Correct sill "paint" colour.

IIRC this came up when I painted mine!

I think the general consensus was to paint them in satin black as per factory,after giving them a good coating of stonechip or paintable underseal.

I think it was only the early 1969 cars had body coloured sills and windscreen surrounds!

Some restore their sills to body colour paint finish,with stonechip protection,some just with paint to a polished finish!

But its a vulnerable area,and it needs protecting,and mud flaps dont quite look right!

TMK, all TR5/250/6 cars had black underseal on the sills right to the centre of the sill trim strip. As Dave points out many opt out of this treatment - whether it costs in concours competitions is still an open question for me :unsure: but my show car doesn't have it ( driver does ).

Incorrect option.

My conscience is stainless. :P

AtJohnBlayenroutetoPrestige.jpg

A'la Stag!!

Looks OK on a car with in your face wheels though!! :P

At least you havent trimmed it out in plush red buttoned draylon!! :lol: YET!!! :P

Its all down to personal choice!! ;)

IIRC this came up when I painted mine!

I think the general consensus was to paint them in satin black as per factory,after giving them a good coating of stonechip or paintable underseal.

I think it was only the early 1969 cars had body coloured sills and windscreen surrounds!

Some restore their sills to body colour paint finish,with stonechip protection,some just with paint to a polished finish!

But its a vulnerable area,and it needs protecting,and mud flaps dont quite look right!

I have a 1970 CP car and as these were not fitted with sill trims is it correct to paint the sills black.

Cheers

Mark

Ivor I hope there is plenty of waxoyl or similar behind them as its a really good rust trap otherwise.(Having seen the state of a lot of Stag and MGB sills behind chrome covers Im not keen on them)

Stuart.

I have a 1970 CP car and as these were not fitted with sill trims is it correct to paint the sills black.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark.

I think you will find that all TR6's were fitted with sill trims/strips!

Early cars had the narrow ones,and these can be hard to find!

Thats probably the reason why the wider trims are often used on early cars!

Its possible that if your car was rebuilt with new wings and sills the holes were not drilled and they were never refitted!!

Dave

Hi Mark.

I think you will find that all TR6's were fitted with sill trims/strips!

Early cars had the narrow ones,and these can be hard to find!

Thats probably the reason why the wider trims are often used on early cars!

Its possible that if your car was rebuilt with new wings and sills the holes were not drilled and they were never refitted!!

Dave

Thanks Dave

Thats another mistery solved with this car

Cheers

Mark

Ivor I hope there is plenty of waxoyl or similar behind them as its a really good rust trap otherwise.(Having seen the state of a lot of Stag and MGB sills behind chrome covers Im not keen on them)

Good point, thankyou. I seamsealed the ends to keep the water out and ditto along the tops but I didn't think of waxing behind. I bought a Frost Schutz/wax attachment for my new compressor today, so that could be its first job.

They were fitted by PO, hopefully for cosmetic reasons. The MOT tester peers at them morosely, his Clark Kent specs having been mislaid. :lol:

Ivor

I DO like that colour Ivor.... :)

Yes, a basecoat + lacquer job, a choice for which I have the PO to thank. :rolleyes:

GM Marseilles Red metallic. There are various 'shades' this seems to be the default.

You can enjoy it again in Mark Treadwell's Drive It article in the latest TRaction, along with five of my photos which some enterprising editorial chap seems to have lifted off the forum :P

Ivor

Those look nice! Where might they be available?

Thankyou, and in addition to looking good, tar does not readily adhere.

They've been on the car about 8 years; I'm afraid I don't know their origin, one would have to ask around the usual suppliers. There was a vogue a few years ago for fitting them on classics, perhaps the ensuing rust problems to which Stuart alludes have diminished their perceived allure.

Ivor