Targo Purple Pictures?

I just received the Heritage certificate for my 1959 TR3A. Although it is now has a yellow exterior and black interior, according to the certificate it was Silverstone Grey with Targo Purple trim from the factory. I would like to see a picture of such an interior colour or for that matter a good exterior picture of Silverstone Grey - can anyone point me to a good visual resource? My intent was to restore with a cream coloured exterior with tan trim, but this original choice sounds interesting.

Regards,

Randy

64 TR4

59 TR3A in restoration

I just received the Heritage certificate for my 1959 TR3A. Although it is now has a yellow exterior and black interior, according to the certificate it was Silverstone Grey with Targo Purple trim from the factory. I would like to see a picture of such an interior colour or for that matter a good exterior picture of Silverstone Grey - can anyone point me to a good visual resource? My intent was to restore with a cream coloured exterior with tan trim, but this original choice sounds interesting.

Regards,

Randy

64 TR4

59 TR3A in restoration

Randall: Here is a test panel we shot several years ago. The colours numbered 1 through 4 are all supposed to be Silverstone Grey, just different paint companies. We selected No. 2 , which was a DuPont colour. As far as the purple interior is concerned, I believe that Bill P. show a TR2 or early TR3 with that colour interior.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank-

From the remnants of paint on the inner wings, I think choice 2 does look like a reasonable match for what I have - it is a very light grey. Pity you weren't trimmed out in purple, but I'll recheck Mr. Piggott's books for references!

Regards,

Randy

The colours numbered 1 through 4 are all supposed to be Silverstone Grey,

just different paint companies.

Hard to believe they are all supposed to be Silverstone Grey.

I don't have a photo of Targo Purple, but I once had a NOS

TR3A occasional rear seat in that colour - one of the factory's

special clearouts, purchased through Pete Cox.

I would describe targo purple as somewhere between pale lilac and

light grey. Not an unpleasant colour, though not very eye-catching.

A bit insipid really, but it's always nice to see a rare original colour.

AlanR

Hi Alan,

I've seen many years ago two quite different colours supposed to be Targo . . . . although I think that was supposition by the owners rather than proven fact. One was a rather faded colour along the lines of RAL 4009, the other more like 4006 or 4008 . . . . as best I recall, accepting that colour memory isn't that accurate. Neither appealed.

see link http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alan,

I've seen many years ago two quite different colours supposed to be Targo . . . .

although I think that was supposition by the owners rather than proven fact.

One was a rather faded colour along the lines of RAL 4009, the other more like 4006 or 4008 . . . .

as best I recall, accepting that colour memory isn't that accurate. Neither appealed.

see link http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

From my memory, I would say very very close to RAL 4009 but maybe a

quarter shade lighter.

Definitely NOT 4006 or 4008. And that that was a NOS panel.

That's not to say the factory didn't have different shades of targo purple at

different times. Who can say?

Not their usual practice, but I wouldn't say it couldn't happen

Useful colour chart, BTW. Now bookmarked.

AlanR

Don't forget that the 'same colour' could look different on different computer screens

and that they may all be different to the intended colour!

And perception of colour changes with age, believe it or not.

AlanR

Well so far I've read quotes on Targo Purple as being 'absolutely appalling', 'less than wonderful', and 'insipid'. If I drive around in a car like that it will be very confusing to know if the comments are directed at the car or to me!

Randy

Well so far I've read quotes on Targo Purple as being 'absolutely appalling', 'less than wonderful', and 'insipid'. If I drive around in a car like that it will be very confusing to know if the comments are directed at the car or to me!

Randy

You can be sure its the only one like it! ;)

Stuart.

Hmmm... grey with a purple rinse. Nah! reminds me of my granny!

TT

Regards,

Randy

64 TR4

59 TR3A in restoration

I wonder if anyone ever had a Pink Wistaria body with Targo Purple trim ?

Sort of Midnight Cowboy's New Best Friend look ?

Silverstone Grey and Targo Purple together look like nothing so much as limestone slurry and volcanic mud.

Up Pompeii ?

Think hard about your choices, Randy ;)

Cheers,

Alec

I wonder if anyone ever had a Pink Wistaria body with Targo Purple trim ?
For that matter, was Pink Wistaria (or Wisteria, depending on where you see it spelled out) ever used on a TR body? I believe it was used on some Standard saloon cars, and it was used on the early Triumph Heralds, but supposedly only for some dashboard trim and the hoodsticks for the earliest convertibles.

There used to be a 2 running around in Pink Wisteria a few years ago and it had white trim and hood. I think it was registered SEL *** Always featured a lot in The magazine.

Stuart