Just wondering how people combat getting a flat battery? Car doesn't get used very much, so everytime I go out the battery is flat (the battery is quite new). Car is kept in a block of garages set away from the house, so can't use a trickle charger.

Anyone tried fitting one of those battery isoltor switches or one of those that connects to the battery terminal?

Just wondering how people combat getting a flat battery? Car doesn't get used very much, so everytime I go out the battery is flat (the battery is quite new). Car is kept in a block of garages set away from the house, so can't use a trickle charger.

Anyone tried fitting one of those battery isoltor switches or one of those that connects to the battery terminal?

If you arent using the car for long periods an isolator switch is a good idea. The ones that go straight on the battery are very simple to fit. It might be an idea to check that you dont have something drawing current as a new battery should be able to hold its charge for quite a while. If you put "battery isolator switch" into E Bay it will give you all the types that you need.

Stuart.

Although I have never tried one, I am intrigued by the solar panel type chargers that are designed for just your circumstances. Whether they work or not I don't know, but they were on sale for under £20.

It will help to store the battery indoors if the car isn't used for a few months.

I use the cut-off switch with the removable screw-in knob. Works great: no leaking of the battery, no chance of a short in electrics while stored (fire :( ) and a sort of theft prevention. :rolleyes:

Eric

hello there, i use a battery conditioner, cost me 40 squid, a really good bit of kit, totally looks after the battery, its always charged to turn over the old lump no probs, it keeps it at peak charge and will totally flaten it then recahrge it as nessary, ive also got a battery cut off as well on the car, but i dont take it off when the car is in the garage. so much for the super sunny supper we wre suupossed to be getting eh, roof down and away we go.

The only cure, it seems, is to drain the power off the battery at regular intervals if you don't use the car. As said before it's wise to remove the battery from the car when recharging as the accid vapour can be very nasty. The ideal tool is a charger that is alternating with charging and uncherging cycles, but these should be rather expensive. As with most batteries once used the power will drain away whatever you do, tickle chargers might extend the life, but for best performance the battery should go as flat as possible at regular intervals ;) I used to switch all lights on from time to time and reload afterwards

You need some form of trickle charge, I have one with my carcoon. Have a look at Hamilton Classic's website www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk or give them a ring, I have bought from them in the past and found them really helpful, small company with great service. They have a few different ones in their catalogue and they don't skin you on postage which is unusal these days.

Wyn

Trouble I have with chargers is that I have no power in my garage with it being set away from the house. Have bought one of those Dis-car-nect things so have to see if it makes any differance.

Bl00dy weather, if it wasn't raining all the time would get plenty of charge!!!

I agree with some of the others that say the charge may be trickling away somewhere.

When I left my TR6 in my unpowered garage for the winter - from early November to getting it ready for the spring runs in about March, my battery started the car without any problems. The battery wasn't new either.

Good luck with finding the problem.

Pogo

http://www.cp54542.co.uk/

Check the glovebox light (just like the refrigerator, how do you know its gone out when you close the door?)

The switch is not the most elegant design and closing the glovebox door may not just quite open the contacts given the number of tolerances involved.

All the best in your search for the leakage.

John

Check the glovebox light (just like the refrigerator, how do you know its gone out when you close the door?)

The switch is not the most elegant design and closing the glovebox door may not just quite open the contacts given the number of tolerances involved.

All the best in your search for the leakage.

John

Good point John,

Same applies to the boot light

Cheers Guy

Hi Salmon, I got a couple of these from an eBay US source, you fit and just unscrew the green knob to disconnect battery - if you have a modern type radio/cassette/CD player, you will lose the memories.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-LAND...1QQcmdZViewItem I think Joe has got some more now, very quick and cheap Air Mail delivery (about 4/5 days).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-Car-or-Boat-Batt...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by jonlar

Hi Salmon,

I had a slow discharge from my battery for many years and it drove me mad. I got into the habit of disconnecting the earth lead every time I parked it in the garage. I eventually determined to find the cause and connected a sensitive ammeter in the circuit between the disconnected earth lead and the battery terminal. After disconnecting and reconnecting many wires it eventually turned out to be the alternator. I guess the field coils were breaking down. While I was at it I upgraded to a higher spec alternator so a very happy outcome after many years of frustration.

Regards

Les

Hi Salmon,

I had a slow discharge from my battery for many years and it drove me mad. I got into the habit of disconnecting the earth lead every time I parked it in the garage. I eventually determined to find the cause and connected a sensitive ammeter in the circuit between the disconnected earth lead and the battery terminal. After disconnecting and reconnecting many wires it eventually turned out to be the alternator. I guess the field coils were breaking down. While I was at it I upgraded to a higher spec alternator so a very happy outcome after many years of frustration.

Regards

Les

I have the same problem with my 250. When you upgraded you alternator, did you use a different Lucas unit, or some other brand?

Thanks

I have the same problem with my 250. When you upgraded you alternator, did you use a different Lucas unit, or some other brand?

Thanks

The alternator looks like its been changed recently, so don't think its that. My guess is its the radio, but need to check.

As advised have bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260123241931

I bought a Sealey solar panel to combat a flat battery. It needs to be fitted INSIDE a window so I'm guessing it would be no use to you. I used mine with a new battery, a week later the battery was as flat as a Hedgehog on the motorway. Complete waste of money. I could have got 2 new batterys for the same price as the panel!

The alternator looks like its been changed recently, so don't think its that. My guess is its the radio, but need to check.

As advised have bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260123241931

Good choice, easy to fit and use.

Stuart.

Hi Angelfi,

My new alternator is labelled "CJF Rotating Electrics REP Lucas A103". It looks exactly like my old Lucas one. It is equivalent to the Lucas 18ACR and is 45 amps. This is not much use to you but I got it from A&P Electronics in Hereford and it cost £30 + VAT. The pulley had to be swapped with the one from my old unit. Works very well and no constant discharge so I'm very pleased with it.

Regards

Les

Hi Angelfi,

My new alternator is labelled "CJF Rotating Electrics REP Lucas A103". It looks exactly like my old Lucas one. It is equivalent to the Lucas 18ACR and is 45 amps. This is not much use to you but I got it from A&P Electronics in Hereford and it cost £30 + VAT. The pulley had to be swapped with the one from my old unit. Works very well and no constant discharge so I'm very pleased with it.

Regards

Les

Les: Thanks for the info. perhaps there's a supplier here in the states.

Cheers, Frank