New pistons and liners

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, we started to dismantle the engine. (off with the water pump, carbs., cilinder head etc). Well, in short: I need a new set of pistons and liners for my engine. Both 2nd and 3rd piston are not perfect anymore.

Hence my question: what would you buy? And, more important: what would you recommend?

Regards,

Menno

Hi Menno,

For starters, if you want to economise, you might be able to bore out your existing liners and save them. An engine shop could measure them and advise.

Piston kits come in +20,30 and 40 thou oversize to suit bored liners, but I suggest you purchase the pistons before getting the liners bored, for best fit. Also, oversize pistons go out of stock, so you can get caught short.

I suggest you go for 3 ring pistons, not the heavy tractor ones some suppliers have with a fourth, bottom oil ring. These are low rev, higher friction.

Moss have good pistons for everyday use, or Revington TR if you are looking for high performance. The Roadster Factory in the US had good quality A E Hepolite pistons in matched sets with correctly gapped rings when I last dealt with them. You could contact all three to ask them to describe what they offer. Delivery is easy on USA parts via economy airmail or parcel airfreight.

Suggest you buy the pistons and rings together as a set, deal with a well established reputable supplier when you finally choose, and beware of anyone offering a bargain.

Best regards,

Viv

There's an opportunity here to increase the capacity of your engine by increasing the bore from 83 (1991) to 86 (2138), 87, 88 (2238) or even 89 (some say that is a liitle too large for road cars). It would increase torque (nice for road use) and at the same time would increase the compression ratio - unless you use a thicker head gasket. You would need the correct head gasket for the bore size and, if it is solid copper, you may need to remove a little of the copper to make it fit the chosen bore (if you don't, the copper protruding into the combustion space may cause pre-ignition or pinking).

Worth considering, as it will hardly cost you more than replacing what you have already.

Ian Cornish

Menno

I think you will find that a new piston and liner set will be a little cost.

A matched powermax set up at about 86 - 87mm will improve performance but need no additional modifications to the head or head gasket.

Let us know how you get on.

Unc

In 1988, I bought a set of 1991 cc pistons/rings & liners. I have used them 94,000 miles and never got better than 600 miles to a liter of 10W30 or 20W50 Castol during that time. I have just replaced the rings and I had an engine re-build shop hone the 1988 liner bores for me. I have driven 3000 miles in the last 2 weeks and didn't have to add any oil.

Therefore I have to assume that the set of liners etc. that I bought in 1988 did not have the bores honed when I bought then and assembled the engine back then, therefore I assume that the rings never bedded it properly.

So if you go for new liners, make sure that the bores are honed before assembly.

Don

This week I've asked around: advice, prices etc. I've noticed a huge price difference between suppliers! What can be the reason for that?

I can buy a new 87 mm Mahle set for 807 euros, including VAT (= 1034 USD; 509 GBP). A lot of money! <_< So I went on shopping and found (no-name?) pistons for 414 euros including VAT (Moss UK).

TRshop has an old offering on their website (still valid?) for 220 GBP (including VAT).

Sending goods from GB to the Holland adds about 40 GBP (weight, insurance)

What's your opinion on this? Any experience with Mahle / Moss / TR-shop? Any other advice or address is also very welcome

Regards,

Menno

This week I've asked around: advice, prices etc. I've noticed a huge price difference between suppliers! What can be the reason for that?

I can buy a new 87 mm Mahle set for 807 euros, including VAT (= 1034 USD; 509 GBP). A lot of money! <_< So I went on shopping and found (no-name?) pistons for 414 euros including VAT (Moss UK).

TRshop has an old offering on their website (still valid?) for 220 GBP (including VAT).

Sending goods from GB to the Holland adds about 40 GBP (weight, insurance)

What's your opinion on this? Any experience with Mahle / Moss / TR-shop? Any other advice or address is also very welcome

Regards,

Menno

Menno I have the TR Shop ones in my 4a and they seem to be perfect to me.

Stuart.

Menno

I have 89mm Venolia Pistons / County liners in my TR4 and they are excellent. Try TR Enterprises for these.

Also have 87mm AE pistons in another car and also good. Same for the new OMEGA pistons in another very quick TR I get to drive ...... Ask Revington TR about these.

I wouldnt use cheap pistons in a good TR engine. County manufactured liners seem fine, but need some light machining once fitted to make perfect.

Regards

Tony