Le Mans Classic 2008 - Booking form & FAQ

What do they mean by good condition? Would scruffy but running pass muster or are they only looking for concours cars?

In other news, I now only have one headlight left and a slightly crumpled driver's side front wing. Probably need to get this sorted before July...

Hi,

Can anyone help me with some ideas on booking the crossing and costs.

I have been weighing up the options between the TSSC option and the Continental Tours price.

I was looking at using the Hehaven to Dieppe crossing on the ferry. We will be travelling down from the North west and open to alternatives but keeping in mind of price and keeping on the west side of the coast.

Thank in advance

Jim :huh:

I was keeping quiet about SpeedFerries, but now we have our CLM bookings in, I'll support Eli.

Cheap and cheerful indeed but not in the sense of inferior.

Very good value, IMHO, unless you find that a very noisy ferry is a problem.

And they do not accept rigs longer than 7m, so no caravans or car transporter trailers.

See: http://www.speedferries.com/

Jim, the TSSC plan does not include ferries, it's DiY!

Haven't bothered to look at others as the Tertres Rouge camp site was so good last time.

I'm from the North West too, and don't see how a Newhaven departure is an advantage. No motiorway link and an almost mandatory sit on the M25 for hours. The A34 link Oxford-Winchester between the M40 and the M3 makes the trip to Portsmouth easy, as long as you are travelling out of rush hours - but that's true anywhere on this traffic choked island. Oh, for open French roads!

John

The overnight crossing from Portsmouth with LD lines, including aircraft style "sleeper seats" works out at about £150 for a car and two passengers. The supplement alone for travelling from Portsmouth with Continental car tours is £200. About 60Km more from Le Havre to Le Mans than it is form Caen, but that's only another hour of quiet French roads in a TR, so no problem there!

No, not yet, I'll be sending that out once the office have taken payments and forwarded the forms to me.

Philip

Thanks Philip

Any idea of approx numbers to date, from TRR and TSSC ?

Me just being nosey, you understand.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

A campsite full I would imagine Guy. Personally, I'm not bothered how many as long as there's room for me to pitch my tent (smaller tent now, as Howard, NLG leader will be pleased to hear!).

Keep up the great work Philip.

Wyn

Thanks Philip

Any idea of approx numbers to date, from TRR and TSSC ?

Me just being nosey, you understand.

Cheers

Guy

Guy

Well 6 cars from the East Saxons will be travelling down on the Thursday via Speedferries.

John and Allan who you tied up with in Brittany this year will be coming along as well.

We are booked into Le Mans with Team Triumph, although we will be staying off site, but probably spending a fair amount of time at Tetre Rouge.

In 2006 I believe there was some 300 or so cars from the Register and TSSC combined!

Cheers

Unc :blink:

A campsite full I would imagine Guy. Personally, I'm not bothered how many as long as there's room for me to pitch my tent (smaller tent now, as Howard, NLG leader will be pleased to hear!).

Keep up the great work Philip.

Wyn

We were approaching 100 cars middle of last week, so filling up very quickly.

Cheers

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
Guy

Well 6 cars from the East Saxons will be travelling down on the Thursday via Speedferries.

John and Allan who you tied up with in Brittany this year will be coming along as well.

We are booked into Le Mans with Team Triumph, although we will be staying off site, but probably spending a fair amount of time at Tetre Rouge.

In 2006 I believe there was some 300 or so cars from the Register and TSSC combined!

Cheers

Unc :blink:

Peter,

Look out for a BRG TR6 if you're on the 10.45am sailing!

Eli

Last year there were all kinds of cars, super cars but also family saloons with 4 people on board. Early on it was OK but after one lap it resembled the M25. I haven't booked for a lap next year, seems a waste of money (especially now that I have had the experience) and I think next year will be worse than last year but I may be wrong. The way I see it, if your door comes off then it's your tough luck.

Wyn

Last year there were all kinds of cars, super cars but also family saloons with 4 people on board. Early on it was OK but after one lap it resembled the M25. I haven't booked for a lap next year, seems a waste of money (especially now that I have had the experience) and I think next year will be worse than last year but I may be wrong. The way I see it, if your door comes off then it's your tough luck.

Wyn

Thanks Wyn,

My concern is that the 6 probably isn't up for 2 laps flat out. Although it would be interesting to see what gives up first: brakes, engine, gearbox, door...

I'm doing it for the experience too, here's hoping they manage to keep everything flowing at a decent pace for everyone.

Eli

Thanks Wyn,

My concern is that the 6 probably isn't up for 2 laps flat out. Although it would be interesting to see what gives up first: brakes, engine, gearbox, door...

I'm doing it for the experience too, here's hoping they manage to keep everything flowing at a decent pace for everyone.

Eli

Hi Eli,

I have no idea what its like apart from seeing a couple of videos, might be on You Tube i cant recall. You just go at the speeds that you are happy with.

Living on the rock its rarely that my motor gets over 50-60, (40 mph speed limit) :angry:

Usually takes me a day or so to aquaint myself with the car on speeds above 70. So i will be the Sunday driver on the track and behind you :blink:

Regards

Guy

Hi Eli,

I have no idea what its like apart from seeing a couple of videos, might be on You Tube i cant recall. You just go at the speeds that you are happy with.

Living on the rock its rarely that my motor gets over 50-60, (40 mph speed limit) :angry:

Usually takes me a day or so to aquaint myself with the car on speeds above 70. So i will be the Sunday driver on the track and behind you :blink:

Regards

Guy

Guy,

Cheers for this. I had a look on youtube and found this:

. Looks like a lot of fun. It's not everyday you get you drive alongside D Types, DB6s and 20s Bentleys!

Eli

I have forwarded your question to the organisers in Paris, will post back here when I get an answer.

PW

Hi, I received this answer today:

1°) when you are a club, young child (under 16 years old) just have to pay 22 pounds to gain access to the Paddocks. It is very important for them to have their ID.

2°) for the Grandstands, young child do not have reductions. They will have to pay 3 pounds if they come with a club.

3°) there is no age limit for child passengers on the track laps

Philip

On the track laps, you would of course be on the track in the exclusive company of Triumphs, as you would have had to book through a Triumph club, and as there are so many of us, we get 1 to ourselves.

There are a few techniques to ensure maximum enjoyment from the laps.

Cheers

Colin

On the track laps, you would of course be on the track in the exclusive company of Triumphs, as you would have had to book through a Triumph club, and as there are so many of us, we get 1 to ourselves.

Cheers

Colin

Cool. What techniques are you referring to Colin?

Cheers

Colin

Really? Exclusively Triumph track laps?

There were at least 200 cars on the session we had last time, lots of Triumphs but far from exclusive.

Nice work, if you can swing it!

And Eli. You may have to look elsewhere than just YouTube - there are several from CLM 2006 on Google Video, including the excellent:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=1

As you will see from that video (at 2:30secs) the rather pedestrian first lap was because someone dumped their car into the very first gravel trap they came to. The pace car was instructed to go easy to allow time for them to be extracted. It WAS better the second time around.

Someone? The Numpty Dumpties?

Although the organisers discreetly hid it behind a modern marshal's car, IT WAS A TR6!

John

Cool. What techniques are you referring to Colin?

Well the technique is to pretend you have a mis-fire (not that out of the ordinary in a Triumph!) and as a result you end up dropping back from the pack a bit. At the start of the Mulsanne, the mis-fire goes away and as you have got a bit behind, you have to play catch up..............

:rolleyes:

As someone said, a TR parked himself in teh kitty-litter so the firat lap was very slow, the pace car goes at about 100mph normally.

Colin

Well the technique is to pretend you have a mis-fire (not that out of the ordinary in a Triumph!) and as a result you end up dropping back from the pack a bit. At the start of the Mulsanne, the mis-fire goes away and as you have got a bit behind, you have to play catch up..............

:rolleyes:

As someone said, a TR parked himself in teh kitty-litter so the firat lap was very slow, the pace car goes at about 100mph normally.

Colin

Aha, I stand enlightened! Unfortunately, misfires aren't all that uncommon when it comes to my 6... See you at Le Mans!

Eli

whoooo how did I miss what was going on here!!!

is there still time to book with you guys????

got my form printed off just chasing "the other" for the cash.

can I send indevidual cheques to cover the full amount?

or do i have to loose more time in banking them all, clearing, and then writin one??

cheers