Hi Paul, first of all, a very warm welcome to the Forum, the best I know on the 'net. There are differing experiences and opinions in the Forum about NDM, try a search for "North Devon" and that'll call a few up, well worth PMing the members concerned!

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....;hl=north+devon

will take you to one of them, at least one useful thread disappeared a while back when we experienced a "meltdown".

Paul,

Whereabouts are you? I spoke to Revington TR and NDM when we were looking for someone to rebuild my TR3A, but decided on TRGB. Cost-wise there is probably not much between them, but it was important to us to be able to visit easily to check on progress and discuss any problems, and also to take away parts to work on at home to reduce the cost a little (e.g. stripping and derusting panels, cleaning/degreasing/painting rear axle and other components, etc). The most important thing is to establish a good working relationship and keep involved (and expect it to cost more than you think at the outset!).

PM me if you want any more info.

I booked my car in and drove down there on a saturday morning. There were two brothers who looked over the problem areas and agreed to start on Monday and be finished by Friday. My wife collected me and we had a week end away.

On Monday the father rang up and told me to take the car away immediately, with no proper reason. They were making repairs to a racing Jaguar at the time. I went back next Saturday on the 'bus and still have the problems 2 years later. In fact I am booked into a paint shop on 4 June this year.

I think the father is a tough old sheet metal worker and the sons are a bit slow, but friendly. Overall it was a depressing interlude.

Richard

Hi

I am looking at having the body of my TR3A rebuild and am considering using North Devon Metal Craft. Has anyone had any experience of this company?

Thanks

Paul

I removed the spot welds from the scuttle on my TR3A and posted it to them for repair, they said it could not be repaired, but would make me a new one for around £250, this would take 2 weeks.

Months and months and months went by, the answer always the same another 2 weeks mate we have been busy, eventually my patience ran out and I asked for my scuttle back.

I had it repaired locally for £40

Peter

I removed the spot welds from the scuttle on my TR3A and posted it to them for repair, they said it could not be repaired, but would make me a new one for around £250, this would take 2 weeks.

Months and months and months went by, the answer always the same another 2 weeks mate we have been busy, eventually my patience ran out and I asked for my scuttle back.

I had it repaired locally for £40

Peter

Hi, i hope you don't mind me buttting in to the conversation, but with the regard to panel work, give it a go, it's realy quite easy to make panels like the scuttle, the TR is just like the austin healey frogeye, easy peasy with very few curvy parts. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I started rebuilding my TR3a about 9 months ago and needed a new RH rear outer quarter panel, the bottom half of the existing one on the vehicle looked like a piece of rusty lace. After phoning around all the usual suppliers I found that the part was out of stock and no one would give me a re-supply date, and then someone told me about NDM - they said that they made complete body shells and would therfore be able to supply one.

I rang NDM and up and obviously I got the father. He started by saying they didn't supply the part. When I pointed out that they must have made them for their own bodyshells he said (and I am pretty much quoting verbatim here) - "They are only for our own use and anyway I am not going to sell you one". With that he put the phone down.

I don't think they have quite caught on to customer care yet, I would never contemplate using them for anything after that no matter how good they might be. Incidentally I have heard very a respected TR owner complain about the unsympathetic restoration work that they did on one of his vehicles.

Rgds Ian

Hi,

I started rebuilding my TR3a about 9 months ago and needed a new RH rear outer quarter panel, the bottom half of the existing one on the vehicle looked like a piece of rusty lace. After phoning around all the usual suppliers I found that the part was out of stock and no one would give me a re-supply date, and then someone told me about NDM - they said that they made complete body shells and would therfore be able to supply one.

I rang NDM and up and obviously I got the father. He started by saying they didn't supply the part. When I pointed out that they must have made them for their own bodyshells he said (and I am pretty much quoting verbatim here) - "They are only for our own use and anyway I am not going to sell you one". With that he put the phone down.

I don't think they have quite caught on to customer care yet, I would never contemplate using them for anything after that no matter how good they might be. Incidentally I have heard very a respected TR owner complain about the unsympathetic restoration work that they did on one of his vehicles.

Rgds Ian

Ian I gave up with quarter panel lower repairs a long time ago as the repros arent that good anyway and only made in 20 gauge anyway. I found it was quite expensive to buy a complete panel only to cut it up and use the last 4-6 inches. I now make it up myself to suit each car individually in 18 gauge and then lead it into the rest of the panel with a proper drain in it as well. A much more substantial repair that will last for ever!

Stuart.