Paint cracking in seam between panels

The seam between the rear wing and body of my TR6 is painted over . However after some months of use the cellulose paint in the seam cracks, presumably caused by movement or vibration between the panels and the soft seam sealer. The cellulose paint appears to be of a “normal” stiffness and is not brittle. The cracks do not spread to the panels.

Currently I use a fine brush and overpaint the cracks but after a few months the seam has re-cracked and the white sealer is visible against the dark body colour through the fine cracks once again.

The sealer itself appears to have been correctly applied, is not too thick and does not protrude from the seam.

Is there a way to correct this cycle, or should a seam sealer not be used?

Alan

Im sure Stuart will give you some pointers, but have you thought of fitting g he s/s wing beads.

Mark

+1 on wing bead as original to '69. TR6. You can then either shine them or paint them body colour or even contrasting colour.

Peter W

Non setting screen sealer is the way to go and dont overpaint. never ever use a white sealer (god knows what but sounds like bathroom sealer)

Personally I tend to persuade my customers to have the wing beads and then paint them as per early cars.

Stuart.

Hi Alan,

I had the panel joints on my 4A filled in with 'special' filler. Within 6 months the 'special' filler was no better than the rubbish filler.

So rather than panic and get them redone I simply covered them with a s/s plate. This was mainly to keep the water out.

So far 19 years later the crack hasn't escaped.

Roger

The seam between the rear wing and body of my TR6 is painted over . However after some months of use the cellulose paint in the seam cracks, presumably caused by movement or vibration between the panels and the soft seam sealer. The cellulose paint appears to be of a “normal” stiffness and is not brittle. The cracks do not spread to the panels.

Currently I use a fine brush and overpaint the cracks but after a few months the seam has re-cracked and the white sealer is visible against the dark body colour through the fine cracks once again.

The sealer itself appears to have been correctly applied, is not too thick and does not protrude from the seam.

Is there a way to correct this cycle, or should a seam sealer not be used?

Alan

What colour is the body?

My 6 is royal blue, I used (on recommendation) Dum Dum on the rear wings and I have had the same problem always; however, I used black RTV on the front wings, I masked both sides and it left a nice slightly convex profile, like a small wing bead. It still looks good 27 years later. I painted the wings off the car by the way.

There are different shades of RTV indicating different uses but for panel sealing they will all do the same job.....It sticks like shyte to an army blanket and dries hard enough so you won't rub it away like DUM DUM. Grrrr!

Cheers ken

Hi Alan,

I had the panel joints on my 4A filled in with 'special' filler. Within 6 months the 'special' filler was no better than the rubbish filler.

So rather than panic and get them redone I simply covered them with a s/s plate. This was mainly to keep the water out.

So far 19 years later the crack hasn't escaped.

Roger

attachicon.gifP1050098a.jpg

Thats why I lead across those joints, file the line back so it looks correct. Then it doesnt crack.

Stuart.

What colour is the body?

My 6 is royal blue, I used (on recommendation) Dum Dum on the rear wings and I have had the same problem always; however, I used black RTV on the front wings, I masked both sides and it left a nice slightly convex profile, like a small wing bead. It still looks good 27 years later. I painted the wings off the car by the way.

There are different shades of RTV indicating different uses but for panel sealing they will all do the same job.....It sticks like shyte to an army blanket and dries hard enough so you won't rub it away like DUM DUM. Grrrr!

Cheers ken

Answer is dont overpaint. Problem with using RTV is if you ever want to remove them you cant.

Stuart.

If I fit beads to my seams where were these fitted on TR6's? Was it just the rear wing or was there also a bead fitted to the 4" of seam on the front wing between the bonnet and the windscreen?

Alan

If I fit beads to my seams where were these fitted on TR6's? Was it just the rear wing or was there also a bead fitted to the 4" of seam on the front wing between the bonnet and the windscreen?

Alan

No only on the rear wing originally though I have made up a small front one as a special order for one customer.

Stuart.