Pricing themselves out of the market? TR4

Interesting thread this,

My tuppence worth is that the market is distorted just now. We've all heard, and indeed know of folk buying classic cars now because"their money is doing nothing in the bank" and these are a much better investment, and then asking where to check the oil because they have never had to do that before?

Can't see these folks

A) being proper TR,ers, who get the "wind in what's left of the hair" or "the dead flies on the teeth, that come from that" or

B) looking after their TR's properly, especially when the market levels, and they need to spend serious dosh on 'maintaining' their investment.

These cars will eventually be back on the market, at ridiculously inflated prices, and be for sale in an ever decreasing market place as we proper TR,ers! age.

Buy a TR, IF YOU WANT ONE, enjoy it whilst you have it, but you'll get burned if you think it's an easy way of

making a financial killing.

John.

Edited by john

It wasn't being sold at a reduced price, the gentleman wanted close to £30k for it and the engine bay had been painted Matt black as the car had gone through a colour change and this was done to save money / time - he'd seen other professionally restored cars advertised and thought his must be worth the same! Errrrrr no!

Can't see these folks

A) being proper TR,ers, who get the "wind in what's left of the hair" or "the dead flies on the teeth, that come from that" or

B looking after their TR's properly, especially when the market levels, and they need to spend serious dosh on 'maintaining' their investment.

Who cares! I don't. TR ownership and driving isn't for an elite club!

Go figure: in the 60s these cars were run on a shoestring by young blokes. With the business instinct of a few people (here), it became possible to turn the old banger into something nice to keep. Then, lot of these youngsters sold the cars: too expensive to maintain, starting a family, making a profit because someone else wanted to restore it etc. Back then the 'owner landscape' changed too. And it has changed several times in 40, 50 yrs. And nowadays, we shouldn't be too conservative about who /what's buying our cars! Just be glad it is not the council for scrapping them!

Imagine this: somewhere in the future you decide to sell the car for whatever reason. What do you do when people arrive on your doorstep? Assess them as 'that's a proper TR'er in my book' or 'a guy what a load of cash in his pocket'? Surely you will go for the cash. (So yes, my car is for sale)

When a guy comes along and offers me enough money, he can buy it off my hands any on the spot. It's a car, a mix and match of metal parts. Not a human or a pet! Perhaps I would go out and buy another car. On the other hand perhaps not and use the money for a trip around the world. Dunno

I am amazed by the conservative attitude about prices on the rise. Surely it has its disadvantages (what goes up, must come down). But for us, owners, it's not too bad. As a member of the Porsche 914World website, I can see the same with the 914 prices. The only affordable Porsche now. These prices are up too (as I mentioned). Partly because Magnus Walker got interested in 914s. Consensus on the 914 forum: '...at last, people see what we saw a long time ago...' And '... those prices make it easier to tell the wife that I've bought expensive parts for the 914...'

Has it to do with the fact that most 914 owners are really a younger generation than TR owners? (Average age <45yrs)

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

As a relatively new Tr4er here is my take on this.......

This time last year we were in the market for a classic to do mostly touring as we already had a Midget for classic rallying and I was doing up another midget that had not run since 1993. I did not have the time, space or inclination to do major work on another car so looked for something where the majority of the work had already been done by someone else. Having looked at every classic two seater and a lot of Morgans we decided on a TR4 as it looks so good ,has a good supply of parts and is relatively easy to fettle (mechanically at least). In the end I bought one that had been restored to a high standard and had a new CTM chassis but had to travel to Devon to get the right one at the right price.As usual we ended up spending more that budgeted but found I kept going back to the for sale page just to look at the car so it had to be done. We have covered a couple of thousand miles in it since then and hope to up that this year to nearer the 3k mark. Of course it has had a few niggles; passenger window dropped,alternator conked out,long brake travel due to loose wheel bearing,running on, etc but these are not unusual for a 54 year old car.

Looking at prices now,for a similar car, I think I would have to pay knocking on for 10k more which means that when I have come to renew the insurance I have had to go for a higher agreed value to be able to replace it in the event of loss. On the face of it the higher value sounds good but I like driving the car and as it increases in value I am more wary of it being nicked or knacked whilst out there.

What I am trying to say is that there are upsides and downsides to the increase in the cars value.

I love the car and still spend some time just looking at it before firing it up for a blast around the lakes.

I have also been grateful for the help and advice given by the regulars on this forum over the past year of ownership and hope to keep on fro many years to come.

John S

Life is too short! If you like the car then buy it! In the past 3 or 4 years I have been too slow in making a decision to buy 2 lovely TR4's I had seen because I thought the price a bit too high. 3 or 4 years on (or even a year on with another!) the prices now seem fair for the specification on offer. I have regretted since, the decisions not to buy even though I subsequently bought a nice example! I think about those 2 cars every damn week!

Regards.

Mark - what was the "perfectly good reason" referred to below?

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

There was discontent recently here for a TR4a that was should we say offered below market price as it turns out for perfectly good reason. My mate bought it and it's a good car despite the sceptisism.

Now we have discontent for higher prices. Seems there is no happy medium.

Edited by Mark1965TR4aBRG, Yesterday, 01:36 AM.