Air Cleaner Hose Feed

Hi All,

I have just removed my old paper element from the air cleaner assembly, and replaced withA KN element air filter.

On the circular thingy that houses the element there are two holes, which should take hoses to feed filter with cool air.

My question is it worth fitting these two hoses and if so where should they be ducted to ?

It looks like they are supposed to run in font of the grille top, where does the end terminate?, or would it be better to drop them down and turn them forward in the air of the two slots in front valance?

Any ideas

Cheers

Guy

the latter works for me, I'm even thinking of making a little ram air system to feed into the hoses fopr more cold air. TRGB didnt think this would cause a problem on the cooling rad side as long as the rad is decent.

the latter works for me, I'm even thinking of making a little ram air system to feed into the hoses fopr more cold air. TRGB didnt think this would cause a problem on the cooling rad side as long as the rad is decent.

Thanks for that Robin,

This afternoon i connected the two pipes and have dropped them down by one of the opening in the front valance, having first fitted a grille type mesh first.

The mesh could conceivably reduce flow into that area . My number plate is mounted above the bumper so that it does not cause any restriction.

cheers

Guy

Guy

The Hynes manual has quiet a nice little diagram of the components (2x concertina type hoses & a bracket) but doesn’t show where they fit in relation to the car; from the diagram, it looks as though they just pointed down towards the road! My 1971 TR6 never had them & I’ve never seen them fitted on any 6; come to that I’ve never seen them in the flesh at all! I don’t know exactly when but I think Triumph decided fairly early on that they did not really serve any useful purpose so discontinued fitting them; TR5 stage I think but I’m not 100% sure.

I have a photo of a spitfire (not the supermarine type I might add) that shows 2 concertina hoses diving down slightly and appearing to connect into the cardboard radiator shroud on the right of the rad. since seeing this photo i have been playing around with ducting air into the air filter. The temperature here in the summer hits 35-40C and idling in traffic with all that hot air under the hood doesn't help pick up from stationary. I have a new aluminium rad shroud and have been scrounging around in the local scrapyard looking for an air intake from a modern car to cut into the shroud.

Guy

The Hynes manual has quiet a nice little diagram of the components (2x concertina type hoses & a bracket) but doesn’t show where they fit in relation to the car; from the diagram, it looks as though they just pointed down towards the road! My 1971 TR6 never had them & I’ve never seen them fitted on any 6; come to that I’ve never seen them in the flesh at all! I don’t know exactly when but I think Triumph decided fairly early on that they did not really serve any useful purpose so discontinued fitting them; TR5 stage I think but I’m not 100% sure.

Richard,

Another interesting point is tht the Haynes Mnaual page 11 (6) shows the air filter with one outlet, whereas mine has two as shown in Tr6 repair operation manual second edition item no 19.10.01/ 19.10.08

It also shows it being clipped across the front grill

Cheers

Guy

I remembered seeing the Haynes illustration but that appears to be totally different to the one on page 19:10:01 of the manual. My filter canister is exactly the same as the one shown, however, I hadn’t previously spotted the hose shown clipped along the top of the ducting in the illustration above!

The single outlet, exploded illustration you refer to in the Haynes manual is identical to & looks to be lifted straight out of the official driver’s handbook but I’ve never seen one with a single outlet so I’ve no idea what that’s all about. The photo above it on the same page of the handbook, again, shows the 2 outlet canister but no ducting.

There was no sign of anything ever being fitted to my car (marks in the paint or hose brackets etc.) which, at the time, was only just 3 years old. Neither does the tattered Leyland parts book I have list anything so it’s a bit of a mystery, perhaps it was down to incorrect illustration that never got rectified; it would be interesting to see a proper photo of this stuff actually in place!

--------------00000----------------

Having typed out the above, I noticed Georges post; you say it’s been on your car since you got it, can you advise what year model & when you got the car? Do you think it was an original fitment or has someone tried to replicate something they thought should be there?

My CP car had the hoses when I bought it in 1985. No idea whether they were original equipment, but the air cleaner canister has two intakes (do they all?). I still have the hoses, but haven't had them fitted for the past 15 years or so. Don't recall the route they took I'm afraid.

John

I've always been under the impression that cool / still air is best for carb'd engines.

Opinions please?

I know when we fitted old "mixer" type LPG conversion, forced air was disastrous - weak / unstable mixture.

Rob.

Greetings all

My CP series TR6 has one hose (? - away from home at the mo so cannot verify!) running across the lowere lip of the front panel / grille aperture. However, my 5, whilst having two openings in the filter canister does not have any mounting to which the plastic hose could fit over - just holes! So these have been positioned facing inward - i.e. towards the grille aperture...

Rgds

Greetings all

My CP series TR6 has one hose (? - away from home at the mo so cannot verify!) running across the lower lip of the front panel / grille aperture. However, my 5, whilst having two openings in the filter canister does not have any mounting to which the plastic hose could fit over - just holes! So these have been positioned facing inward - i.e. towards the grille aperture...

Rgds

Edited by ianhoward