For your car you want to get the hard black bakelite one that threads onto the chromed hand-brake lever. Later cars had a similar looking one that was soft pliable plastic that slid onto the shaft. They are available from most TR suppliers.

Don,

Have you got any pictures of the hard black bakelite one that threads onto the chromed hand-brake lever? My TR3A had a strangely shaped black plastic grip on it before I sent the lever for rechroming. I think I still have it somewhere, but it may have been from a mini. I never had a grip on my other TR3A so wasn't aware that there were different types.

Edited by BrianC

Andrew, I assume the profile is the same for both types? At least your picture confirms my belief that the grip fitted to my car was not a TR grip. I may just refit it for posterity (part of the car's history and a nod to a previous owner - as with the hubcap badge on the bonnet of Lynda's TR4A discussed elsewhere).

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the waffle on my car for the TR3A marque celebration - just don't want to tempt fate, although time is getting short and no sign of completion yet. May end up running it in en route to Malvern on its maiden voyage :huh:

Edited by BrianC

Brian - Here are photos of the brake grips. I'm bending the flexible one. The hard bakelite one (blacker) is correct for early cars like Andrew's, Remo's and mine. It is slid over the top end and threaded securely. I can't be sure, but later TRs may have had chromed lever arms without the threads.

Thanks Don.

Out of curiosity, I have just checked the Triumph TR2-3A parts manual and it only lists 108547 grip (hard?) and 107637 lever for all models.

The TR4 parts manual lists the same lever for early cars, but 131321 lever for later cars, with 133613 (soft?) grip for all.

The Moss catalogue describes the early lever and grip as 'screw-on' and the later lever as 'for push-on grip', although the part number for this is given as 131312 (could be a typo?).

I'm just glad I'm not an originality freak or concours judge. :unsure:

Brian - Here are photos of the brake grips. I'm bending the flexible one. The hard bakelite one (blacker) is correct for early cars like Andrew's, Remo's and mine. It is slid over the top end and threaded securely. I can't be sure, but later TRs may have had chromed lever arms without the threads.

Don you are correct the later type hand brake levers dont have a thread on them. Not sure of the comm number when they changed but I have one on the shelf if anybody is interested.

Stuart.

If it's in a box on the shelf, might it possibly be from a later TR4 as noted above ?

It could well be Don, I aquired it amongst a load of other bits off ebay.

Stuart.

Hi Friends,

Don you are right about the grip I'm looking for.

The one I had got broken when I did put back the gearbox. It not repairable!

Hopefully there's someone who has a other one for my as in about a few weeks time I'm off to Malvern England to join the Masterclass.

Thanks for all youre responding ( oh yeah Andrew after waiting for a whole year we finally are going to drink a pint!!).

Cheers

Remo

Remo - If you can't get one before Malvern, beg one for a few hours from a TR owner who will be able to say to his friends that his hand brake grip handle was on the winning TR3 smallmouth in the Grand Masters Concours at the TR international Weekend.

Remo, Master Class is not that much about originality :) it's all about nice looking, perfect interior and paint, no scratches anywhere and cleanliness down to the inside of the exhaust pipe :D In one word polish.. polish... polish... inside out

Hi Jean,

Thanks for responding! I know that it's going to be a lot of polishing!

Last year it was originality (standard class) now it's going to be bling bling!, but still want to keep the car as original as it used to be.

regards

Remo

Remo,

Moss USA (mossmotors.com) has the screw-on handbrake grip currently listed as part 582-655 at $9.95 each. I had TR3B TCF2650L which was the 154th last sidescreen made, and it had the screw-on handbrake lever. As the 3B's were made at the same time as the early 4's, it seems the flexible rubber slip-on grip was introduced somewhere into TR4 production. The bakelite grips always came loose, were eventually overtightened, and stripped the thread. Or they broke off at the thread. They were unavailable for many years, so we used the later rubber grips as a substitute.

Regards,

Viv