pulley conversion

Guest james67

Guest james67

Hello to all,

I am going to do the good old pulley conversion modification on my TR 5 and I was looking for some advice on what is the best fan kit to go for. I would really like to fit a sensor in the bottom hose, and not one of those kits where you poke a copper sensor in the top hose and hope it does not leek.

And does any one no the optimum running temperature of the 5.

Regards James B)B)

Hello James,

No I dont like the 'shove it up the top hose sensor either'. There are many places you can buy a SS bottom hose junction (between water pump and bottom of rad ) that has an inbuilt boss for a temperature sensor. It is the better place to fit such a thing to switch on or off a thermo fan. I cant comment on temp as these things have wide variations depending on whose you buy but choose one that suits summer use as it will rarely be needed in the winter. Just wire the electric fan (via a relay to operate from this remote switch in the bottom hose, and, for peace of mind you can duplicate the on circuit with an overide switch if you wish). Hope this helps.

Cheers

James

I have recently fitted a Revotec thermo controlled fan where the switch is installed int he top hose (a 3/4" section is cut out to fit the switch) and have had no problems... As to running temp, the car has always run with the needle on the 6 o'clock position and arely rises above this... What actual temperature this relates to I have no idea - but it has never lost any coolant!

Considering IanR's comments above, I am now wondering if the switch would be better in the bottom hose - the instruction have it to be on the top though!)

If anyone is interested, I have a newSS bottom pipe with the thermo coupling that was acquired along with a box of bits form a friend that sold his TR6 a few years back...

Brgds

That is strange Ian, but the Revotec instructions for my TR4 state to put it into the bottom hose!

Rod

That is strange Ian, but the Revotec instructions for my TR4 state to put it into the bottom hose!

Top or bottom probably depends on the temp range of the sensor that comes with it.

Temperature should be measured at the top, but let's not start that again :P

Kenlowe have recently revised their rubber grommet thingy, easier to use.

I have Kenlowes on two vehicles with proper top hose capillary insert, one has the old black rubber insert, one has the new red rubber sleeve insert, if correctly fitted they do work they don't leak.

Only problem with the Kenlowe it seems to draw a lot of juice, had to fit a bigger alternator to keep up with Kenlowe + Bosch pump.

As regards temp, my 6 runs around the middle of the gauge, bit below when travelling bit above when queuing, but I suspect that gauges differ.

Ivor

Hello to all,

I am going to do the good old pulley conversion modification on my TR 5 and I was looking for some advice on what is the best fan kit to go for. I would really like to fit a sensor in the bottom hose, and not one of those kits where you poke a copper sensor in the top hose and hope it does not leek.

Regards James B)B)

Hi James,

I recently fitted a kenlowe fan (I have removed my mechanical fan) - I got it direct from Kenlowe. It came c/w with a sensor that you poke through the fins of the rad - despite this it fits and looks OK and most importantly seems to work efficiently although I still need to give it a good road test.

regards Graham

Hi James,

I recently fitted a kenlowe fan (I have removed my mechanical fan) - I got it direct from Kenlowe. It came c/w with a sensor that you poke through the fins of the rad - despite this it fits and looks OK and most importantly seems to work efficiently although I still need to give it a good road test.

regards Graham

The "Through the rad" electronic sensors are a bit prone to vibration as in they dont last very long on 4 cylinder TRs. I went through three of them on a 2 before reverting back to the original capilliary type. Kenlowes replaced them every time but in the end they suggested the reversion as they did admit to the vibration problem . However that was about five years ago so they may well have improved them by now.

Stuart.

Guest james67

Hi Graham

The fan kit that you got from kenlowe sounds the ticket do you no the part number. I have the old type of kenlowe fan on the TR4A I was just looking for something better and tidier for the TR5.

James

Hi Graham

The fan kit that you got from kenlowe sounds the ticket do you no the part number. I have the old type of kenlowe fan on the TR4A I was just looking for something better and tidier for the TR5.

James

I got the Revotec from them with the sensor in the bottom (stainless) hose. Fitted in a jiffy and has been working happily for past 2 years.

Hi Graham

James

James,

I got a 14" fan - part No 14HP.B/S.12v

cost incl shipping - £160

The sensor is secured in the radiator with a plastic support - supplied by Kenlowe.

Seems to be quite secure - only time will tell.

regards Graham

• 4 weeks later...
The "Through the rad" electronic sensors are a bit prone to vibration as in they dont last very long on 4 cylinder TRs. I went through three of them on a 2 before reverting back to the original capilliary type. Kenlowes replaced them every time but in the end they suggested the reversion as they did admit to the vibration problem . However that was about five years ago so they may well have improved them by now.

Stuart.

Recent update: I have just fitted one of these "through the rad"-type sensors and it failed after about 3-days. Kenlowe have been great about it and replaced the whole control unit (arrived from UK today) and I'll fit it tomorrow.

Based on your comments, I'll switch to the old capillary-type if this one dies too - especially as I've never had any leakage problems with those on previous cars.