Front end rebuild

Tony, looks like you have braided hose going from the brake pipe to the caliper bracket, what do you have going from there into the caliper ?. Is it the usual curved short pipe or do you have a short braided section there also ?

Stan

Hey Stan,

It's the usual curved pipe (new of course). Piccie attached.

Cheers

Tony

post-6273-1235026360_thumb.jpg

post-6273-1235026360_thumb.jpg

Hey Stan,

It's the usual curved pipe (new of course). Piccie attached.

Cheers

Tony

That really is a work of art Tony. How the heck are you going to be able to drive it in the street ?

I have some SS braided short hoses on order that will replace the fixed pipe. I saw some at a show

last year and I think they will hold up better than the rigid steel pipe.

Stan

Edited by foster461
That really is a work of art Tony. How the heck are you going to be able to drive it in the street ?

I have some SS braided short hoses on order that will replace the fixed pipe. I saw some at a show

Stan

Thanks Stan, how do you mean, 'how are you going to drive it on the street'?...do you think I will have a legal problem with it?.

I would also be interested in the short braided hoses when you get the details.

Cheers

Tony

Stan

Will they be able to cope with the short curve that is required Stan?

Stuart.

Thanks Stan, how do you mean, 'how are you going to drive it on the street'?...do you think I will have a legal problem with it?.

I would also be interested in the short braided hoses when you get the details.

Cheers

Tony

:rolleyes: No, I mean how can you get that work of art dirty !.

Stuart, the short SS braided hoses are either pre-shaped and/or are flexible. I should have them in my hand shortly, I'll post pictures. Ted Schumacher of TSI makes them up and also sells proper kevlar shoes and pads.

Stan

:rolleyes: No, I mean how can you get that work of art dirty !.

Stuart, the short SS braided hoses are either pre-shaped and/or are flexible. I should have them in my hand shortly, I'll post pictures. Ted Schumacher of TSI makes them up and also sells proper kevlar shoes and pads.

Stan

Nah.....it's gonna be used A LOT!... :D We don't get that much dirt on our roads Stan. I want to have fun in this car, all weathers...Looking forward to getting the hose details.

Cheers

Tony

Nah.....it's gonna be used A LOT!... :D We don't get that much dirt on our roads Stan. I want to have fun in this car, all weathers...Looking forward to getting the hose details.

Cheers

Tony

Sorry to have scared you. Dont forget to put the lock stop back on the trunnion.

Stan

Just got the package from TSI. The braided front and rear hoses, two short flexible hoses to go to the calipers and a braided hose for the oil pressure gauge (I've accidentally broken the plastic tube twice in the past).

DSC_0002.jpg

Hi Stan

Check when fitting some are nearside and offside ie: different lengths

Neil

Hi Stan,

Do you have contact details for TSI or a website link?. I like the braided oil hose too.

Cheers

Tony

This is Ted Schumacher, TSI

http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/

The short hoses were $9.95 each (he needs to know which caliper of course, mine were PB's)

The oil pressure gauge line was $32.95

The 4 braided hoses were $79.95

A set of rear shoes and front pads in Kevlar were $120.00 (exchange)

Should have the TR back on its wheels this weekend but too much snow and too frigging cold to venture out for a test.

Stan

This is Ted Schumacher, TSI

http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/

The short hoses were $9.95 each (he needs to know which caliper of course, mine were PB's)

The oil pressure gauge line was $32.95

The 4 braided hoses were $79.95

A set of rear shoes and front pads in Kevlar were $120.00 (exchange)

Should have the TR back on its wheels this weekend but too much snow and too frigging cold to venture out for a test.

Stan

Thanks for the info Stan, much appreciated

Cheers

Tony

Here's an attempt at pictures of the SS hoses installed. Hard to get a decent shot.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Stan

I hope the first pic is on full lock ? the nylock nut on the upper joint should have some thread showing through

Neil

Edited by ntc
Stan

I hope the first pic is on full lock ? the nylock nut on the upper joint should have some thread showing through

Neil

The first pic is on full lock although I'm going to muck with the bracket under the caliper bolt and see if a different angle relieves the stress on the longer hose.

Not sure what is going on with the ball joint, I'll have to have another look at that as it is torqued up, perhaps it was not seated correctly in the vertical link..

Stan

Not sure what is going on with the ball joint, I'll have to have another look at that as it is torqued up, perhaps it was not seated correctly in the vertical link..

Stan

So the ball joint thing is due to the nuts that came with the new ball joints. They are quite a bit taller than the originals and so the threads only just reach to the bottom of the nut. If I put an original nut onto the new ball joint I have the same amount of exposed thread as before. The new nuts will probably work as the thread does extend beyond the nylon ring but only just.

These ball joints came from TRF, I have some alternatives ones on the way from Moss and I'll see if they are different. I have noticed that in general many of the modern fasteners that I have used are bulkier than the originals even though the grade and threads are the same.

Perhaps one of Tony's pictures will zoom into his ball joint for comparison.

Stan

Hi Stan,

There does appear to be difference in the size of some fasteners lately. If I remember correctly, I changed the nyloc nut that came with my new ball joints as I wasn't happy the amount of thread extending out.

Piccie attached.

Cheers

Tony

post-6273-1235266001_thumb.jpg

post-6273-1235266001_thumb.jpg

Hi Stan,

There does appear to be difference in the size of some fasteners lately. If I remember correctly, I changed the nyloc nut that came with my new ball joints as I wasn't happy the amount of thread extending out.

Piccie attached.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, do you have a washer between the nut and the top of the vertical link or is just the nut ?

Stan

Hi Stan,

Piccie attached.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,on your trunnion do you not have the outer and the inner large washers fitted ,from looking at the photo i cannot see the outer ones or maybe its my eyesight, too many late nights.

Hey fella's,

Stan, There is no washer behind the nut, it's just locked to the arm.

Niall, the washers you describe are definitely fitted.

Cheers

Tony

PS...Kitchen nearly finished, can get on with my car then....HOORAY!!... :D

Hey fella's,

Stan, There is no washer behind the nut, it's just locked to the arm.

Niall, the washers you describe are definitely fitted.

Cheers

Tony

PS...Kitchen nearly finished, can get on with my car then....HOORAY!!... :D

Dont you just love the scrutiny that is applied to any picture posted. Really it is quite helpful once you get over the initial panic.

My old new ball joints came with a washer and the old old ones had a washer. I'll see what the new ones have tomorrow and also compare the height of my nuts :P .

Stan

Hi Tony,

Lovely suspension work there :rolleyes:

If you haven't proceeded beyond the picture you posted you may want to remove the paint from the steering link's tapered hole before fitting the rack ball joint's mating male taper. Paint will " lubricate " the interface in an undesirable fashion. I have seen where others have done this with the wheel spindle taper too, a rather more serious location where loosening would be more " consequential " <_< .

Hi Tom and Neil,

Many thanks for your input, it is definitely appreciated. I did clean out the holes before fitting the tapered shaft (thankfully). I think you are correct that a washer should be under the nuts. It's funny as I was thinking this after the previous posts so will do.

I don't mind 'scrutiny' at all. In fact I welcome it (I'm not perfect and do make mistakes)...so if I make a cock up, I need to be told otherwise I'll never know... :)

Cheers fella's

Tony

I don't mind 'scrutiny' at all. In fact I welcome it (I'm not perfect and do make mistakes)...so if I make a cock up, I need to be told otherwise I'll never know... :)

In that case let me inquire about the shock mount as the top rubber buffer is missing, the lock nut is missing and the cup washer is upside down...

Stan