Sitnav, satnav

Generally my wife, who enjoys map-reading, is our navigator - what you might call a sitnav.

But of late I have begun to warm to the merits of TomTom, especially on solo jaunts, and doubly so in town.

However in the TR, nowhere to plug in.

Now that there is a danger of the car becoming mobile, as opposed to a money-consuming lump, my mind is turning to embellishments, and I ask myself, where to put the cigarette-lighter socket for the satnav?

Has anyone found a good location please?

Generally my wife, who enjoys map-reading, is our navigator - what you might call a sitnav.

But of late I have begun to warm to the merits of TomTom, especially on solo jaunts, and doubly so in town.

Now that there is a danger of the car becoming mobile, as opposed to a money-consuming lump, my mind is turning to embellishments, and I ask myself, where to put the cigarette-lighter socket for the satnav?

Has anyone found a good location please?

I added a couple of power outlets into a cheap center console/armrest but if I didnt have the armrest I would probably opt for a bracket under the dash that located the outlet more or less out of sight but still in reach and hopefully not close to any bodyparts like knees.

Stan

If you do not mind cutting a hole in the centre 'H' frame a good place is to the lower left of the radio mounting aperture (for RHD cars) - that's where I have put mine... Check at the back though as the casting is of a different thickness around that area.

Power was taken directly from the fusebox and can either be on the switched side of permanent live depending on your preference. Just make sure that it is adequately fused (there is a spare fuse-way that can be used for this).

Regards

The H-frame actually has two holes already cast towards the top, either side of the radio slot. You can feel the location of these by pressing through the padded vinyl from the front, or back. They will need to be enlarged carefully with a rat-tail.

One of these makes a good location for a cigar lighter power socket for general use, like charging your mobile. I use the other hole for my uprated heater fan speed switch.

I have a second power socket located in the void behind the H-frame above the gearbox tunnel. This is permanently wired up to a Sat-Nav cable that passes behind the dash and up through the ashtray in the middle of the crash pad. It is adequately insulated, and fused, and held in place with a foam rubber space filler. There is no great power draw from a Sat-Nav, but the one I use has electronics in it's car side power plug to modify the car voltage, so has to be used. I drilled a small hole in the ashtray to pass the Sat Nav side connection plug through, knot the cable to prevent it slipping back.

This provides for a completely hidden connection to your Sat-Nav as it can be tucked back in to the ashtray when not in use. The rubber sucker Sat-Nav mount is stored in the glove box, and any glass mark is rubbed off. When not in use there is no way that you can tell if one is fitted.

I know that not all cars have ashtrays, and possibly not all H-frames have precast holes. But that is my solution and it works a treat.

i think the important thing to consider is tha cable. In that it wants to be hidden out of sight of any thieving gits.

So i put my power connection under passenger dash area and routed the cable up through a hole in the base of the ash tray. Easy to connect, no cable in front of dash and easy to hide when leaving vehicle.

Regards

Guy

Some ingenious solutions here, thankyou, Q had better look to his laurels. :mellow:

Another one to think about for you. I recently changed my radio cassette for a more modern CD/Radio with a face off bit I can take away when the car is parked. Conveniently, those nice Japanese radio manufacturers put a USB port on the front of the console presumably for the likes of an IPod or similar. However, you can use it to power up your Tom Tom with a suitably sized USB cable. Modern good quality sound plus a satnav connection all rolled into one. Seemed like a good deal to me.

Cheers

Ivor,

There have been some good suggestions, to which I would add that I was considering the rheostat hole (once I ditch it). On a slightly different tack however, my experience with Satnav and "hood down" motoring is that they don't mix, particularly on a sunny day, due to glare. I would be interested to see how others overcome this problem, if indeed there is one, maybe I just have a cr*p unit!

I was considering the rheostat hole (once I ditch it). On a slightly different tack however, my experience with Satnav and "hood down" motoring is that they don't mix, particularly on a sunny day, due to glare.

I have the rheostat hole earmarked for an oil temp gauge, but re glare I had the same problem in my Landy which I sought to cirumvent by moving the unit lower down. I suspect you're right, it will be an issue, and I also wonder how the disembodied voice will cope with the din.

At 60mph with the hood up, I couldn't even hear the exhaust for the noise of the wind whistling in between the front bar & the top of the screen, heyho another job to do it seems... or perhaps 'they all do that guv'.... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou Jersey Royal.

I made a hole in the bottom of the multi-purpose device formerly used as an ashtray and, by removing the springthing under the lid, was able to get a flying cigarette lighter socket in there. Lift up the lid, and there it is. :)

Erroneously bought a socket which is solid moulded and has an inline fuse quite near the socket, consequently there isn't enough free cable so the socket only just peeps out of the ashtray, and for that matter I now realise the cable exit in the lid would actually be better on the left, but all that can be rectified.

An easy install, from under the dash on the left, kidney panel removed, when the ashtray is out one can see a clear cable path from below.

A good arrangement for the time being and totally concealed.

Yes, Ragtaq, glare is a nuisance I haven't solved that, perhaps a lower summer location for the satnav and the power socket, but the voice that must be obeyed is surprisingly clear, more so in fact than in my Landy where it has to cope with rather more mechanical din.

Nowyoudont.jpg

Nowyouseeit.jpg

I put a 12 volt charger into the ashtray. When the lid is down it is totally hidden.

post-5598-1203606596_thumb.jpg

Good idea!!! If I adopt that method (already have one in the 'H-Frame' I shall have to be careful what I put into the ashtray - its used for coins, fuses etc! :rolleyes: (but absolutely no 'ash').

Regards

Don't know if it can be done on the 6 but I put it at the top of the glove pocket at the back. I fused it at 2 amps (so no ciggy lighter) but you can put your phone & charger in the glove box so it is out of sight charging, same with the camera. There is a big enough gap in the lid so the satnav lead comes out of the edge, perhaps the 6 lid fits better than the sidescreens :rolleyes: . Also you can loose the excess lead in the glovebox. Satnav bracket is home made. Dosn't look like it but there is 4" of clearance between the screen & wheel rim.

Nigel (with TS952)

Edited by Nigel Lay
Don't know if it can be done on the 6 but I put it at the top of the glove pocket at the back. I fused it at 2 amps (so no ciggy lighter) but you can put your phone & charger in the glove box so it is out of sight charging, same with the camera. There is a big enough gap in the lid so the satnav lead comes out of the edge, perhaps the 6 lid fits better than the sidescreens :rolleyes: . Also you can loose the excess lead in the glovebox. Satnav bracket is home made.

That's another good idea. Losing the excess lead is attractive. When/if I remove the glovebox I might do that.

Ivor

A few years ago I fitted an easily removable Sat Nav to my 6. I made a bracket that is held by the rheostat pin. While the rheostat has been discarded I left the body and knob in place. I took out the locking pin and spring and in that way I can easily put the knob back when the Sat Nav holder is not used. The Sat Nav is a Garmin Streetpilot designed for Motor bikes which is working with an external speeker. Speeker and screen are fully adjustable and cause very little problems with regard to sunlight and surrounding noise. An additional advantage is that the unit is water resistant and shock proof. You can remove it in 5 seconds and with the knob back in placed it leaves no trace of it's previous presence :)

Have used it for 2 seasons without any problem, except for the limited map coverage in the middle of nowhere, but this is valid for every make below 2k pounds :D

Edited by jean

Hi Jean,

Looking at your gear lever, it looks like you are anticipating a trip to Australia :D

What is the thing that looks like a combination pad lock in the middle of your console?

Right Chris, would like to go to Australia, just looking for a sponsor :D The gearknob has to be adjusted, 2 weeks ago I had the gearbox out for a clutch change and I just noticed the knob position only when I shoot the picture :(

If you mean the lock looking thing, it's a simple counter on which you can set the initial milage when you start a trip or refill the tank. So you don't have to write it down, it comes in handy when you have no pen and paper lying around :) It's one of the most inexpensive gadgets to backup your memory, years ago I have seen it in multi million pound airliners where pilots use it to visualize the height or flightlevel they received in their clearance :D

A few years ago I fitted an easily removable Sat Nav to my 6. I made a bracket that is held by the rheostat pin. While the rheostat has been discarded I left the body and knob in place. I took out the locking pin and spring and in that way I can easily put the knob back when the Sat Nav holder is not used. The Sat Nav is a Garmin Streetpilot designed for Motor bikes which is working with an external speeker. Speeker and screen are fully adjustable and cause very little problems with regard to sunlight and surrounding noise. An additional advantage is that the unit is water resistant and shock proof. You can remove it in 5 seconds and with the knob back in placed it leaves no trace of it's previous presence :)

Have used it for 2 seasons without any problem, except for the limited map coverage in the middle of nowhere, but this is valid for every make below 2k pounds :D

Jean: Nice bit of kit. But, what's that thingy on the plinth between the heat control and fan switch? What about the amber light?

Thanks Frank

Frank, it's that counter Chris mentioned as a dial lock, at least it's what I understood from his post ;) You can set a number to be displayed and remembered.

The amber light is the rear fog-light switch, rear fog-lights are compulsery in Belgium. As the engine runs on common rail EFI the choke cable could be discarded and I made use of the hole to position the switch.

Frank you did ask about the Lexan backlight for a Surrey, just saw it by chance, It came from a supplier in Europe, next week I will ask my friend from the racing team where he got it from :unsure: Sorry that I had overlooked your post :(