bonnet rubbing

Hi

My recently purchase tr4a has a lot of jobs I want to do before I'm happy to drive it on the road.

Because a number of these are under bonnet jobs, I find it very annoying whenever I open the bonnet because it makes a loud noise.

I've found it's rubbing on the grill portions that go round the top of the head lamps.

Is it a difficult job adjusting this? do I need to bend bits etc? the reason I ask first is I don't want to juggle a heavy bonnet by myself without knowing what I need to do.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

My recently purchase tr4a has a lot of jobs I want to do before I'm happy to drive it on the road.

Because a number of these are under bonnet jobs, I find it very annoying whenever I open the bonnet because it makes a loud noise.

I've found it's rubbing on the grill portions that go round the top of the head lamps.

Is it a difficult job adjusting this? do I need to bend bits etc? the reason I ask first is I don't want to juggle a heavy bonnet by myself without knowing what I need to do.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

If the bonnet is straight and unbent, ditto the grille, it sounds as though the front hinges need adjusting upwards to give you some clearance.Before you start have a good look at the line of the bonnet compared to the two front wings.

Open the bonnet and mark both bonnet hinges where they sit against the two inner wings.You are looking for the two bolt heads and slots in the front corners of the engine bay.Squirt WD40 down the gap betweeh the inner wing and the hinge to assist movementMultiple choice option ,depending how dirty the car is : - pencil line, masking tape or gaffa tape.Put mark below the hinge ( that way you can always get back to your start point).

Easier with a second pair of hands but possible with one ,if you are careful.Slacken the bolts, one side at a time !! just....enough for it to be still "gripping" but "loose enough" for you to "tug" the hinge upwards a little.Tighten the bolts and repeat on the other side until you have equal clearance on both sides and no loud noise.Close bonnet and check it looks right compared to the front wings.

Other tips.....put your right or left shoulder,depending on which side, against the bonnet edge to help support weight.NOT so much that you lift the bonnet support bar out of it's socket when you are on the nearside!! In which case have a broom handle to hand... to pop it back in again or shout HELP loudly.

best of luck with it. Bob

Hi

Cheers

Dave

Dave

If the bonnet is straight and unbent, ditto the grille, it sounds as though the front hinges need adjusting upwards to give you some clearance.Before you start have a good look at the line of the bonnet compared to the two front wings.

Open the bonnet and mark both bonnet hinges where they sit against the two inner wings.You are looking for the two bolt heads and slots in the front corners of the engine bay.Squirt WD40 down the gap betweeh the inner wing and the hinge to assist movementMultiple choice option ,depending how dirty the car is : - pencil line, masking tape or gaffa tape.Put mark below the hinge ( that way you can always get back to your start point).

Easier with a second pair of hands but possible with one ,if you are careful.Slacken the bolts, one side at a time !! just....enough for it to be still "gripping" but "loose enough" for you to "tug" the hinge upwards a little.Tighten the bolts and repeat on the other side until you have equal clearance on both sides and no loud noise.Close bonnet and check it looks right compared to the front wings.

Other tips.....put your right or left shoulder,depending on which side, against the bonnet edge to help support weight.NOT so much that you lift the bonnet support bar out of it's socket when you are on the nearside!! In which case have a broom handle to hand... to pop it back in again or shout HELP loudly.

best of luck with it. Bob

Hi Dave,

if the bonnet appears to sit nicely between the wings and the above posted adjustment is not necessary then it may be possible to remove a small amout of the bonnet flange that is hitting the grille. This is quite a big flange and it is surprising how small a contact on the grille produces quite a loud graunching sound.

Make sure that the grille is not sitting too far forward.

Also ensure the the bonnet hinges have not siezed as this can make some impressive noises.

best of luck

Roger

Dave the grill can be adjusted back on the two bolts on the top and the stays that go back to the inner wings as only a few thou out is enough to catch. The easiest way to adjust a bonnet on your own is to take the headlamps out complete with bowls in one piece and then you can reach through the holes and easily adjust the hinges that way. Remember because of the length of the bonnet a small adjustment at the front may make quite a lot of difference at the back.

Stuart

Using a srewjack (not hydraulic) located beneath the car and an appropriate length of square-ended timber, slightly slacken off the 2 adjustng bolts and then apply a little upward movement to the mounting bracket via the timber using the screw jack, before re-tightening and checking the result. Patience is required, and it may be necessary to make a series of adjustments before everything lines up correctly. Of course, this operation may be required on both sides.

Best of luck, Ian

Hi

Building on whats Ian's just posted ........ I loosen off the hinge mounts (with the grille OFF) set the bonnet in place in its ideal position, hold it up with said jack and then tighten / adjust to make fast. This way you support it all in the right place and get a good fit, without the probability of it all moving when you tighten up the first bolt.

Youll love this job on a TR4 ....... nearly as good as making the door locks work or replacing a gearbox !

Regards

Tony