experience of surrey conversion?

Hi Guys

The original Surrey is pants and I am looking for a reliable replacement that doesn't come off at high... or low speed... or when a sparrow farts in close proximity.

I Like the look of the Revington option but don't know anyone who has one fitted.

Is there a hard top 'moon' type two piece conversion available that would store in the boot?

Any ideas would be welcome.

We're just gearing up for a continental tour and fresh air motoring where a convenient reliable centre 'Surrey' top application is required.

The original whatever you do with it is never 100% reliable, I want a reliable alternative. Fiddly doesn't bother me as long as it works.

Cheers

Darren

Darren,

I think Harry has one on the Revington Surrey tops fitted to his TR5.

As a thought, how did the surrey normally fit to the TR5? Was it in the same way as on the TR4?

Revington TR can supply you with a two-piece alloy hard centre section that will then fit in the boot, or elsewhere.

I wonder why the Triumph designers never imagined that an owner may want to remove the hard centre section whilst away from home. It seems obvious now!

David

The Revington one is V expensive and you do have to paint it and assemble it yourself. Its not too difficult to make your own version of it. It consists of the header rail from a TR6 hood frame and the rest is pretty much similar to a standard tube frame which is welded to the header and the rear bar is sewn into the hooding material. It folds in half so that it will still fit in the boot. The advantage is that the front end is positively located in the screen frame by the original TR6 type handles. For earlier 4/4a I suspect that the header frame from a 4a with the over centre catches could be used , otherwise the top of the screen frame would need work to take the later socket fixings.

I have an American made version here although it looks a bit "MK1 version" and needs a bit of tidying. It does fit well though.

Stuart.

Hi Darren,

the original surrey soft top should fit OK. If your problem is that it detaches from the front then there are two possible causes.

1. the gap between the frame capping and frame is too big. This can't easily be closed up.

2. the metal strip that is enclosed in the front pouch of the soft top that fits into the above gap is too narrow for the gap.

It is possible to remake this strip apprx 1/16 to 1/8th wider (use stainless if possible). A bit of trial and error may be needed.

Revingtons do make soft surrey tops based on a convertable front rail.

The idea is spot on but the soft top fit isn't always too good from what I've seen (ask the North London Group) a bit baggy.

The split ali hard top gives the impression of the complete answer. However if you can get it into your boot there will be not room for the bag of crisps. Being ali they are quite soft and could easily get dented and they cost mucho wonga.

There must be a way of fitting the one piece hard top above the boot on spigots etc and use it as a spoiler like on a Subaru - boy racer here we come.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

The original convertible top/hood on my TR4 works ok - no leaks, and open air motoring when I stow it in the trunk/boot ;) .

Hi Guys

Thank you for all of the advice. I have tried everything with the original and a different header rail which works for a while and then WHOOPH! off it comes, bending the frame and last time damaging the top of the rear screen. So its been hard top since... perfect, apart from not being able to take it with you when off, although I do like the boy racer spoiler idea thanks Roger. Pimp my ride!

I might have a study of this myself... now where is that drill?

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren,

Quick question - is the surrey you have original to the car (fitted at the factory?). I ask, because if it has been retrofitted at some point to your car, the windshield capping piece may not be installed correctly. There is a bit of gasket material fitted under the surrey ready windshield cap (about an 1/8th inch thick if I remember correctly) towards the front of the windshield frame. Anyway, I wonder if focusing on the windshield capping itself may solve your problem? If its not set up correctly it may not be giving enough overhang for the surrey to securely wrap around/on to. Just a thought.

I've retrofitted two surrey's onto cars and (its been into the teen number of years ago) the setup of the windscreen cap was always a bit of a pain if I remember correctly.

Cheers....Dan

Hi Dan

Yes it is a retro fit and it could be slightly out. I've decided to fit a new screen capping and then modify my existing hood frame and hood allowing it to be secured with a custom front plate sown into the hood and with two studs that will fasten through the existing hard top securing points.

It may all end in tears but if it's successful I'll post some pictures.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Dan

Yes it is a retro fit and it could be slightly out. I've decided to fit a new screen capping and then modify my existing hood frame and hood allowing it to be secured with a custom front plate sown into the hood and with two studs that will fasten through the existing hard top securing points.

It may all end in tears but if it's successful I'll post some pictures.

Cheers

Darren

Darren be careful of the repro 4 cappings as the lip isnt quite right and when fitted leaves very little room to get the front bar under it sufficently. Best to find a good s/hand one.

Stuart.

OK

After studying the design and doing some test fits and Stuart very kindly sending some pictures of a smart US mod, it is apparent that the bar and studs at the rear of the surrey top do also fit the front screen frame securing holes.

My plan is to obtain or fabricate a copy of this rear fastening apparatus and have it sown into the front edge. Drill the frame so that the stud fastenings will pass through it and bolt everything into place as per the hard top.

For sealing at the front edge I will use a rubber seal either attached or separate that can be sandwiched down as the surrey is put in place.

I'll take a look at the cosmetics of the front edge once the modification is in place and decide on a final tidying up over a glass of something or other.

Does anyone know if the components/internals of a surrey are available anywhere? Otherwise I'll look to purchase a basket case one to cannibalise.

Cheers

Darren

OK

After studying the design and doing some test fits and Stuart very kindly sending some pictures of a smart US mod, it is apparent that the bar and studs at the rear of the surrey top do also fit the front screen frame securing holes.

My plan is to obtain or fabricate a copy of this rear fastening apparatus and have it sown into the front edge. Drill the frame so that the stud fastenings will pass through it and bolt everything into place as per the hard top.

For sealing at the front edge I will use a rubber seal either attached or separate that can be sandwiched down as the surrey is put in place.

I'll take a look at the cosmetics of the front edge once the modification is in place and decide on a final tidying up over a glass of something or other.

Does anyone know if the components/internals of a surrey are available anywhere? Otherwise I'll look to purchase a basket case one to cannibalise.

Cheers

Darren

I have had the same problem with the 250. Any chance you might share the photos and details with the rest of the group?

OK

Cheers

Darren

You can buy the soft top frame and rear bar seperate, not sure about the 3 pieces that are sewn in the front though.

Stuart.

Hi Frank

I'll post some pictures of the mod i'm creating as soon as done... I'm taking a slightly different approach in deciding to affix the front edge in the same manner that the back edge is attached. I think the tension in the hood will be the most difficult thing to achieve.

Cheers

Darren

You can buy the soft top frame and rear bar seperate, not sure about the 3 pieces that are sewn in the front though.

Stuart.

I couldn't get the soft top on my newly acquired TR4A to stay in place - kept popping out at the front. On further investigation I discovered that the previous owner had used some odd bits of aluminum for 2 of the bars and the 3rd was half a hack-saw blade! I got 3 replacement steel bars from Moss and it now fits perfectly, happily staying in place at 70mph+. :rolleyes:

Edited by badshead

Darren

Quickest fix is to use a TR4a hood frame header rail and weld to the surrey top frame. This allows you to have a positive retention on the front of the hood, so no more flapping off at 60mph.

You need to buy a TR4a hoodframe and cut off the front header rail and get the two chrome catches and the bits that attach to the screen surround. The females can be self tappered into the TR4 surround (or just replace and use a 4a surround id youre changing anyway).

Its a good mod, ive done it myself 3 times now and it looks absolutely original.

The Revington TR mod is probably better as you can undo the catches from the TR6 more easily and have no big chrome things hanging about, but its the same amount or work plus you definately need to change the windscreen surround.

Regards

Tony