TR4A temperature sender resistance - a favour

Thanks Roger

When you look at the adverts for these they sing the virtues of solid state reliability. You could therefore assume that the unit would already have these caps in place.

Ive dissected mine and find its just a box containing a regulator and three wires soldered on - in a silicon gel.

Anyway.......Ive ordered TI LM2940T and associated recommended input and output tantalum capacitors and I am going to try and find a small metal case to act as an heat sink to build it up - any recommendations? I dont want to butcher my old mechanical one.

Also Ive had to order 5 lots so if anyone wants to build their own I will have 4 spare - which will be at cost around £3 to 4 + p&p.

Nick

On the input (12V side) try a 47 or 100uf capacitor and on the output (10V side) use a 0.1uf. One end of each cap goes to the relative in/out terminal. The other end goes to earth.

Isn't that the wrong way round Roger? The 0,1uF will have less inductance and hence be better at removing the HF noise on the input to the regulator.

Pete

Yes - 0.47uF on the input and a minimum of 22uF on the output.

Edited by RobH

Isn't that the wrong way round Roger? The 0,1uF will have less inductance and hence be better at removing the HF noise on the input to the regulator.

Pete

+1

One of the component types we religiously avoided on aircraft was Tantalum capacitors.

1. failure modes produce a small fire and toxic fumes

2. lifetime is low in high temperature environments

3. lifetime is lowish anyway

These are more for throwaway IT things in offices etc.

Very high capacitance is not required. I'd be using Mylar film and ceramic.

You want an alloy enclosure, NOT steel - thermal conductivity is too low.

Alan the data sheet recommends tantalum caps due to their stable ESR over a wide range of temperatures. Apparently ESR increases 30x at low temps on cheap caps. Dont know about ceramic and mylar film.

I'm thinking of cutting a cube size of aluminium square section tube and mounting the regulator on the inside with the leads exiting through a hole. Then glueing some end covers on.

Or stop trying to re-invent the wheel and buy a s/hand original one. They last for donkeys years.

Stuart.