Hi all,

I used to be a Register member in the UK when I had my TR3 but have sold it and the Roadster 2000 and moved to Oz for at least the next 4 years. I am looking for a TR to replace my absent friends and have located a 1963 TR4 which looks to be in very good reconditioned mechanical condition and good interior / exterior condition. Overdrive. Chrome wires etc. It has both Hard & Surrey tops. As far as I can tell it is complete. The only thing wrong seems to be that the dash has been covered in leatherette as 4A. Front Bumper and original steering wheel are included in sale.

I have no real knowledge of values so the question is what would it be worth in the UK. I can make the adjustments for being the other side of the world.

I realise that its only worth as much as anyone is prepared to pay but roughly what is it £9k, £11k, £13k more / less ????

Any guidance welcome.

http://www.selinger.co.uk/3863842.jpg

http://www.selinger.co.uk/3863866.jpg

Hi all,

I used to be a Register member in the UK when I had my TR3 but have sold it and the Roadster 2000 and moved to Oz for at least the next 4 years. I am looking for a TR to replace my absent friends and have located a 1963 TR4 which looks to be in very good reconditioned mechanical condition and good interior / exterior condition. Overdrive. Chrome wires etc. It has both Hard & Surrey tops. As far as I can tell it is complete. The only thing wrong seems to be that the dash has been covered in leatherette as 4A. Front Bumper and original steering wheel are included in sale.

I have no real knowledge of values so the question is what would it be worth in the UK. I can make the adjustments for being the other side of the world.

I realise that its only worth as much as anyone is prepared to pay but roughly what is it £9k, £11k, £13k more / less ????

Any guidance welcome.

http://www.selinger.co.uk/3863842.jpg

http://www.selinger.co.uk/3863866.jpg

Ian provided the underneath and the inner structure is as good as it looks on top then 9k would be a pretty good price over here. Our friends from your part of the world may have a better idea of local values for it or may even know the car.

Stuart.

I would maybe expect it to go for nearer 11 over here [pre credit crunch, which seems to have put a question mark over the value of everything] assuming, as Stuart says, that the inner is as good as the outer. I'm basing that on the fact that it has already been converted to thin belt/alternator, has overdrive and Surrey top - all things which might arguably attach a premium, depending on how the potential buyer values them. On the downside they've kept the mechanical fan which negates a little bit of the advantage of the thin belt. It also has a 4A radiator which I wouldn't have an issue with but some might. I would also hazard a guess that it has benefited from a respray, unless the owner has always parked in the shade!

They've also made the effort to fit a proper secondary bonnet release cable - little touches like that might incline me to be hopeful that the seller has made the effort to treat it properly.

andy

Edited by 67_gt6

Ian/ Andy

The radiator is OK.

"Long neck" ones were fitted to the early TR4s and the ones, referred to by Andy as "TR4As" were fitted to later TR4s like mine.

There are a few minor deviations from standard but appear to have been done with sympathy and to a high standard.

I agee with Andy and Stuart looks like a " good'un " from the pictures.

Bob

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Classics, and there are a lot of them over here (especially MGs), seem to go for a slight premium over the UK prices. The credit crunch is hitting Australia as well. The mortgage rate is 9% so think yourselves lucky.

He is asking A$22k which at todays rate is about £10.6 which would appear from your comments to be reasonable. He seems to know what he's doing.

Engine, gearbox and overdrive were completely rebuilt in 2004 (this included a full restoration of the engine bay and ancillary equipment - only covered 4,000 miles since restoration.

Modifications include

- Labyrinth (modern) rear engine oil seal

- Largest pistons and sleeves - 88mm dia

- 12v alternator conversion - running on a narrow fan belt

- Knock-off oil filter (original will be included in sale)

- Aluminium Oil cooler

- Aluminium radiator shroud (custom made)

- New engine parts as required during the recon(e.g. rings, pistons, sleeves, bearings, cam shaft, carbi kit, fuel pump kit etc)

- Converted to Welch plugs

- Lightened flywheel

- Converted to unleaded

- Clutch master and slave cylinder resleeved in stainless

- Gearbox, O/D switches replaced and gearbox and O/D fully reconditioned

- bearings, bushes etc (O/D changes strongly)

- Cardboard gearbox cover replaced with fibreglass after market version and sound proofed

- Suspension converted to neoprene bushes with adjustable front gas shocks

- Body spacers converted to aluminium and rubber

- Guards removed during engine bay detail and body and under-guards repainted (no rust found)

- Aluminium spare tyre cover - professionally made

- Aluminium divider between boot and rear deck

- Aluminium hard top - professionally made (rear window and surround is original aluminium and glass and the surrey will be included in the

sale)

regards

Ian

Judging by the photos and spec, I'd grab while it's available. It should give you 4 years enjoyable motoring without major work and at the end you can expect to get most/all/more back if you sell in Oz, or bring it back with you. Good TR4s are rarely available in the UK - I'm sure they are almost as scarce as TR5s now, although still considerably cheaper. Even so, I haven't seen many as good as this appears for sale here for the last 4 or 5 years (since we started looking for a car for Lynda - finally gave up and bought the TR4A, but I still watch with interest).

Offer him £10k and you wouldnt have too bad a deal. As Brian says good 4s are getting very hard to find.

Stuart.

Sounds very good, for that sort of money I would grab it too. If it wasn't red ;) . I think you could easily turn a good profit on it in 4 years if you decided to bring it back as it is unlikely to develop any rust, and the climate is such that you should be able to give it the regular use it needs to stay in top notch condition. I agree with Brian re the seeming scarcity of good TR4s in the UK.

andy

Edited by 67_gt6
If it wasn't red ;) ...

... I agree with Brian re the seeming scarcity of good TR4s in the UK.

I would even manage to overcome my dislike of red cars for one as good as this.

There are plenty of good TR4s in the UK, but not for sale. :( I think all the reasonably priced cars have been acquired for conversion into Powder Blue works replicas ;) . Whilst I love these, they are becoming almost as common as red. :P

[Only joking - who really cares about the colour as long as the cars are well maintained and used?]

Must say I agree with the above postings - it's very good value for money at the asking price.

From the occasional Aussie TR prices that I have checked, my impression is that cars (and

spares) are slightly higher priced than the UK equivalent.

The engine mods are sensible and should give very good power increase - not to say, though,

that you won't find a few more tuning mods to improve it even more, and have fun doing it.

Having been a TR3 man myself and bought a TR4 'for the summer' some 30 years ago, kept it,

restored it etc. you may well find yourself 'converted'. Only problem you may have is getting

used to the hardtop - driving a TR4 is a bit different to a 3, but TR4s are a bit more drivable

(IMO) but getting used to hardtop motoring is another story.

GO FOR IT.

AlanR

Its up in Brisbane and I am in Sydney.

Wife was up there on business today so asked her to take a look and lots of pictures but from what people are saying here it looks like a reasonable buy.

I guess I will have to fly up and drive back. Will take a few hours because its 900 kilometers. Still it will be quicker than the train which takes 16 hours and you complain about BR! I need to keep fingers crossed on weather as its winter here now.

Thanks for everyones comments

Hi Ian,

Just noticed the thread and that it's a Qld rego car, and as you say later, located in Brissy where there's a strong TR community.

That price is good with a Surrey, as they are bringing much more in Melb. A trade buyer here would probably pay the asking price and put $28-30k on it. An average powder blue one with a Surrey and steel wheels is for sale at $28.5k at the moment, and a mate got $34k for his restored example, even with a non-original metallic colour. Ask him to knock a grand off and you've got your airfare up and fuel back .

I've got a few TR friends in Brisbane, and depending on the suburb, may be able to get it checked out if you haven't already taken it.

Best regards,

Viv.

Hi Ian

Tend to agree with Viv

There have been a couple for sale in the west for high teens to low twenties and they were OK but nothing special

This seems to be a good car so if youy can get it for sat $21-22 it would appear to be a good buy

Best of luck

Cheers

Andy

I have agreed a price and should pick her up next week. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Interestingly the TR Register in New South Wales doesn't really seem to be interested in TR4 to TR8 owners they only cater for TR2 - TR3s! A number of members who own newer TRs as well as a 2 or 3 will answer questions on the forum though. Seems a bit ageist to me.

They advised me that I should join the Triumph Sports Owners Association of New South Wales.

Now all I have to do is work out how the Aussy 'rego' (as they say) system works and find some insurance.

Ians,

when I bought my 4A in Melbourne the PO kindly let me use his rego to get home to Canberra, he signed the back of his rego papers, gave me a formal looking receipt for proof of purchase; I handed the plates in here. NRMA were able to give me a temporary insurance cover for the trip.

However worth investigating the rego and insurance with the appropriate authorities before setting out on the trip.

Edited by littlejim
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to complete this part of the story I bought it and drove it down from Brisbane to Sydney over the weekend. 930k about 11 hours driving. The trip was not uneventful with highs doing 140kph through the highlands on the New England Highway and lows top radiator hose going bang on the Pacific Highway just 50k from home. Fortunately I was prepared and had both spare hose and water! Need to investigate why now but I think the head gasket is on its way out. At least I hope that it is nothing more serious.

I am sure I will be posting many questions on the forum over the coming months. I have changed my avatar from the Roadster to the new car or TRacy (I know its not original) as she is now known. NSW rego to be sorted out in the next two weeks.

Ian

... top radiator hose going bang on the Pacific Highway just 50k from home. Fortunately I was prepared and had both spare hose and water! Need to investigate why now but I think the head gasket is on its way out. At least I hope that it is nothing more serious.

Sounds like a very good start to have completed such a long first run with just a minor incident. This could well prove to be simply a hose problem - the modern rubber hoses are nowhere near as long-lasting as the originals due to the different composition, and can disintegrate without warning. It's best to replace all existing hoses with Kevlar or silicon (including the often overlooked heater hoses inside the car - which reminds me I bought a pair of these for Lynda's TR4A but still haven't got around to fitting them :blink:).