Classic won't start problem?

Hi all,

My 6 is slowly waking-up from it's 12 year sleep...

I have not come to the PI system yet but I am trying to get some signs of life by using starter gas.

Starter motor works fine and manages to turn the engine around fine

I have:

a new battery

new ignition details (rotor, distributor cap, condenser, points)

checked that there is spark

checked for 12 Volts delivered to the coil

checked that the distributor is correctly connected to the plugs and in the right sequence

No sign of life...

Any suggestions?

best regards

Jens

Hi all,

I have not come to the PI system yet but I am trying to get some signs of life by using starter gas.

I have:

a new battery

checked that the distributor is correctly connected to the plugs and in the right sequence

No sign of life...

Any suggestions?

best regards

Jens

Jens, could you provide more details about this part:

have not come to the PI system yet but I am trying to get some signs of life by using starter gas.

Is the PI system connected but in an unknown state/condition and you are just trying to assist it ?

Stan

Hi all,

No sign of life...

Any suggestions?

best regards

Jens

Hi Jens,

If the car stood idle for so long i would remove the spark plugs and check if there is any compression at all.

Valve seats and valves may be rusted.

And you can check right away if there is any fuel delivered to the cylinders.

Willem

Hi Jen. a quick check of the PI system would be to disable the coil by taking off the 12v supply, lift out an injector and turn over the engine. If there is no spray of fuel you know you have a Fuel problem. It may be just need bleeding. Just flick the end of the injector whilst turning the engine over and fuel may start to come through. If not you will probably need to overall the PI system. Rich

Jen,

You do not mention if you have fuel supply. Check the pump is operating, if not check the circuit starting with the fuel cut off switch on the bulkhead it could have operated.

If thats ok check timing, because if you have fuel and a spark and the former is correct it should go

Rob

Jens, could you provide more details about this part:

have not come to the PI system yet but I am trying to get some signs of life by using starter gas.

Is the PI system connected but in an unknown state/condition and you are just trying to assist it ?

Stan

Stan,

My plan was to check step by step. I thougt that using starter gas would provide me with the answer if the ignition system was working or not. PI and fuel system was the next step.

Jens

My plan was to check step by step. I thougt that using starter gas would provide me with the answer if the ignition system was working or not. PI and fuel system was the next step.

I see where you're coming from, but I think starter gas only provides an enrichment, it won't substitute entirely for an absence of fuel.

Ivor

Hi all,

I have:

a new battery

No sign of life...

Any suggestions?

best regards

Jens

Hi Jens,

Judging be some of the responses, I think you have thrown a few people by doing something unusual. As I understand it, you are not trying to test the fuel system at all but the ignition system.

Certainly, if you have all the ignition side fitted, static timed correctly etc. then spraying "easy start" into the plenum (particularly with all the butterflys open) and turning it over should result in the engine firing and running for a few seconds. I have used this technique many times to coax a reluctant / rebuilt Rover V8 into life.

Why it is not working for you, I can't think of a good reason other than re-checking everything, particularly points gap and that you have a spark at every spark plug.

Whilst this is a good progress check, once you have got the motor to fire, I wouldn't keep doing it as it may not do the PI components any good to be run without fuel running through them.

Good Luck

spraying "easy start" into the plenum (particularly with all the butterflys open) and turning it over should result in the engine firing and running for a few seconds. I have used this technique many times to coax a reluctant / rebuilt Rover V8 into life.

Thankyou, that's useful to know.

...spraying "easy start" into the plenum (particularly with all the butterflys open) and turning it over should result in the engine firing and running for a few seconds. I have used this technique many times to coax a reluctant / rebuilt Rover V8 into life.

I have also used Easy Start in desperation, or to start an engine which has been long dormant (or even has stale fuel in the tank and pipes). However, I've read somewhere that, if used regularly to start a sick engine to avoid solving the underlying problem (I plead guilty to having done this in my youth :(), the engine becomes addicted to it and will never be happy with straight petrol. I don't know how true it is, but I guess it could be similar to the memory effect of leaded petrol on valves, which presumably has a chemical effect on some engine components.

Did you use any form of inhibitor in the engine, the metering unit/fuel/pump/PRV? the m/u & pump are particularly prone to seizure if not inhibited during storage which will basically turn them into skip fodder; the drives cann also shear which, again, wont do the units much good.

At least the motor turns over, have you done a compression test? If it's been asleep for that long there are bound to be a few problems, my motor locked up solid & no amount of teasing would make it budge. I had to dismantle it & knock the pistons out with a hammer & a lump of wood; it needed a rebore & total rebuild but at least I had previously removed & inhibited the major PI components. If you have sparks, I'm surprised you don’t at least get a few pops & bangs with the Easy Start!

I have also used Easy Start in desperation, or to start an engine which has been long dormant (or even has stale fuel in the tank and pipes). However, I've read somewhere that, if used regularly to start a sick engine to avoid solving the underlying problem (I plead guilty to having done this in my youth :(), the engine becomes addicted to it and will never be happy with straight petrol. I don't know how true it is, but I guess it could be similar to the memory effect of leaded petrol on valves, which presumably has a chemical effect on some engine components.

Whe I was a destitute apprentice, I once ran a Ford Anglia on 3 cylinders (it transpired I'd blown a hole in the 4th one!) for about a month by using Easy Start to get it running; it didn't go very fast & I got through several tins of the stuff! :rolleyes: Not sure about the motor becoming an adict but it certainly made my head spin a bit a 6 AM every morning :blink::lol:

Edited by Richard Crawley

Easy start was always a favorite aid for starting diesel engines in the days before glow plugs and they definitely used to get addicted to it. Dont use it for very long as it will eventually burn out valves and melt piston crowns.It is also dangerous in a confined space and I have seen it blow an air cleaner to bits with a spit back!

Stuart.

Easy start was always a favorite aid for starting diesel engines in the days before glow plugs and they definitely used to get addicted to it. Dont use it for very long as it will eventually burn out valves and melt piston crowns.It is also dangerous in a confined space and I have seen it blow an air cleaner to bits with a spit back!

Stuart.

Again Stuart sound advise can you imagine the kind of compression involved useing this stuff on a petrol engine the mind boggals

Regard's

Ntc

Edited by ntc

Hi Neil,

about half the compression in a petrol engine of that of a diesel engine . . . 'easy start' into a compression ignition engine is quite a resultant thump !

Mind you, spraying the stuff up an exhaust pipe can be fairly spectacular, especially if it's just seconds before the engine is started. Bargain basement terrorism.

Cheers,

Alec

about half the compression in a petrol engine of that of a diesel engine . . . 'easy start' into a compression ignition engine is quite a resultant thump !

Mind you, spraying the stuff up an exhaust pipe can be fairly spectacular, especially if it's just seconds before the engine is started. Bargain basement terrorism.

Hi Alec,

Easy Start is basically an aerosol with ether in it - don't sniff too much of it! Modern aerosols have butane as a propellant instead of the CFC products of old, and they still cause a good bang if built into a bonfire!

I blew a tail box up on one of my old wrecks - we, as idiot kids (no it's not a new thing!) found we could cause quite spectacular back-fires, by turning the ignition off when well under way letting the momentum carry on propelling the car and mechanical fuel pumps, then turn the ignition back on, I think 5 seconds or so may have been a bit too much..........................

I blew a tail box up on one of my old wrecks - we, as idiot kids (no it's not a new thing!) found we could cause quite spectacular back-fires, by turning the ignition off when well under way letting the momentum carry on propelling the car and mechanical fuel pumps, then turn the ignition back on, I think 5 seconds or so may have been a bit too much..........................

A friend of mine with a Reliant Robin of all things use to take great delight in the same trick whenever we drove through our local Town Centre; he also spectacularly blew the tail box off eventually!

Hi Jon,

Yes, I'm perfectly well aware of what's in 'easy start' type jollops :rolleyes: !

I wasn't referring to having a bit of fun. I was harking back to a former life. Error of judgement, sorry about that.

End of discussion, not an appropriate topic for the Forum.

Cheers,

Alec