Electric fuel pump.

I have been looking at fitting an electric Facet pump as I think some improvement is needed in that area <_< .

I also read a previous thread and am curious to know which are best, square in boot or cylindrical under the bonnet, which are the noisier of the two and any other advice greatly appreciated. I will of course be fitting a prang cut off switch but want to avoid a pressure regulator.

Thank you in advance......

I haven't been impressed with Facet pumps. I've had two that lasted about 14 months (ie: just after the guarantee period :angry: ). I've used a Carter for the last 4 or 5 years with no problems. I think I got it from Real Steel.

Jerry

I have to agree Im not keen on the Facet ones either I have just had to change one as well that hadnt lasted very long either. (funnily enough about fifteen months use!) I always find the old type SU ones as fitted to Jaguar saloons (available now with electronic points so no ticking) to be very good.

Stuart.

I have been using a 'cheaper' Facet under the bonnet, where I understand it shouldn't be. It has been totally reliable for seven years now.

Now I have said that, it will probably let me down, but I do carry a spare just in case.

Graeme

Hello Justin,,

just what is wrong with the correct S.U. pump for your car?

Alec

Alec,

SU? You mean the AcDelco mechanical pump with leaking valves? I'm getting tired of slow starting due to fuel draining back.

Hi Justin,

Just to chime in with a couple of things -

To avoid a pressure regulator, select a pump with an output no greater than 3 psi (For SU's 1.75 to 2.75 psi is specified)

Suggest mounting the pump down low for a gravity feed, as they are not good suckers..

If possible, fit an in line fuel filter before the pump to keep it clean.

Finally, what's she singing along to ?.

Cheers,

Viv.

Alec,

SU? You mean the AcDelco mechanical pump with leaking valves? I'm getting tired of slow starting due to fuel draining back.

Rather than being an annoyance, I regard this as an effective way of ensuring the engine turns over a few times to move the oil around before ignition. Consequently, I leave the choke in for a short time (about 10 seconds is usually enough) whilst turning the engine over and topping-up the carbs, then pull the choke out and away it goes - fully lubricated in all the right places :rolleyes: .

P.S. None of my fuel pumps ever had leaking valves, but if they did, replacement valves are cheap enough and simple to fit.

Edited by BrianC

Hello Justin,

you can see that TR4's are not my speciality? I assumed you just wanted a different type of electric pump.

However, very often modifying something to 'fix' a defective component can be a worse course than just doing an effective repair. However if you do want to go electric, S.U. pumps do suit S.U. carburettors.

Alec