Does anyone know a source of the plastic wing piping used on TR2's up to commission number 8636? The original spare parts manual shows this item (part number 700947) as being available in a range of colours to match the body paintwork.

This wing piping pre-dates the later aluminium wing beading used on later TR2s - TR3As (which, confusingly, has the same part number).

Richard

Dear Richard,

I purchased wing piping from MOSS last year. Initially I thought they had sent me the TR2 piping as it appeared to be plastic. On closer examination I relaised the piping was covered with a dull tough plastic coating that can be peeled off to reveal shiny metal underneath.

I assumed that MOSS supply this piping for all side-screen TRs. If you have the appropriate TR2 then you just paint over the plastic coating and if you have a later car you peel off the plastic coating. Hence the same part mumber perhaps?

Maybe you'd better check with MOSS that my assumptions are correct before you purchase it. Their contact details are under the 'Suppliers' section of this website.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Richard

I've found the source I was thinking about, Nigel Coles of Phoenix supplies in Cullompton. He does a complete catalogue of trim, seals and rubber extrusions for Triumphs.

The wing piping is 4.75mm round by 25mm tall, and is in black pvc and is 90p a metre.

His details are.

Unit C1a Langland's Business Park, Uffculme, Cullompton, Devon. EX15 3DA UK

TEL: 01884 849294 FAX: 01884 849295 MBL: 07795 660194

E-mail phoenixsupplies@hotmail.com

I've just looked at the Woolies site, and their piping is 6mm round pvc, and in basic colours, like red, grey, blue, black and white, so it would be interesting to know if its better to spray the pvc to match your paint or use the nearest basic colour, to my knowledge the original piping was like the prewar canvas type which was usually painted over when doing a respray.

Regards John

Edited by johnhodges

The depth of the "tail" on the piping is a major factor in getting them to sit nicely when fitting and tightening up the wings. Too short and it will tend to try and lift out of the joint. I get my trimmer to make mine in a colour to suit as painting them seperate is a pain and painting after fitting isnt very satisfactory.

Stuart.

Many of the 2s here is the US have sourced the piping from Woolies. I believe their part number is 274 available in white or black. If the body color is a light shade choose the white and black for darker. The panel beater / painter that I used for my TS981 added some type of additive to the paint the give some amount of flex.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana

USA

Dear Richard,

I purchased wing piping from MOSS last year. Initially I thought they had sent me the TR2 piping as it appeared to be plastic. On closer examination I relaised the piping was covered with a dull tough plastic coating that can be peeled off to reveal shiny metal underneath.

I assumed that MOSS supply this piping for all side-screen TRs. If you have the appropriate TR2 then you just paint over the plastic coating and if you have a later car you peel off the plastic coating. Hence the same part mumber perhaps?

Maybe you'd better check with MOSS that my assumptions are correct before you purchase it. Their contact details are under the 'Suppliers' section of this website.

Regards,

Martin

I think the plastic is just a protective coating and would not turn out to be very durable because it peels off so easily.

Nick

Thanks to all who replied so promptly.

Randy/Lou - I have now accessed the Woolies website ( http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk ) and they sell PVC Piping in various colours which looks suitable

John - I haven't yet looked at Pheonix Supplies but will do so

Stuart - thanks for the fitting tip - I understand that if you relieve the PVC strip adjacent to the wing mounting bolts you void the "squeeze" effect which can come from locally compressing the Piping

Martin - I think the Moss trim to which you were referring is the bright aluminium trim which comes supplied with a blue protective wrapping. This was fitted to late TR2s - TR3A and forms a continuous strip from the base of the front apron through to the scuttle. The early TR2s had discontinuous wing piping - one strip ran from the base of the front apron to the front of the engine bay - the second strip of piping ran only a short distance from the back of the engine bay to the scuttle.

kind regards

Richard

Thanks to all who replied so promptly.

Randy/Lou - I have now accessed the Woolies website ( http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk ) and they sell PVC Piping in various colours which looks suitable

John - I haven't yet looked at Pheonix Supplies but will do so

Stuart - thanks for the fitting tip - I understand that if you relieve the PVC strip adjacent to the wing mounting bolts you void the "squeeze" effect which can come from locally compressing the Piping

Martin - I think the Moss trim to which you were referring is the bright aluminium trim which comes supplied with a blue protective wrapping. This was fitted to late TR2s - TR3A and forms a continuous strip from the base of the front apron through to the scuttle. The early TR2s had discontinuous wing piping - one strip ran from the base of the front apron to the front of the engine bay - the second strip of piping ran only a short distance from the back of the engine bay to the scuttle.

kind regards

Richard

Richard I have fitted stainless beads to a 2 but you need to cut the front ones up into a section for the apron and a section for the edge of the scuttle as the 2 bonnet is slightly wider then the 3/3a one. I finished the cut ends the same as the outer ends and on a dark coloured car (in that instance a BRG one) it does break the colour up very nicely. Just an altenative idea and actually a darn sight easier to fit than the PVC/cloth/rubber variety.

Stuart.

Richard I have fitted stainless beads to a 2 but you need to cut the front ones up into a section for the apron and a section for the edge of the scuttle as the 2 bonnet is slightly wider then the 3/3a one. I finished the cut ends the same as the outer ends and on a dark coloured car (in that instance a BRG one) it does break the colour up very nicely. Just an altenative idea and actually a darn sight easier to fit than the PVC/cloth/rubber variety.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I hadn't realised the TR2 bonnet was slightly wider. I may play around with a pair of (used) stainless steel beads and see what it looks like as a possible alternative.

Richard

Thanks Stuart. I hadn't realised the TR2 bonnet was slightly wider. I may play around with a pair of (used) stainless steel beads and see what it looks like as a possible alternative.

Richard

I guess there's a mad scramble as we all head out to the garage with tape measures. I had not heard about differing bonnet widths. My parts book only shows a change at commission number 4229, which is when the concealed bonnet locks were deleted. The reduction in the number of ventilation slots during the TR2 run appears to go un-mentioned. The next change is much later when the TR3A was re-tooled and the raised hinges were introduced. If a different bonnet is to be used with the introduction of stainless trim, this is not listed.

Nick Webster

TS3690

Edited by Nick Webster

Having had to change bonnets from one model to another and even car to car of the same model I can assure you there is a wide variety of widths but the general trend is the 2 bonnets are wider but all bonnets are slightly different. Virtually all of the outer panels are slightly different from one car to another and thats why it always takes longer than you would think to just change one for another. The joys of 50s manufacturing processes ;)

Stuart.

This shows how close the bonnet is and the need to cut the trims to suit.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Looks really good. It looks very similar to the BRG that my car (59 TR3a) was originally and is going to be re-painted.

I have already bought 5 litres of paint but now realise that won't be enough and I will need to buy some more

Where did you get your paint from and did they make it up to match or is it to the original codes?

I assume it is cellulose.

I live near Plymouth so its no big deal to collect it locally.

Rgds Ian

Guest colinTR2
This shows how close the bonnet is and the need to cut the trims to suit.

Stuart.

Stuart

NICE!!

The chromed trim around the mouth, do you know what the situation is, I was looking at prototypes of this last year at Malvern. Does your car have the original, or is this new?

cheers

Colin

Stuart,

Looks really good. It looks very similar to the BRG that my car (59 TR3a) was originally and is going to be re-painted.

I have already bought 5 litres of paint but now realise that won't be enough and I will need to buy some more

Where did you get your paint from and did they make it up to match or is it to the original codes?

I assume it is cellulose.

I live near Plymouth so its no big deal to collect it locally.

Rgds Ian

Thanks Ian. The colour was mixed to match a BRG Berger sample from the eighties. It is Lechler cellulose but it was done about four years ago when cellulose was still readily available. I dont think any of the paint suppliers down here are keeping celly now or if they are its at an exhorbitant price. I now have to buy from a guy up in Buxton. Ken & Lyn 01298 814813.

Stuart.

Stuart

NICE!!

The chromed trim around the mouth, do you know what the situation is, I was looking at prototypes of this last year at Malvern. Does your car have the original, or is this new?

cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin. The car is a customers one I ground up rebuilt about four years ago and the chrome trim around the mouth is its original, all I had to do was give it a polish and it was still like new! I did have to make new fasteners as they werent available then. I havent seen the new repro ones in the flesh yet and they are the complete ones not the three quarter ones from the earlier cars. Im not sure if any of the US suppliers are doing the early ones either. Simon Westlake who is sometimes on here as "I used to have one of those" may be able to help as I think he had a three quarter one for sale a while ago.

Stuart.