, if not the brown wire is faulty (probably a break near one of the connectors).

Good luck

TT

Hi all,

The 6 was loaded up yesterday morning ready for a trip up to Cuenca, 340 kms from my house, about 175 kms south east of Madrid to meet a group of TRs' from Madrid for a day out. I had to leave quite early 7.15am, started the engine flicked the light switch, no lights!! :( checked the fuses, connections, ok. Indicators worked. As I would be travelling back in the dark decided to give it a miss. Phoned Arturo to apologise for not making it. (I hope you all had a good time!).

Anyway, I spent the rest of the day attempting to fix the problem. still no lights. On the fuses I put a test light, that lights up on the top and middle fuses on the green/red wire at the bottom nothing at all with ignition on or off, I have also checked for power at the bullet connectors, no power. All the earths seem OK. I have loosened the steering column after taking out the speedo and tacho, to check for trapped wires etc, OK. then took the stalk off, I don't know how to check if it is broken (my 37 year old original one!) and I don't have a spare :( (I thought I did)

If you have any other suggestions for checks or can offer a slution I would be grateful.

Kind regards,

Thanks for the input guys, I had a good look at the wiring diagram and traced it back to the ignition starter switch, yesterday I was taking some photos of the interior and I remember pushing up the harness, this must of dislodged the brown and white cable on the back of the ignition switch, re-connected it and there were the lights. I shall be more careful next time, spoiled a nice run out.

One thing though, if I use the main beam quick flash on the column stalk it blows the fuse. ? Obviously it is shorting, is there a way fix it? or does this mean the stalk is on the way out.

Thanks again, Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave.

The light stalk end in the column is actually quite flimsy,it is held in place by 2 screws,it has a plastic end pushed into an ally casing and the flash is tensioned with a spring.

As I found out recently with mine,If the plastic end holding the wiring connections works a bit loose from the ally casing,the main power wire for the flash can earth out when operated.

You wont be able to get much movement of the unit without releasing the column clamps,but you may have enough just to pinch up the ally casing enough for it to get a better grip of the mainwiring block.

Be careful though,dis-connect battery first,and do it gently as you can easily break a wire off a terminal.

Happy tinkering.

ps have you decided to keep the car after all??

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave.

The light stalk end in the column is actually quite flimsy,it is held in place by 2 screws,it has a plastic end pushed into an ally casing and the flash is tensioned with a spring.

As I found out recently with mine,If the plastic end holding the wiring connections works a bit loose from the ally casing,the main power wire for the flash can earth out when operated.

You wont be able to get much movement of the unit without releasing the column clamps,but you may have enough just to pinch up the ally casing enough for it to get a better grip of the mainwiring block.

Be careful though,dis-connect battery first,and do it gently as you can easily break a wire off a terminal.

Happy tinkering.

ps have you decided to keep the car after all??

Cheers Dave

Hi Plkie,

I have already released the clamps so the cable is free. I will take it out completely and have a go.

Regarding the 6 yes it is still for sale.

Regards,

Dave

• 10 years later...

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and electrics are not my favourite thing! Getting to the final part of my TR6 reassembly. Everything was working fine (including all lights) but decided to replace the old sealed beam headlamps with halogens. Put them in, turned on the lights and dipped beam worked fine. Put on full beam and my entire lighting circuit is now dead. No headlights, sidelights, dashboard, number plate lights at all.

Any ideas? I need help!

Hi Bob,

welcome to the forum,

Have you got a wiring diagram  ?  http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Have you got a Multimeter or a bulb on a fly lead.?

With head lights selected check for 12V on the blue wire at the dip switch. 

If there is no volts then either switch has blown uo or the fault is nearer the battery/Alt.

Roger

Is the wiring standard or has someone put a fuse in the lighting feed?

You may have blown a fuse - the one with the red wires going to it feeds the sidelights and instruments, though that should not affect the main or dipped beam.  Power for the sidelights etc is shown as coming from the lighting switch so as  Roger says that might be at fault. Perhaps your new bulbs pull too much current - what wattage are they?

Edited by RobH

Thanks for the advice. No idea if there is an added fuse - the way it all just stopped when I put it on full beam suggests a blown fuse but no idea where it might be. I have a 'bulb' tester so i'll try for current at the dip switch tomorrow.

Hello again. Interesting day... I checked the blue at the dipswitch - no power. So, took out the light switch and checked the brown and white wire going in to that - no power either (I would have thought that should always have power?). I have checked the fuses and all seem ok - I cannot see any extras anywhere. I must admit, i am very perplexed!

As an aside, I took the brown and white lead off the ignition switch and the door lights went out. Does that give any more clues?

The brown/white at the ignition switch is shown as also linking to the ammeter which is fed directly from the battery so yes it should always have power. The schematic shows two wires at that point. Did you remove both or only the one that feeds the lightswitch?

Is there power on both sides of the ammeter?  If so there must also be power to the brown/white wire at the ignition switch unless there is a broken connection (or fuse?) in between.

According to the schematic that brown/white wire goes to the ignition switch.  Red is supposed to be for lighting circuits so maybe someone has made modifications. I guess that one goes to the alternator? By convention it should be brown. 

Obviously the brown/white wire should have the same voltage on each end of it.......

It's very confusing. None of the colours seem to be right. I'm torn between getting an electrician to have a look at it and buying a complete new loom and fitting that. I'm guessing that would be a simpler task and then i would know everything is correct.

12 hours ago, Bob1960 said:

It's very confusing. None of the colours seem to be right. I'm torn between getting an electrician to have a look at it and buying a complete new loom and fitting that. I'm guessing that would be a simpler task and then i would know everything is correct.

By the sound of your replies so far I would say a new loom would be a very good idea!

Stuart.

Thought I would just bring this one up to date. I got an electrician in to look at things and he agreed that the wiring is a mess. After a few hours he got everything working but agrees that a new loom is probably required. I am torn - it's a pain that more work is needed, but also kind of relieved that I am not such a numpty with car maintenance as I thought.

I think it's a case of use it for the summer and get the new loom in over the winter

1 hour ago, Bob1960 said:

Thought I would just bring this one up to date. I got an electrician in to look at things and he agreed that the wiring is a mess. After a few hours he got everything working but agrees that a new loom is probably required. I am torn - it's a pain that more work is needed, but also kind of relieved that I am not such a numpty with car maintenance as I thought.

I think it's a case of use it for the summer and get the new loom in over the winter

Good move.

Roger

1 hour ago, Bob1960 said:

Best carry a good extinguisher then.

Stuart.