Took the Tr2 out today to keep things moving and lubricated - it ticked over OK, but just didn't have any power.

I could reach 40 or 50 mph, but knew it wasn't right.

Back to the garage and checked a few things:-

All plugs sparking

Changed rotor arm

Changed condenser

No Change

Changed coil

Fitted new points

No change

Fitted new Distributor cap and leads

No Change

Cleaned fuel pump

Cleaned carb float chamber

Checked suction chamber and piston

NO Change

Removed and cleaned glass sediment bowl

Cleaned gauze filter

NO CHANGE

Checked spark plugs again - found that number 3 was a little wet.

Swapped with an old plug..........

BACK TO FULL POWER!!!!!!

The faulty plug was giving a spark (must have been week) - these were fitted new after Malvern!

As you can guess the car is running fantastic now - everything has been changed or checked and it feels great.

Roll on summer.......

Martin :D

Took the Tr2 out today to keep things moving and lubricated - it ticked over OK, but just didn't have any power.

I could reach 40 or 50 mph, but knew it wasn't right.

Back to the garage and checked a few things:-

All plugs sparking

Changed rotor arm

Changed condenser

No Change

Changed coil

Fitted new points

No change

Fitted new Distributor cap and leads

No Change

Cleaned fuel pump

Cleaned carb float chamber

Checked suction chamber and piston

NO Change

Removed and cleaned glass sediment bowl

Cleaned gauze filter

NO CHANGE

Checked spark plugs again - found that number 3 was a little wet.

Swapped with an old plug..........

BACK TO FULL POWER!!!!!!

The faulty plug was giving a spark (must have been week) - these were fitted new after Malvern!

As you can guess the car is running fantastic now - everything has been changed or checked and it feels great.

Roll on summer.......

Martin :D

A quick trick showed to me by an old mechanic to diagnose which cylinder is not working on a misfiring engine is to lick your finger and quickly touch the exaust manifold outlet for each cylinder. The one where the liquid does not evaporate immediatley is the cylinder with a problem. Really quick dianosis of a misfire

Cheers

Alan

A quick trick showed to me by an old mechanic to diagnose which cylinder is not working on a misfiring engine is to lick your finger and quickly touch the exaust manifold outlet for each cylinder. The one where the liquid does not evaporate immediatley is the cylinder with a problem. Really quick dianosis of a misfire

So you end up with only three blistered fingers not four - great! :lol:

I guess you’re really buggered if you have a V12! ;)

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Little Jim

You have to be careful wee'ing on the manafold cause if you miss you could get the rotating fan and suffer from splashback :P or even un unplanned circumcision if you are really blessed :lol:

Cheers

Alan

:blink: One of the 1920s Bentley team`s favorite party trick was to pull a spark plug lead off while the engine was running, stick his finger up the end and then earth the spark back off the end of his member!!! Good trick if you can do it and thats with a magneto!! :blink::blink:

Stuart.

Ouch ... makes me wince just to read that! When I was young (a very long time ago), a favourite dare for lads living in the country was to pee on an electric fence - guaranteed to make you jump and your eyes water!

:blink: One of the 1920s Bentley team`s favorite party trick was to pull a spark plug lead off while the engine was running, stick his finger up the end and then earth the spark back off the end of his member!!! Good trick if you can do it and thats with a magneto!! :blink::blink:

Stuart.

The things some people had to do to get a BARC members badge :P