Soft Brake Pedal - Triumph Stag

As per the title - if I press the brake pedal gently it feels soft and travels a long way, for example in the situation of braking very gently coming to a junction.
If I press the pedal hard, the pedal is good and firm and doesn't drift downwards. I've bled the brakes through with new fluid in case it was an effect of old fluid, but it hasn't improved things in this respect.
Can anyone comment on what the issue might be?
Thanks

Is that with engine running or not?

Stuart.

Both Stuart. It's probably more noticeable with the engine running and when on the road, but the pedal does drift further down when pressed gently with the engine off, and responds more firmly when pressed harder too.

Could be M/Cylinder returning internally, any loss of fluid? If you unbolt the master from the servo is there any fluid present in the space between?

Stuart.

Thanks again.

No loss of fluid. I've not checked for fluid in the servo. Someone else suggested a failing seal in the Master Cylinder. I have ordered a new Master from Paddock's - hopefully due tomorrow.

We're supposed to be off to Devon and Cornwall with the local MG club :ph34r: on Saturday in the car as we decided that the weather wasn't looking good enough for the little old Midget. Not sure whether to carry the new Master with us in case it gets worse or try to change it on Friday before we go. Do you know if it can be done without removing the Servo as on a manual Stag I understand that getting the servo and master out as an assembly (as per the ROM) is difficult due to the Clutch master cylinder position.

57 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

Thanks again.

No loss of fluid. I've not checked for fluid in the servo. Someone else suggested a failing seal in the Master Cylinder. I have ordered a new Master from Paddock's - hopefully due tomorrow.

We're supposed to be off to Devon and Cornwall with the local MG club :ph34r: on Saturday in the car as we decided that the weather wasn't looking good enough for the little old Midget. Not sure whether to carry the new Master with us in case it gets worse or try to change it on Friday before we go. Do you know if it can be done without removing the Servo as on a manual Stag I understand that getting the servo and master out as an assembly (as per the ROM) is difficult due to the Clutch master cylinder position.

No idea about changing it as I dont do Stags Im afraid. I would have thought you just unbolt it off the front of the servo after detaching the fluid pipes.

Stuart.

Thanks again everyone. Since posting earlier I've had the front wheels off to check the pads and discs. The discs look OK - the pads are a little low and probably are due to be changed reasonably soon (if I thought about it more thoroughly earlier I should have ordered new pads with the master).

It's likely to be an internal issue within the master cylinder (tipping valve IIRC)

They are relatively easy but fiddly to rebuild as corrosion is less likely than the seals reaching the end of their days. However new ones are available from many of the Stag suppliers like James Paddock or you can have an exchange one from EJ Ward, the latter option being more expensive.

21 hours ago, Lebro said:

Sounds like fluid sneaking past the master cylinder seal to me also

Bob

Agreed.

Had precisely that on a 2500 S which is essentially a Stag brake system 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT