Radio for TR4

Hi,

Anyone know a place to buy a radio suitable for a TR4. I understand that you can buy the period look, but upgraded to receive FM and also with a jack for an MP3. Yes, Yes I know that you shouldn't listen to the radio in a TR, but it's for when I stop or am stuck in traffic.

Mal

Mal

There was a chap at last weekend's Classic Car Show who did exactly what you are seeking - I picked up his card and still looking for it!!! :(

If I locate it I shall post again...

Regards

Mal

There was a chap at last weekend's Classic Car Show who did exactly what you are seeking - I picked up his card and still looking for it!!! :(

If I locate it I shall post again...

Regards

That is exactly what I did - and I cannot find the guys card. Good show, but would benefit from the real ale guys who were there a few years ago. Nice few TR's there this year as well. I liked TS2 especially as my TR4 has jsut gone to TR Enterprises for a refresh and upgrade.

Hi Mal,

there is a chap in Bristol that does just what want. He advertises in most of the big mag's.

Roger

Thanks, I'll dig into my old mags. if you find the name appreciate a post, in case I cannot find. AH well, that's my evening booked. Just wish I kept more of the oldies, but am under review to tidy up the pile of old reading material.

Mal,

you could try www.vintagewireless.co.uk based in Sale. He refurbed my radio, did a good job, now all I need is one of his chassis aerials. He put in a jack for my mp3, but another option is a gadget (an i-trip) you plug into the mp3 and it transmits to a radio frequency you then tune into, use my i-trip all the time in my other cars just need to get that damed aerial for the TR!! The wire is a bit of a curse trailing around the floor.

Then dere is yer man Roger Beasley who was at the NEC, 0121 3111588 or rogerbeasley4@msn.com he does much the same, but had just sold his second and last chassis aerial only 5 minutes before I got there at lunchtime on Friday!! :angry:

Justin...

Mal,

you could try www.vintagewireless.co.uk based in Sale. He refurbed my radio, did a good job, now all I need is one of his chassis aerials. He put in a jack for my mp3, but another option is a gadget (an i-trip) you plug into the mp3 and it transmits to a radio frequency you then tune into, use my i-trip all the time in my other cars just need to get that damed aerial for the TR!! The wire is a bit of a curse trailing around the floor.

Then dere is yer man Roger Beasley who was at the NEC, 0121 3111588 or rogerbeasley4@msn.com he does much the same, but had just sold his second and last chassis aerial only 5 minutes before I got there at lunchtime on Friday!! :angry:

Justin...

That's great. ( Ian - Roger Beasley is the name!!! ). I'll tray both guys and see where I am at. Thanks to all for the help so far. Keep it coming as it is probably of interest to a few of us Tr'ers.

Great forum this very helpful.

Mal

Yep - Roger Beasley it was - Just found his 'card'!!! :rolleyes:

Regards

Mal,

Justin...

Just spoken with Roger ( the Sale guy was out ). very helpful and enthusiastic. His solution for a 1962 is to fit ( with some wiring changes ) a cable to link to an external MP3 player or Mp3 player and FM radio combined. Guess this would also work with a small DAB as they come out ( to show my age, the only thing called a DAB when I was young was a type of flat fish!!). He charges £50 to modify your own or can quote for a replacement, also modified. To get FM and stereo on the unit, you need to go for a slightly later cassette type model. He is quoting for that as well. Think he was a popular guy at the show, as I waited around for a while and he was always busy. Your comment on the iTrip is good as I use mine a lot as well.

The ideal with the separate tuner, is that you don't need an aerial, of course.

I'll ring the Sale guy later as well.

I am now TR'less until March, when the car is due back after some upgrades and a full repaint. I've done some bits myself but ran out of talent and time - also I want to enjoy and do some trips in it before I'm sent a bus pass. I've had it 18 years now, and would like another 18 with it............. but I'll be 74 then.

Hi,

Anyone know a place to buy a radio suitable for a TR4. I understand that you can buy the period look, but upgraded to receive FM and also with a jack for an MP3. Yes, Yes I know that you shouldn't listen to the radio in a TR, but it's for when I stop or am stuck in traffic.

Mal

Hiya Mal,

You need Vintage wireless company,,i`ve had half a dozen off of him over the last few years, he`s excellent.

Regards

Billy.

Hiya Mal,

You need Vintage wireless company,,i`ve had half a dozen off of him over the last few years, he`s excellent.

Regards

Billy.

He is sending me details in the post now. Sounds great as he will do a period radio which has been modified to receive FM ( even though it looks like LW/MW). Will also fit the MP3 lead. Estimates to supply a replacement and modified radio is c£400 plus the MP3 lead. I'll post more info when I have it. Sounds like the ideal solution. He reckons better with a wing aerial for the FM

Mal

Hi,

This is my first post so excuse me if I mess it up! :rolleyes:

I bought my TR4 in May this year so am fairly new to all this but have found a first-rate source of period radios.

In Germany FM seemed to gain popularity earlier than in the UK so if you don't mind having a Blaupunkt or Becker unit you can get an unmodified 60's original with FM/LW/MW. Additionally if you get a high spec model they had an input for a tape player, which can now be used for an MP3!

I bought mine from the outfit below, it came fully overhauled with a 2 year guarantee, cables to conect my MP3 and looks brilliant. Best of all it only cost 230 Euros, inc postage from Germany!!!

The website is available in English but some of the emails I recieved updating progress with my order were in German, not difficault to translate using the internet however.

Hope this is of interest....

Sean

http://koenigs-classic.de

Hi,

I bought my TR4 in May this year so am fairly new to all this but have found a first-rate source of period radios.

In Germany FM seemed to gain popularity earlier than in the UK so if you don't mind having a Blaupunkt or Becker unit you can get an unmodified 60's original with FM/LW/MW. Additionally if you get a high spec model they had an input for a tape player, which can now be used for an MP3!

I bought mine from the outfit below, it came fully overhauled with a 2 year guarantee, cables to conect my MP3 and looks brilliant. Best of all it only cost 230 Euros, inc postage from Germany!!!

The website is available in English but some of the emails I recieved updating progress with my order were in German, not difficault to translate using the internet however.

Sean

No problems there Sean! thanks for the info....... You will definately need this next though http://www.vtr.org/maintain/GreatAudioTR4.pdf

I recently obtained an UNUSED Motorola 8 track player and FM radio from Ohio for $30 (ebay of course). I did have to replace the drive belt though, as it had perished to a black sticky mess.

regards

john

Thanks John,

Useful for the future, but I am one of the few who uses the rear seat. I have 6 and 8 year old daughters who just love comming out for a drive! I am having to make do with footwell speekers but am avoiding cutting into the car so I can change in the future. Sound quality will not be as good but the girls enjoy the car too much.....

Sean

:rolleyes: OK I've got an original, in its box radio. Funny how these things turn up. Original Motorola Model 144 complete with instructions. I was about to put it on ebay - so make me an offer. For the Radio - not me !!!!!!!! Well. . . . .

Hi,

Sean

Followed this up and got the following quotes from him :

Blaupunkt Frankfurt Mono with AM, FM 195,00 EUR

Blaupunkt Frankfurt Stereo with AM, FM 350,00 EUR

Becker Europa Mono with AM, FM 270,00 EUR

suitable adapter cable for MP3, iPod 22,00 EUR

looks good and all warranted for 2 years.

Agree that vintage wireless seem good also, but I'm still waiting for his quote and info.......

Anyone with a few moments to spare it's an interesting site (see web address in Seans post).

:rolleyes: OK I've got an original, in its box radio. Funny how these things turn up. Original Motorola Model 144 complete with instructions. I was about to put it on ebay - so make me an offer. For the Radio - not me !!!!!!!! Well. . . . .

Nice offer(s).

Think I'll skip on the orig as I wouldn't want to spoil one with some mods for the MP3, also I am going to negative earth and an alternator. Should get some good offers on e bay. Alternatively you could try vintage Wireless in Sale and see what they would offer. I would think that an original in the box must be of interest out there.

V8? Guess that's not in a TR4 then....

Does anybody have Roger Beasley's contact details please? I have a Motorola radio that isn't working too well and need a repair. I will contact vintagewireless too.

Thanks

It's 0121 311 1588

Could try vintage wireless as well

Mal

Finally fitted mine this weekend. Very pleased with the look and the MP3 works a treat. I've mounted the connector in the glovebox so you don't even know its there. Definately recommended.

Sean

Looks good.

Think I will go in this direction as well - cost versus local suppliers.

Which model did you get? AM/FM or just AM?

Mal