I have now got my tub back from the blasters after having it media blasted and am looking at the option of putting it on a rotisserie to make it easier to work on The tubs needs a bit of cosmetic work and it would be a lot easier elevated. Has anyone seen, have photos of, or a description of a suitable rotissiere. attaching the tub to something also looks as if it will be an issue Any thoughts on suitable attachments points would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by kiwi-jim

Hi Jim,

I have in store (in pieces!) a purpose-made spit-roaster for a TR7 - and I think I have some photos archived of the thing in use. I bought it for a purpose (yet another bl**dy Wedge) but haven't yet got round to employing the device. It's a pretty unsophisticated piece of kit, bent scaffold poles and steel plate, but cheap. If I can't find the piccies I'll drag it out and take some photos - but that means moving a whole bunch of engines and gearboxes !

Long ago my old buddy Dave Wilson used to renovate tubs by virtue of sorting the floor out first, with the car laid out temporarily on the (restored) chassis, to give it some stability and accuracy - then bolting the tub onto a couple of lengthways scaffold planks. That way we could turn it on its side, or upside down, onto trestles - and work on the rest of it it. Took a bit of effort and grunting, two blokes turning over a sidescreen tub is hard graft, but it worked and cost peanuts.

Cheers,

Alec

Here's another one. It's a lot of money if you only plan to do one car.

http://www.autotwirler.com/

All we did was repair the front clip, then the back clip. Both were separate. Then we mounted these on the frame as the jig, laid in the floor pans, the inner and outer sills. Then we welded it all together. Two or three people can flip a TR3A tub over with no trouble.

Thanks guys the photos are a great help i won't look to buy something it would cost the earth, but I can see definate possibilites in combining the ideas from you photos Ian and alecs idea of planks. The tubs arn't very heavy and can be easily manhandled with a bit of help. The attachment points were a bit of a concern but I can see from your photos Ian how it all works Thanks

I used the 'poor man' approach with the 4A.

The wooden supports were attached via steel rightangles from the hardware store, dynabolted to the cement floor.

No mobility, so had to be dropped on to the dolly at turnaround time and remounted. Cost was minimal though.

This pic shows my TR4 on the rotisserie. It is attached at the front and the rear mounting chassis mounting points. It also has come cross bracing in the engine compartment which may or may not be necessary. I have some other close-up pics on the attachment points which I can PM if you would like.

Myles

Edited by woodward

Myles

If you could send me some more pictures that would be great also if you have any of the rotisserie mechanism itself they would be excellent as well. Thanks everyone

I suspect that Jim will build a rotisserie but for those looking for a cheap fix and following suggestions from this forum when I asked the same question, I ended up constructing two frames from lengths of 4 x 2 that I happened to have in my 'come in handy store'.

These frames go around the bodyshell either side of the door opening. They are reinforced with right angled triangular plywood gussets at the corners (internal at the top and external at the bottom because I allowed the bottom bearers to extend on either side of the body). They are attached to the body shell through various appropriate holes with long bolts and large flat washers, and are mounted on four large industrial castors which I can remove and reposition as I turn the bodyshell over.

I find that I can 'roll' the body shell over in the garage on my own without too much difficulty. I remove them as necessary for access.

As a final obvious thought, make sure that the body shell is horizontal and well supported all round before doing any welding - particularly things like sills. or new floor pans.

Rgds Ian

I have seen, when researching, a picture of a mobile rotisserie made from wood Like Ian made. Might have been Ian's. Site lost to antiquity now.

It certainly isn't compulsory to make it out of steel.

By the way, in my keeness to get cracking on the chassis welding I had a few sysnapses in the measuring part of the brain(?) short circuit. When the time came to put the tub up I had to weld an extra foot of pipe on.

Don't recommend this as a standard approach.

Edited by littlejim

Excellent thanks Myles the photos are great Cheers