Knowing where it stops only matter if you know where it starts, Roger. Sounds to me like your tank still has almost 3 gallons in it. See how much farther it goes until it's really empty. Take a fuel can with you for the experiment and you probably wouldn't lose a minute before you're back running again.

Roger

Gauge has long been u/s - I use a dowel dipstick marked off in galls. On my 6 I reckon it could be about 2 gallons short using the pump cut-off rather than filling to the bottom of the tube, by eye.

2 gallons being 9 litres, up here.

Peter

:huh: Hi Peter,

I've been scratching my head about this one.

I know I regularly put in 40Ltrs with the gauge showing empty(ish). But!!! I don;t actually know how much is in the tank.

So I need to account for 10ltrs.

The nozzle is always fully in the tank - so it isn't quite brimmed :(

Perhaps it is 11 gals (50 ltrs).

The obvious answer is that Stuart has spoken - I will listen - I know he is right :)

Roger

Yeah, but he failed to mention the stink of fuel in the boot from the leaking sender unit and/or gasket when the tank is brimmed. - An issue my car has so I let the pump cut off at 40 litres. Perhaps I should just get busy and repair the sender gasket.....

Cheers

Peter W

Ah !

11 gallons -_-

Explains my smelly boot, but on a run I always bring the neck and then rock the car 2-3 times to clear the air bubbles in the corner (another half a gallon)

.............I'll take the extra range every time B)

Roger,

I don't think you are on your own with a petrol tank of 8 or 9 gallons. My TR4 also has a tank of only 9 gallons, as I have never got more than 41 litres in it.....from empty. I had believed the workshop manual 'quoted' capacity of 53.5 litres or 11 3/4 gallons, always believing the fuel gauge simply under read, until driving around lake maggiore last year. Yes I ran out of juice! only 41 litres went in. Now with the benefit of hind sight I must have been running on fumes on many occasions!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Swarf

Blimey Chris, that's a sobering thought. :blink:

I'll dip my tank next time and report back, maybe on the IWE run.

So, a batch of smaller repro tanks ?? Did any TR ever have a 9 gallon tank, no? So why does everybody think TR4's are/ should be 11 gallons.......

I believe that the TR4A handbook states that the tank is 113/4 gallons.

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme

Yes, that's the point ,we all think we have 11-11.5 gallon tanks

However, Roger and now Chris have reason to believe their tanks are smaller @ 9 gallons (so where did they come from?)