Fitting head rest to ROPS

just quick questions.

1959 TR3a

the car i now am custodian of ( since June), used to sprint and hill climb in the 1980's but it appears that i need to undertake some MSA blue book, FIA modifications if i want to join in !!??

Can one (for sprint and hill climb regs) fit a headrest to a ROPS and retain the original seats with an anti tilt backrest lock and still comply. or change to seat with headrests :(

what ROPS do you consider the best as a roll bar

the racetorations one seems to fit to the floor and inner rear arches ( and can be added to later with the under dash hoop and door bars) ?

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumphs-c56/tr3a-c5/tr3a-roll-cages-and-safety-devices-c97

where as the Revington Tr one fit only to the inner wheel arches ?

http://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr9047-3hbr/name/rob-comp-tr2-3b-removable-diag-harness-bar-rhd

i have found other posts interesting re the rear fire wall needs etc

or is there a TR register road going class that saves the changes to a nice car ?

help and advice from the competition fraternity very welcome just don’t scare me with talk of power mods that would get me on a podium – I don’t have that sort of money and its main use will be enjoying the countryside of the northwest !

Hamish

I think, using the the cage as a head rest is not a good idea to do.

The cage is handling the car, the seat is handling the driver and both should be working independently.

If the cage collapse your cage head rest will kill you.

If a seat head rest is there, it might give you a small chance.

To answer your last question first regarding TR Register class it all depends upon how far you wish to progress, there are some sprints available organise by the register but I'm not sure of the regs having never attended one.

The easy answer is a roll over at 15 mph on the main road stands as much chance of killing or injuring you (and is far more likely) than a 100 mph spin off on a racetrack. So as far as I'm concerned roll over bar or hoop, good safety belts multi point rather than lap strap with diagonal, and of course an alloy rear of cockpit firewall is the minimum I consider needed for PUBLIC road use never mind competition.

Check out the requirements with sprint organisers (the Forum has members promoting events at Blyton for a track day, try a search on the forum) to get more detailed information.

Mick Richards

Thanks for all the pointers

I do want to be safe and I recognise there are various routes to that goal. But I would also want to take the right route if scrutineers needed to be satisfied. And there are a lot of products out there proporting to offer all things to all men ( and women).

The head rest connected to the roll bar frame is not my idea. I have just seen pictures of this option. Like here

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/blog/blog/

Don't know if it's a known car ? But appears to have a low seat and head rest attached to ROPS

Perhaps a period design ?

But I am trying to learn

So thank you for all your help.

H

Hi Hamish

I assume that you have read the "Getting Started" document on our website and that you have the latest Blue Book as a reference.

Remember that your car is Period Defined (Section B of the Blue Book) and Roadgoing

To answer your question re headrests, and in deference to previous answers, I would guess that 99% of cars competing in Sprints and Hillclimbs have their headrests bolted to the ROPS. In addition the ROPS can also have a bar that a four point harness can be attached to, either with purpose mountings or by wrapping. It is OK to use a lap and diagonal seat belt but I wouldn't recommend it. Some cars have both types fitted, use one for the road and the other for competition.

In terms of what ROPS to buy I would suggest that it would be worth talking to the suppliers to see what their ROPS comply with. I am not aware of a ROPS for a roadgoing TR that complies fully with the blue book and still allows the hood to be fitted and removed. Width and height are the issue.

Please e-mail me with any specific questions re our Championship, e-mail address is rcmcewen@btinternet.com

Why not visit a Hillclimb and talk to the competitors and scrutineers, everyone is very helpful. Shelsley Walsh is a Championship round on the 17th September.

Roger

Hi Hamish

The links that Kev and Roger provided will be a great start point if you are considering the TR Register Sprint and Hillclimb championship. If you are considering other championship events then it would be wise to obtain a copy of their regulations before you do too much. The Blue book (which is available on-line if you dig hard enough) is the ultimate guide but as you have a road going car and its of period A-E many of the "requirements" of the Blue Book you are exempt from, but I would certainly regard them as still good guidance and sensible (its your life!).

ROPS isn't required for road going A-E but as Roger said you'd be (putting it politely) very wise to fit one. And this as far as I'm aware is an interesting one. I couldn't find a ROPS for the Vitesse that met all the Blue Book Requirements, and was also confused why countless cars competing in road going classes had ROPS fitted that obviously also didn't meet the requirements. The answer it appears was that as they are not required, but you are free to fit one, it doesn't have to meet any requirements. Experience however seems to show that having one that is made as closely to the requirements as is possible, is one sensible, and two is likely to smooth progress through scrutineering (you don't want to be having safety "discussions" with a scrutineer if you can avoid it). I would certainly get one with a diagonal brace and harness bar (removable or not is your choice) The harness bar makes fitting a four point (or more) harness much easier (and whilst you can compete with the original 3 point harness, you really don't want to!). Unlike ROPS if you decide to not use the original 3 point, what ever you fit must meet the requirements of the Blue Book, i.e. you cant fit a replacement 3 point it at a minimum must be a 4 point and mounted as per the requirements, A harness bar makes this much easier.

As Roger said if you don't have a seat with a head-restraint (and many that do don't actually meet the requirements) then most people do seem to fit them to the ROPS, to be honest in an old TR the ROPS is going to be the most structurally sound structure in the car!.

As Roger said come along to one of the Register Championship events and talk to other competitors, they will probably help you decide what you do and don't need to do.

Alan

Hamish,

Good idea to try your seat headrests while wearing a helmet - chances are your neck/head will be forced into an awkward angle.

Flame-proof gloves a good idea - I gather surgical repair of burned hands is far from simple. Peter

Hamish,

You live in Cheshire? I recommend Protection and Performance Ltd (please Google - I can't post links from my tablet, or don't know how to). They are in Kelnbrook, Lancs, doing a lot of military and security business as well as sport. They could build you whatever you wanted, and for a good price, IMHO.

John, in Rio

Edited by john.r.davies

Thank you again to all the help and advice. Think I need a hard copy of the blue book as trying to work out the non requirement for the period defined vehicles is harder to work out what a modern rally car needs !!!

As has been said before the road going classes don't need ROPS but it's a good idea to have one. I just need to buy a good one. Revington TR seem to have the options - harness bar, remove able diag etc.

The chap I bought the car off did Prescott etc but the fitted 3 point harness was good enough then !

Thank you again

All food for thought.

And sorry about the post location. I realise it should be in the car prep forum

Hamish

Hamish,

You will need an MSA license (non-race, cheapish) so you will get the latest copy of the Blue Book with that. But meanwhile it is available online and section by section on the MSA website. Download Section K Safety and the Hillclimb section and you have it all.

Job