Correct Finish - Reinforcement Plate /Wing Attch Bolts/Washers

I realize this is a fine detail, but I am looking for the correct finish of these reinforcement plates. They are , used at the forward most body to chassis attachment point. Since Triumph would have bolted the shell to the body at Canley, my guess is that the plates are either painted black or bare metal finish, but I'm not sure. Also, I have seen cars restored beautifully, some with unpainted wing attachment bolts and some that are painted. Mulliners painted the shells, doors , bonnets, wings and boot/spare tire lid at their works and trucked them to Canley. From what I have read and seen in books these pieces were attached to the shell "loosely". So, I assume that Canley reused the same (painted) hardware when making the final assembly on the line. Is this the general consensus?

I realize this is a fine detail, but I am looking for the correct finish of these reinforcement plates. They are , used at the forward most body to chassis attachment point. Since Triumph would have bolted the shell to the body at Canley, my guess is that the plates are either painted black or bare metal finish, but I'm not sure. Also, I have seen cars restored beautifully, some with unpainted wing attachment bolts and some that are painted. Mulliners painted the shells, doors , bonnets, wings and boot/spare tire lid at their works and trucked them to Canley. From what I have read and seen in books these pieces were attached to the shell "loosely". So, I assume that Canley reused the same (painted) hardware when making the final assembly on the line. Is this the general consensus?

I think the plates were always black (and that would have been a single coat of black over bare metal ;):lol:) But not entirely sure if the bolts would have been painted or not. I use new ZP ones for final assembly anyway as I have a "slave" set for all trial assemblies that have been overpainted several times.

Stuart

Yes, satin black Frank, as they were an assembly line part for when the body was attached to the chassis, and black suited all coloured bodies.

I use brake caliper and drum satin black from a spray can for all these small parts, as it hangs on better than ordinary enamels.

That's right.....the front and rear wings were attached with bolts finished in body colour at Mulliners, as often these items were literally beaten to fit with rubber mallets, and then painted in finished sets.

Regards,

Viv.

I think the plates were always black (and that would have been a single coat of black over bare metal ;):lol:) But not entirely sure if the bolts would have been painted or not. I use new ZP ones for final assembly anyway as I have a "slave" set for all trial assemblies that have been overpainted several times.

Stuart

Stuart - I've sent you a pm - on a different subject. Just mentioning it here in case your spam filter gets it!!

Phil.

Stuart - I've sent you a pm - on a different subject. Just mentioning it here in case your spam filter gets it!!

Phil.

Dont panic its clever enough to recognise a cry for help ;)

Stuart

Hi Frank

While looking at my reinforcement plates, I noticed the number of midges, flies and other insects splattered against the fire wall. Does this indicate a good air flow over the engine? I painted mine black by the way during reconstruction.

Dave

Hi Frank

While looking at my reinforcement plates, I noticed the number of midges, flies and other insects splattered against the fire wall. Does this indicate a good air flow over the engine? I painted mine black by the way during reconstruction.

Dave

Dave: Yes and thank you. To be certain, you can do a population count of the insect missiles. Just take a magnifying glass and count the number of cadavers in 1 square inch, then multiply by the total exposed area. After that you must multiply the results by the cube root of the relative humidity. If it happens to be a Thursday, Bob's your uncle. Otherwise you're screwed! :)

Frank

I didn't include all those others that get splattered against the inner wings BEHIND the grill, and the awkwardness of trying to remove them. That reminds me why I asked about the BETA grill initially, as that would be easier to get behind.

Hey Don! what's the bug population like in Canada? are they magnetic as they seem to be here in Spain as that could be a reason for their being attracted to my car.

Dave

Be thankful you don't get locust plagues.

They're huge and hit like squash balls, and they've got innards like araldyte .

If you don't get some good detergent onto them as soon as you get home, you're history, and have to remove them one by one with your fingernail, which is about the only suitable tool that won't scratch the paintwork.

At least it deters you from biting your nails.