Windscreen Installation

Hello

I have my refurbished windscreen frame ready for installation. I have pushed the frame though the brackets as far as I dare but still have some more to go. I am thinking about tightening the lower nut and using this to pull the frame into the bracket. Is this the way it is done or am I risking damaging something doing it this way? Other thing is that the seal below the windscreen is folding itself under the frame and I can't quite get my fingers underneath to pull it out. Is there a technique to this also?

Another question not related to the windscreen - what is the best way to re-install the bonnet, is it with or without the hinges bolted to the bonnet? I am thinking with the hinges already on the bonnet but would be grateful for some advice from someone who's done it already without scratching their paintwork.

Thanks

Myles

Hello

I have my refurbished windscreen frame ready for installation. I have pushed the frame though the brackets as far as I dare but still have some more to go. I am thinking about tightening the lower nut and using this to pull the frame into the bracket. Is this the way it is done or am I risking damaging something doing it this way? Other thing is that the seal below the windscreen is folding itself under the frame and I can't quite get my fingers underneath to pull it out. Is there a technique to this also?

Another question not related to the windscreen - what is the best way to re-install the bonnet, is it with or without the hinges bolted to the bonnet? I am thinking with the hinges already on the bonnet but would be grateful for some advice from someone who's done it already without scratching their paintwork.

Thanks

Myles

Hi Myles,

I would be interested to know about the windscreen too.

With the bonnet, if it is originally from your car and the hinges have not been removed or loosened then leave them where they are. Otherwise, it is up to you, but what you will find is that getting the bonnet aligned with the hinges all properly located to get the best overall fit is a time-consuming and frustrating process.

Good luck with this.

TT

Myles

Getting the seal at the base to "sit correctly " is important.I would get this sorted before struggling to fit the windscreen to the car.i.e remove it and have a second go ( see later remarks about the frame ).

In this cold weather probably best getting the seal installed inside the house where it is warm.I left mine in a bucket of hot water and then dried and fitted it to the base whist the seal was still pliable.I gaffer taped the edges in places, where the overlaps on the edges were making a bid for freedom, until the rubber had settled correctly.

Second part, have the frame mounting brackets in situ but loose'ish, not too much.... but enough to allow some freedom.Grease the insides of the brackets and the outsides of the prongs of the windscreen.A helper comes in handy, so that the frame can go in dead square.If you are doing it on your own, take your time and tamp it down equally.Make sure your hand blows are in line with the angle of the screen and not vertical.

When the seal starts to reach pinch point... pause and check it is still in the correct position.A flat plastic scrapper ( body filler type ) or a cut up plastic squezzy washing up bottle will get under the seal to straighten it out if necessary, without marking the paint work.

Tightening up the last bit with the bolts worked for me.Use the three cover plates along the base of the screen to assist.Do it all evenly a little at a time.

Your mate exerting gentle pressure on the top of the frame at the same time will help the process go smoothly.

Good luck.

Bob

The initial pull down of the screen may be a lot easier if you use standard nuts on the screen pillars rather than the lock nuts that I assume are on the 4 as they are on the 6.

It's also necessary to seal with a good bead of something like gutter sealant under the rubber scuttle seal.

You'll find a fair few threads about this on the TR6 forum. Example:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....ic=12926&hl=

Unless you are doing a resto from scratch you also need to consider the alignment of the screen to the side windows.

Ivor

Thanks

Myles

Myles,

The easiest way for bonnet alignment is to remove the headlamps and get access through the apertures after loosely attaching hinges to the wings

john