Hi,

I am now nearly finished stripping the engine, all thats left is the wet liners, these are reluctant to leave the block, I have read up on all the tips but still they wont budge. does anyone have any alternative advice?

Also whats the view on replacing them and the pistons?

Thanks for your help.....in advance

Keith

Hi,

I am now nearly finished stripping the engine, all thats left is the wet liners, these are reluctant to leave the block, I have read up on all the tips but still they wont budge. does anyone have any alternative advice?

Also whats the view on replacing them and the pistons?

Thanks for your help.....in advance

Keith

[/quote

Hello Keith a big brass drift and a lump hammer shifted mine, I wasnt too concerned about damaging them though because I fitted new pistons and liners. (88mm in my TR3A)

When you fit your Figure of 8 gaskets with lots of "wellseal" sealant just make sure you make a tool to keep them in place when you are turning the crankshaft!

regards

Peter

Hi Keith,

there is the psychological approach whereby you make the conscious decision to leave the liners in place. Mention out loud to the missus or the cat that "these liners are really great and I hope they don't move".

The little devils will be on the floor in no time.

Alternatively use a bigger hammer - it is only rust that is keeping them in.

:rolleyes: I like this approach best . In my case it is the dog who helps and when I tell him we are stuck in the traffic again and turn off the engine, it is amazing how soon the cars move on.

Yours Richard

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions reverse psychology and a lump hammer did the trick, now just what do the books meam by clean out the water chamber, I spent 2 hours last night with my air drill and wire brush attachment but I reckon I could give it another 8 hours to get it completely free of the rubbish

Keith

Keith,

Get it chemically cleaned to remove all of the debris that will be hiding in corners.

Having gone to all the trouble you have, I am sure that the last think you will want to do is rebuild it and not do everything reasonably possible to do a really good job.

Regards

David