Emergency bonnet release

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a secondary bonnet release mechanism? None listed on ebay at present...

Thanks

Eli I think this may help, make your own! ;)

Emergency bonnet release.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

If the main cable is properly lubricated, and by that I mean using something like copper ease you should be okay.

I replaced the main one and fitted a spare in the driver footwell a couple of months back.

I lubricated the main one with said product, and can operate it with the slightest of movement on the t-piece. I must have popped the hood some 50 times in that time too :blink:

I really don't see how I will ever need to use the aux one.

Eli

I bought one of these -

EMERGENCY RELEASE

He doesn't have any listed at the moment, but he seems to have sold a lot of them. From my point of view, it was easy to fit and works very well.

Maybe worth dropping him a line to see if he is going to do them again.

They are from the US, but I remember it arrived quickly and instructions were very good and easy to follow.

I have not connection with this seller.

Roger

Edited by Pogo
Eli

I bought one of these -

Emergency catch

He doesn't have any listed at the moment, but he seems to have sold a lot of them. From my point of view, it was easy to fit and works very well.

Maybe worth dropping him a line to see if he is going to do them again.

They are from the US, but I remember it arrived quickly and instructions were very good and easy to follow.

I have not connection with this seller.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Your link doesn't seem to go anywhere - I get an error when I click on it.

TT

I finally got around to making mine this morning. It worked very well. The only slight hitch is that it was about 1/16" too long and it touched on the firewall thus not allowing full movement. Quickly unscrewed and filed a bit off and all is now good.

The change I made from the above link was to put the unit on the inside. Thus the only visible indication of the system when looking at the engine is the presence of an extra nut head. I used some 3mm cord and passed it through the grommet with the heater cable etc and it pulls easily through into the drivers footwell (RHD). This is assisted by the location of the lever inside the bonnet catch.

• 4 weeks later...

Fitted a bonnet release latch from Macy's Garage today. Took about 30mins as it was freezing cold and we only had metric spanners. Works a treat! One less thing to worry about now, especially given the freezing temperatures outside...