Are TR3 and TR3a exhausts the same?

Hi all,

Topic title says it all really. What, if any, are the differences between the TR3 and TR3a exhausts?

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Early TR3's had one 24" muffler in front of the diff, then in mid 1956 at either car TS 11384 or TS 11716 (records aren't clear) a second 12" muffler was added to the tail pipe to cut noise levels. All TR3A's had the two mufflers.

Both were 5" wide x 3" deep.

If replacing the front muffler, a 20" x 5" x 3" is easier to fit than a 24".

Many owners find that with modern glasspak technology, only a front muffler is needed, but of course it's very much personal choice as to the desired noise level.

Regards,

Viv.

Apart from the difference Viv wrote about, there must be a difference between supplier too, nowadays. I ordered one a few days before Christmas 2007, collected the package from a well reputated TR restorer / entrepeneur overhere in Holland. During Spring 2008 I found out that fitting this exhaust didn't fit at all: the muffler was too big to fit between the chassis rails. Alan (the guy who did the daytime restorations jobs for me) had to cut corners off the muffler to make it fit.

Next time, I will take mesurements and l'll visit a motorcycle dealer nearby. They build bespoke mufflers for Ducati etc. I will ask them to build one (or two) for me, to fit them between exhaust pipes that I will bend myself. (Okay, I can use the tools to do this work).

Menno

Thanks All!

Viv,

This is the exaust in question. It is a Falcon system with twin box

fe97_2.JPG

Cheers, Ian

I bought my stainless steel exhaust system from Cox & Buckles in 1988. I think it was a Falcon. It has been in use since 1990 (100,000 miles). The bend in the pipe at the front end of the "resonator" (that's what they used to call the 2nd shorter one) was too straight and I had trouble getting it to fit without it hitting the differential and also against the frame back near where it is supported by the hanger. I had to force the bend to be more severe. Also, I had to angle the hanger about 20 degrees off the true vertical to get it all to fit and still get the bolt through the top end of the hanger where it is secured under the rear valance.

When it's fitted up Ian, you'll find there's very little clearance top and bottom through the chassis cross.

This is where you get that familiar TR grinding noise under your backside, when the exhaust snicks the chassis cross over rough roads.

I've posted before that I squash the front muffler entry pipe slightly oval where it leaves the chassis cross, for improved clearance and no nasty noises.

The improved TR4 type front exhaust clamp that picks up from the gearbox mount is worthwhile.

Ideally the end chrome tip should kick upwards like the original, to avoid low ground clearance disasters when backing up.

Regards,

Viv.

I bought my stainless steel exhaust system from Cox & Buckles in 1988. I think it was a Falcon.

I have the same 2-box system from the same source and era, but connected to a SAH/TriumphTune mild steel 4-branch manifold via the rear half of the original downpipe. No problems fitting it, but I suspect the current versions are not to the same spec.

As I pointed out many tens of years ago in what was then the Newsletter (pre-cursor to TRaction), the TR4 Bracket Assembly 130888 is an inexpensive and most worthwhile retrofit item for any TR2/3/3A - it's the ONLY way of positioning precisely the exhaust pipework BEFORE it passes into the rectangular box in the centre of the chassis. Get that positioning right (and one can always pack, with washers/spacers, between the circular clip and the hanging bracket to get the positioning exactly right) and then one has only to worry about the back end. Without that bracket, a movement at the very rear of the system can cause the pipework to touch the inside of the rectangular box in the chassis - very frustrating!

Ian Cornish

This (i.e. the Exhaust system) is a subject that I have been thinking about for a while.

Its a long way off, but ready for when I get around to reassembling my 3a, I have acquired through ebay a Phoenix PXTH400 4 branch SS manifold and a 24 inch SS Tailpipe box (FS5001) as illustrated on page A11 of the current Moss catalogue.

I was planning to join these two up with a length of 2" stainless pipe that I can get made up locally.

The various posts here seem to be suggesting that I will need an additional box at the front of the system and that a single 24" tailpipe box is not enough.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case. I don't want a completely silent car but on the other hand I also don't want to be totally illegal.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

I have a stainless steel system that I bought from Cambridge Motorsport a few years ago for my 3A. It uses just the one rear silencer box. The quality and performance are excellent, however it is quite noisy. It runs at just over 100db, so when I use it for some track days I have to use a little extra box bolted on to the back to bring it down below 98db. It can also get a little tiring on motorways, still better than a radio though.

Cheers, peterm

Thanks All,

The system in question is rather old but still in full working order and, importantly, has been fitted to a TR3 for some years so I assume it is fit for purpose. However I am interested in the TR4 mount that has been mentioned above, I assume it is a simple job to fit and uses the 3a mounting points?

Ian

Hi Ian,

a single 2' box on 2" piping was all I ever used in the days when I ran a 3A and later a Doretti, albeit mild steel rather than stainless. Loud, but tolerable for long distance driving.

Totally illegal is perhaps a bit of a misnomer on an old car anyway, our 7V8 is audible at a mile range on a quiet day, rattles the windows in the village square, but that doesn't worry the bobbies. Our chum Jonathan was here yesterday in his freshly resprayed 400bhp Cobra, the real thing not a replica, and that shakes the walls not the windows . . . . twin 3" pipes and a single silencer on each, even on tickover you can hear it half a mile away. On a clear day at full throttle you can hear it for ever. Just the thing for a bit of sideways on slippery stuff, J couldn't resist getting it grubby. Again, the boys in blue just grin and mutter about 'nothing like a real V8'. Maybe it's a West Country thing ?

Cheers,

Alec

Part 130888 takes the place of the large nut beneath the righthand rear gearbox mounting (the part has its own captive nut) and 130890 is the circular clamp which attaches to this bracket and fits round the exhaust pipe at the join of the sections - purchase both from Moss. See Newsletter 23 or Section A10 of the Technicalities CD.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Chaps,

TR4 bracket on its way!