Hi Guy,

it's not being priced as a TR so much as a passport to high-profile motoring social events for the well-heeled. The marque doesn't matter so much . . . . Triumph, Morgan, MG, Healey, Jaguar, whatever. What counts is the 'international competition history' of the individual car in question, that's what gets the invitations to the prestige gatherings.

Some, a very few, of these famous old sports cars have an unbroken documented history, and unimpeachable provenance. Many others have been less fortunate, buried in obscurity for decades, or changed beyond recognition by many seasons of competitive development - as is the way with competition cars.

SHP 520 started life as a 'works' rallying TR3, competed in 3 or 4 events, became a factory development car, was eventually sold off much-changed as a TR3A. Re-registered, a privateer rally car, supposedly more-or-less written off, rebuilt, re-registered again, and disappeared from history by the early 60s. It re-emerged, or at least its mortal remains did, 30 or more years later. Re-united with its 'original' registration number in, I think, 1995, it was rebuilt in Germany eventually, and hasn't been UK taxed for at least a decade. The rebuild, recreation some might say, returned it to something akin to its 1956 spec, and apparently to a high standard. How much of the original 1956 car remains I don't know, but presumably not a huge amount ?

I can't really imagine anyone being daft enough to offer 170,000 euros for any TR, however famous and totally original it might be. But if someone, somewhere, wishes to pay that for SHP 520 then the best of British to the seller.

Cheers,

Alec

Guy,

As others have already stated, this is a nice TR3 with a works history although possibly an awfully large amount of 'replacement' parts.

I think that the price is a little bit of kite flying as if someone makes contact with them, serious discussions about price to be paid will follow.

I am fairly certain that ultimately it will not sell for this price. It would be interesting to see it appear for sale in a well publicised auction of 'proper' cars. That would decide its true value.

There seems to be a large amount of value placed on a works history.

I know of some rather valuable sidescreen cars and this price is significantly (about £90k) more than any of those.

Some good sidescreen projects have appeared recently. The decision to purchase will always be dictated by price and condition of the body as that will be the expensive bit to restore.

Have you thought about buying a wreck and the rebuilt North Devon Metalcraft TR3a body that has appeared a couple of times on ebay?

There have been comments about this body on the forum but one thing is certain....it isn't rusty!

Tony Sheach also has a good chassis for sale.

These items together, at the right price could well help any restorer rebuild a total wreck with a lot less pain, heartache and expense.

David

Dont talk to me about supposed lost and then rebuilt rally cars :angry::angry: . I would want some very well corroborated documentation to prove it! Its way too easy to with these cars to make something out to be what its not. Especially one presented in very good condition.

Stuart.

Dear me Stuart,

you're even more cynical than I am ! ;)

In an ideal world, one might expect leading marque clubs (and I'm talking all marques now) to be able to definitively categorise the rare and original 'significant' survivors, as distinct from the extensively rebuilt, let alone from the Phoenix-like re-creations. But that doesn't often happen, unfortunately, which is perhaps a reflection of an increasingly litiginous society. The humble respected marque historian or club registrar can't, and daren't, risk a lawsuit from a disgruntled investor . . . .

Like it or not, that is I suggest a direct result of the 'Goodwood' and 'Classic Le Mans' factor. Prestige social events.

There are 'historic' cars out there racing - with chassis, body, engine block, cylinder head, gearbox, axle, all manufactured in the 21st century - let alone all the less significant bits of the cars. But they have the 'right' chassis plate and registration number . . . . and any number of sycophants and acolytes to attest to their 'originality'. Bollocks.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the real fanatic enthusiasts like Bert Smeets and the Le Mans TR8. The guys who'll have original components rebuilt, even things like shock absorbers and brake calipers, rather than replace them with current reproduction items - even though the reproductions are made by the original manufacturers, and come cheaper than reconditioning the originals. Doubtless the motorsport investors would consider this lunacy, and ask why ? But then . . . maybe it's a case of if you need to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer ?

None of which deters the loadsamoney racers, the guys with 21st century re-creations built to precise 1960, 70 or 80 specification. They'll still argue the toss about later modifications to original cars, effected by the original manufacturers, even though the race cars in question are the real deal - old warriors of impeccable provenance which have evolved through the passing years.

We still have at least a few genuine original old competition TRs, which is as good a reason as any to dissuade the idiot fringe from paying stupid money for cars which are not of that ilk.

Cheers,

Alec

Last year this car did spend quite some time in the Red baron Garage in Belgium and it gave me some dirty hands.... but that does not justify the price :lol: When the car was brought in it was totally undriveable and in a desperate technical condition, it was probably rebuilt by a person who had never seen a TR before, the kind of people having only metric bolts in their toolbox, but my friend Jo brought it back in good shape and it's road holding had seriously improved when it left the premisis.

I think as a works car it only has competed in less than half a rally ;)