Do the coil bracket bolts go right through the block into the water jacket,

meaning I am going to get soaked when I remove them to reposition the coil? :unsure:

No and no (I think!)

Better wait for confirmation

AlanR

I have found some of the repro coils do seem to be a bit sensitive to excess heat and the inner wing relocation does help.

Stuart.

I have found some of the repro coils do seem to be a bit sensitive to excess heat and the inner wing relocation does help.

Stuart.

Off topic a bit.... but not only the TR repros Stuart..... I have recently had 4 of the 6 coils on my recently purchased Audi A6 fail!! I don't quite understand the reason for fitting them on top of each spark plug..... cuts down on HT leads I suppose but a very hostile place for electronics.

john

Hi John,

My wife's VR6 4-motion Golf had the same problem and when I spoke to the garage about this, they informed me that the earlier Audi/VW coils were not as reliable as the later ones. This does seem to be the case since the new ones have now been running for nearly 8 years on this car.

Incidentally the reason for the coil/spark plug combination was to allow for simple electronic ignition design at low voltages and the removal of the need for a high voltage distributor and rotor arm. (Cost savings as usual - not that this is passed on to the motorist).

TT

Off topic a bit.... but not only the TR repros Stuart..... I have recently had 4 of the 6 coils on my recently purchased Audi A6 fail!! I don't quite understand the reason for fitting them on top of each spark plug..... cuts down on HT leads I suppose but a very hostile place for electronics.

john

Don you are one lucky man. ;) I can send you my old coil and you can try it out in its original position. If you get more than 20 miles without a missfire then you can fill in my Lotto ticket. :lol: I will be glad when my engine bay looks as good as yours.

Just goes to show that having a car you know the full history of helps it to keep running in original trim. I believe by all the parts that came with my car, that the previous owner had been trying to resolve the missfire which I have been suffering with. The car would run great for about 8 -10 miles and then go into missfire. Let it cool down and it would be fine. It looks like the previous owner had fitted new points, condensor, dizzy cap, leads, plugs and coil, only for the coil to be a poor quality replacement. I should have test drove it for longer.

I hope the missfire is now cured, so I can get out and just drive.

Do the coil bracket bolts go right through the block into the water jacket, meaning I am going to get soaked when I remove them to reposition the coil? :unsure:

No. Drilled and tapped holes in a boss cast into the side of the block. see photo below

Edited by angelfj
here's how I mounted mine:

P1020253.jpg

Menno

Menno: your car is a work of art. It belongs (some day when you are too old to drive it) in the Rijksmuseum.

I also have been meaning to congratulate you (and your country) for a very fine baseball team. I must be honest and admit that I was nat aware that american style baseball was played in Europe!

When I owned my first TR, a 4A model, back in 1967, my girl friend (now my wife of 40 years) and I used to drive in the TR to see the Philadelphia Phillies practice during spring training. Of course they are a very fine professional team, having won last years championship!

Edited by angelfj
Thanks for the replies.

I will remove the old coil and fit my new one to the inner wing.

Jack: I have owned three TR's, a TR4A, a TR250 and a TR3A, all with the coil mounted on the engine block. In my opinion the incremental gain in coil life is not worth the effort. If you were intending to prepare your car for full racing conditions, perhaps I might agree.

Just my 2 pence!

No. Drilled and tapped holes in a boss cast into the side of the block. see photo below

Correct, but you can't see that from the photo.

Compare, though, with the generator bracket fixing bolts -

they DO go all the way to the inside of the block.

That's why these ones are wired - to prevent loosening

and the resulting leaks.

AlanR

Correct, but you can't see that from the photo.

Compare, though, with the generator bracket fixing bolts -

they DO go all the way to the inside of the block.

That's why these ones are wired - to prevent loosening

and the resulting leaks.

AlanR

This is why I asked the question about the Coil mounting bolts. Thanks again for all your comments.

Regards Jack.

Edited by Jack Horner