bonnet bending, how to fix?

Hi, my TR4a bonnet has a slight bend on the nearside about 6 inches from the top (near the windscreen end), right on the edge, it seems the section is really weak there and the previous owner leant on it (a bit). It distorts down about 10mm ish, so not terrible, but needs fixing.

I think this is a regular stress point? Is there a known fix? I am considering welding on a strengthening section locally (on the underside!).

Anyone done this?

Thanks

Nic

I think this is a regular stress point? Is there a known fix? I am considering welding on a strengthening section locally (on the underside!).

Anyone done this?

Probably about 1,000 people, some of whom will hopefully post.

I think it's more likely to have been caused when someone or perhaps years of someones, got hold of the bonnet and hoiked it upwards without first releasing the 'safety' catch.

My 6 has no 'safety' catch, it was broken off, so I bought a new one, then I thought 'why, what for, it's a front-hinged bonnet what on earth do I need a safety catch for?'

So I sold the new catch again, mine's still broken off and will stay that way.

I therefore suggest you cut off your 'safety catch' and throw it in the bin, then your repaired bonnet will stay that way. :P

Ivor

I have welded a stiffener on each side- possibly I should have thought a little bit bigger, but it seems that it will do the job. The idea was cribbed from Revington TRs similar idea.

Rod

I know this is a form of shouting DO NOT CUT OFF THE SAFETY CATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is there for a good reason

Which is ? :P

It is there to prevent the bonnet from flying up in an accident and also going through the screen on impact.I would also think if the latch gave way with out the catch and you had to brake very hard the bonnet could fly upwards and you would then be in danger with the resticted view.I have never in all my years pulled up a bonnet from the near side and I have pulled a few!!!.It is second nature to me to lift from the offside.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :lol:

Harry- If you had a LHD car, like mine was, you would have lifted it from the nearsidewink.gif

My TR4 never had a secondary catch, just the dick with a spring around it.

Rod

Edited by Rhodri
Harry- If you had a LHD car, like mine was, you would have lifted it from the nearsidewink.gif

My TR4 never had a secondary catch, just the dick with a spring around it.

Rod

If you are going down the Ross/Brand road explain yourself young man words like this are just NOT cricket, and I dont understand anyway.

I also have to give you a SEVERE reprimand Rod, in your Movie showing your rebuild (Pardekooper IS good mate) you have an angle grinder

WITHOUT the guard on. I had one of these and we had a couple of slip ups, seriously if you have to take off the guard its not the tool for the job.

I was extremely lucky when the grinder I was using (without the guard) broke the thin cutting disc, the reaction was severe, it jumped from my gloved

hands into my neck, they spin at a phenominal rate and skin bone and arteries dont stop them. The hospital told me I was very very lucky.

we should all take more care for we all think it can never happen to me.

Nic

I'd endorse Rhodri's solution, a reinforcing piece welded onto the two corners.I used Revingtons because it followed the curves nicely and being curved at an angle, was more rigid for support than a flat triangle affair.

Put in plenty of plug holes and weld in.Clamp well to make sure both the edges are straight.A great improvement on the original design.

Picture in Roger Williams How to restore Triumph TR4 & TR4A Page 56 top left.

Bob

I would be inclined to make your own plates as the Revington ones will set you back nearly £60!!! :angry: by the time they are delivered. R&D cant be that much for two bits of 18 gauge.

Stuart.

Didn't even know that bonnets on the TR4 had a safety catch. Mine doesn't.

TR4s werent fitted with them originally anyway.

Stuart.

Hi Chris, nearside is left.

Re 'safety catch' I appreciate the theory, but I'd be amazed if the bonnet would pop up under braking, the centre of gravity is too far back. Perhaps we could have a Pop the Bonnet competition at Malvern....

Now if it were a rear-hinged bonnet that would be a different matter, the bonnet of my Landy popped up at 50mph a few weeks ago, it does rather obstruct one's vision, fortunately the bonnet stay is stout and permanently attached.

But as for that flimsy TR apology for a catch restraining the bonnet in a crash, well :lol::lol::lol:

I hope the clot who designed it never got to design anything else.

However in these difficult times we must not overlook the fact that it serves to generate employment for the Amalgamated Union of Bonnet Straighteners. :P

Ivor

However in these difficult times we must not overlook the fact that it serves to generate employment for the Amalgamated Union of Bonnet Straighteners. :P

Ivor

That will be me then! ;):lol:

Stuart

It is there to prevent the bonnet from flying up in an accident and also going through the screen on impact.I would also think if the latch gave way with out the catch and you had to brake very hard the bonnet could fly upwards and you would then be in danger with the resticted view.I have never in all my years pulled up a bonnet from the near side and I have pulled a few!!!.It is second nature to me to lift from the offside.

Have driven with bonnet popped on 4s to aid cooling, nothing happens bonnet wise. On a 3 however if the bonnet pops open I can confirm that at high speed if it opens it does block view but only for a second or so, but does not fly through screen... hinges snap and it goes up and away. Depending on your speed it can then take an appreciable time to come down again, long enough when this happened, for my driver and I to get a hell of a fright when it crash landed very nearby while we were peering round saying "Can't see it anywhere, can you". Of course this could be a one off fluke as it's not something you set out to repeat.

Mike

When testing one of the many TR2/3 in the early 60's and being driven by a fellow mechanic at the garage I worked at when I was young,at speed the bonnet sprung up,smashed the window screen and took off.This was in Fryant Way,Kingsbury NW9 and I will never forget it.Testing another TR2/3 by the same mechanic we went sideways into a roundabout and smashed the nearside suspension.PDI'i many of the then brand new MGB' but no accidents in these that I can remember.They were very exciting days when I was a teenager.The garage also used to supply Motorcycles and Cars for the Film set in Pinewood,Elstree etc..Oh happy days!!.Never in those days did I think I would own my very own TR with my rear hanging out of my trousers.Those of my age will know the proper terminoligy and meaning.

I still drive my TR5 very hard!!

Edited by harrytr5