Le Mans Classic 2008 - Booking form & FAQ

Please find attached form for booking tickets for Le Mans Classic next July.

I have included a Frequently Asked Questions document to assist in completing the form.

Thanks,

Philip

Thanks Philip.

I have just filled the form in and written out cheque.

I have checked with the office and if paying by Cheque it should be made payable to .. TR Register.

Regards

Guy

Alec,

You're absolutely right. As the last time was my first I struggled with Jacket etc. in the "6", only to find that not only was I actually one of the few that did, it didn't seem to make much difference to entry into the paddocks! The only people I saw turned away were wearing T shirts and scruffy shorts, and that was only from the Bentley enclosure, so it's no more than slacks and Polo shirts for me this time.

Philip

The booking form does not include the cost of a Grandstand Ticket or Paddock Pass -what's the cost of these please?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Paddock pass and grandstand seat are included in the ticket price. The extra cost of the grandstand seat was so minimal it seemed silly not to include it.

However, the grandstand seats are offered on an 'availability' basis, one of the reasons why we are encouraging people to book early.

Philip

Edited by pimw
Hi Andrew,

Paddock pass and grandstand seat are included in the ticket price. The extra cost of the grandstand seat was so minimal it seemed silly not to include it.

However, the grandstand seats are offered on an 'availability' basis, one of the reasons why we are encouraging people to book early.

If they run out of grandstand seats we intend to offer a credit/refund. (I should add that to the FAQ).

Philip

Philip,

Will it be possible to order an additional Grandstand seat for those of us that intend taking a child under the age of 16. My 12 year old son has expressed interest in going to Le Mans.

Thanks Chris

Philip,

Will it be possible to order an additional Grandstand seat for those of us that intend taking a child under the age of 16. My 12 year old son has expressed interest in going to Le Mans.

Thanks Chris

I have forwarded your question to the organisers in Paris, will post back here when I get an answer.

PW

Classic item in the FAQs . . . a dress code

I thought this was supposed to be a motor race meeting, but seeing some of the gentleman tourers pootling round in 2006 it seemed like only a modest proportion of the grids was actually racing.

Presumably the answer is that it's actually now officially a fashion parade, Goodwood with grenouilles et escargots ?

As for 'jackets and ties' in July, camping with a TR, what planet are these guys on ?

Cheers,

Alec

I think there should be a prize for anyone that does wear a Jacket and tie!! Even better if it is period French (trousers that stop 6 inches above the ankles etc)

The idea I assume is to differentiate the event from the normal LeMans event, they want to keep well away from the shirtless 'oiks' that now populate that event, or more to the point, keep them well away from the paddocks.

As someone else suggested, a poloshirt and slacks is an ideal solution.

And in what is no more than a blantant sales pitch....you could invest in one of the commemorative items that will be offered nearer the time from the club! That I am sure will satisfy the style gendarmes.

I have worn smart shorts and a poloshirt and had no access issues at all.

Cheers

Colin

Am about to book. When is the best day to arrive/leave: 11-13th or 10-14th? Thanks.

I would arrive earliest Thursday, latest Friday - there is a bit of build up on the Thursday.

Monday morning is earily quiet so I would recommend leaving Sunday after the racing finishes.

Philip

I would arrive earliest Thursday, latest Friday - there is a bit of build up on the Thursday. Monday morning is earily quiet so I would recommend leaving Sunday after the racing finishes.

I'd second that!

We left on the Monday morning last year and even before the first sparrow had farted there were Pikies all over the place (the Frogs just opened the gates at first light, then buggered off!) rummaging through the skips etc, and eyeing you up to see what you were 'going' to leave - they were never intimidating (well, not to us) but some might be by their very presence?

Cheers

Andrew

I think there should be a prize for anyone that does wear a Jacket and tie!! Even better if it is period French (trousers that stop 6 inches above the ankles etc)

The idea I assume is to differentiate the event from the normal LeMans event, they want to keep well away from the shirtless 'oiks' that now populate that event, or more to the point, keep them well away from the paddocks.

As someone else suggested, a poloshirt and slacks is an ideal solution.

And in what is no more than a blantant sales pitch....you could invest in one of the commemorative items that will be offered nearer the time from the club! That I am sure will satisfy the style gendarmes.

I have worn smart shorts and a poloshirt and had no access issues at all.

Cheers

Colin

Last time, white overalls were requested as paddock garb.

I think we (the Spitfire Aces) were the only ones so attired. See below - Aces Vin and Jon assist Team Jigsaw.

This style is very cool if worn over shorts, in the way that a Bedouin's robes are cool from the circulation of air under them.

Even cooler if you don't do the buttons up.

But I was criticised by a paddock official for wearing sandals, not boots!

John

Edited by john.r.davies
Will the 'Team triumph' be booking spaces in the 'pre-66' car park ?

If not, do you consider it worthwhile to make an individual application. I'm not too sure where the parking will be and if it will be easy to come and go as one pleases.

Yes, we can arrange the Marque parking places for you.

In answer to the other question about arrive and depart times, if you intend to go on the razzle on Sunday, you really ought to think about travelling back monday. The Gendarmes delight in catching the brits. Also the ferries will be quieter and cheaper.

Cheers

Colin

Edited by thescrapman
This style is very cool if worn over shorts, in the way that a Bedouin's robes are cool from the circulation of air under them.

Even cooler if you don't do the buttons up.

But I was criticised by a paddock official for wearing sandals, not boots!

Think yourself lucky they didn't hoof-clamp your camel :P

I would arrive earliest Thursday, latest Friday - there is a bit of build up on the Thursday.

Monday morning is earily quiet so I would recommend leaving Sunday after the racing finishes.

Philip

Cheers! Thursday to Sunday it is... Now need to get the darn TR ready. Off to France tomorrow morning for a jolly, not going as far as Le Mans though!

I have noticed that the Track Laps next year mention 'Classic Cars Only'.

In 2006 there were quite a few modern sports cars mixed in!

What is the criteria for track laps in 2008?

Unc

The attached file lists the eligible cars, you will see that the general cut-off date is 1966 but with a long list of additional cars.

For Triumph it is all coupes and cabriolets, although I'm sure that they wouldn't get upset with good condition saloons or estates. Have to say it was quite fun watching a Herald Estate serenely partaking in the circuit laps in 2004!

Notably, some marques get a blanket invitation: Aston Martin, Lotus, MG, TVR, but then again I think all of these marques have raced their in modern times too.

Philip

LMC_2008_Voitures_eligibles_Happy_Few.pdf

LMC_2008_Voitures_eligibles_Happy_Few.pdf

Hi Bob,

I reckon it's a Frog attitude to life. Too much of it was in evidence at the 24 Hours this year, just as it was back in 1980.

They're a nation of losers, so I guess it's our responsibility to remind them of that fact, on a regular basis.

As in forget Le Mans, go to Spa instead.

Cheers,

Alec

---------------------------------------------

Alec, you went to bed again too late or got up too early :blink: IMHO the French are no more losers than any other Nation. Going back as far as the Industrial Revolution you might notice that many technological inventions implemented by the Brits came from France. ;)

Looking back at the more recent great achievements, like the Concorde, A380, Millau bridge, I must say that the French and Brits have clearly finished with Napoleon and Wellington and forgotten Waterloo, so why continue to knock around on them, or shall I dig-up the Opium trade and the consequences :(:(

Cheer up Alec :)

Edited by jean
Hi Jean,

The A380 would have difficulty flying without wings which I may remind you were made in Wales. Was the Concorde not a joint venture?

Regards,

Wyn

And the Millau bridge was also a joint UK-France venture. I think that is Jean's point: the past is the past.

Best

Ross

Yes, I just wanted to say that some of the greatest technological achievements are the result of a good and close cooperation between U.K. and France :rolleyes:

Every country has it's Pro's and Con's and not all French people live in Paris and those living in Paris are not very popular in the rest of the country :angry: , but they are probably the ones organizing the Le Mans Classic, so in a certain way I can understand Alec's antipathy for them <_<

I reckon it's a Frog attitude to life. Too much of it was in evidence at the 24 Hours this year, just as it was back in 1980.

The Classic bears no relation at all to the main June race, as those of us that have been the last couple of times will testify.

A much friendlier event, organised with the view that the cars and drivers attending are an active part of the event, rather than a irritation from which to extract large amounts of money.

I too am starting to loose a bit of my enthusiasm for the proper 24hrs. I skipped it in 2004 and again in 2006 after going every year since '88.

Cheers

Colin