Painting Radiator

With having the rad out of the car for having the cylinder head done, thoughtI would give it a bit of a clean up. Was just going to paint the out side bits with some black hammerite or similar. However, I've been told that it should be OK just to spray the lot, fins and all without affecting performance. Anyone any know if this is a bad idea and if I should stick to the outside parts or if there is a better product to use?

I've been told that it should be OK just to spray the lot, fins and all

without affecting performance.

Any paint on the radiator will act as insulation so if you're going

to do it, spray the hammerite (smoothrite?) thinly.

That's what I did, but I do have an electric fan.

Suggest you DON'T brush it on - too thick, especially on the fins.

AlanR

Best overall finish can really only be achieved from spraying!

The original colour is satin black I believe,but up to you what colour or finish you go for!!

The best value cans of paint I have found is the Simoniz 500ml range!

IMHO,hammered finishes dont look right on certain items,especially those that can be seen!

IMHO,hammered finishes dont look right on certain items, especially those

that can be seen!

I would say ONLY those that cannot be seen!

Does anyone still use the hammered finish?

Hammerite smoothrite can give a good finish but it's

not cheap and not so easy to get a good finish.

Spray it on very thinly and you should get a semi-gloss

finish that will look better than full gloss.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Well, there is a smooth Hammerite and it has the merit of permitting - indeed requiring - several coats in rapid succession for a quick job. But I find Hammerite rather brittle and I'm not sure how it would respond to the constant temperature change of a radiator.

Perhaps best to use a radiator paint, then it won't flake off. Such as this - others available

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?pro...Subcat=Eastwood

Ivor

Sorry meant Hammerite smooth satin black. As long as I can coat the whole thing thats spot on, and have also bought a kenlowe to kit to fit when I put it back together. Another job to add to the list, going to try and clean up the throttle bodies on saturday as well!

Sorry meant Hammerite smooth satin black. As long as I can coat the whole thing thats spot on, and have also bought a kenlowe to kit to fit when I put it back together. Another job to add to the list, going to try and clean up the throttle bodies on saturday as well!

Frost do a paint for radiators which is heat resistant in a can satin finish for £10. I have used the standard stain finish paints and they do look good but chip off easily especially the header which is easily seen. I am going to try the Frost (www.frost.co.uk), withstands 120 C and wwont interfere with heat transfer (so the catalogue says)

I used one of the special radiator spray cans from Frost on my radiator when I had it out whilst my car was being painted.

It looked very good after I had finished it. I can't say how it performed after spraying because I dropped a ratchet/socket onto it and put a big hole in it - fool!

Roger