I have just been out and checked my existing relay. I have the screw eyelet version. I am keen on yours. I nearly bought one yesterday and thought that I would ask for advice here on the Forum.

Thanks

Richard & B

Is there any supplier who sells an overdrive modern relay with the Eyelet connections.  I could buy a Durite which would work well but needs new connections and I would have to start soldering . It is in  a very cramped space near the heater and gearbox.

Rob H found me a useful supply and I was about to buy it . I am now looking for a different relay. I need the eyelet fittings to avoid the electrical work.

Thanks

Richard & B

How about replacing the existing screw eyelet terminal loom for one with Lucar terminals already fitted?   Then use a Durite Lucar terminal relay.   

Loom. Is pt no 131338.  
https://motaclan.com/product/loom-overdrive-switch-relaytr_131338_1688_0/

Alternative ADD a modern plug in relay with pre wired socket.   Run the new wires of the pre wired socket to your existing relay eyelet terminals and use the old relay and its existing wiring as a junction box?

Prewired socket and 30 amp modern relay with fuse.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164795155511?itmmeta=01HWFZYX6MDJ6V76P0SS6GF03X&hash=item265e8e8437:g:8sEAAOSwjjRbbs4B&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8JyhQ5CkiaOjL8Em76aWph4niZuQMQFAA07FifTvP9duWTn8OTcj3Sy55xZQfdc%2B9U1aXCu1SWtuC57MZOF4k9ll8z66YgsfQf6kuzq%2BytCIwHJBAg%2B1PoXrP0Xx09VuOX9%2F6RszKlR%2FmFuvrPX4FjuWE6KV7Jn3zUugCBGDEks3Idf09vrkA%2BJfXUNlZooYn0XcuZDdWCiDQN3BR9y%2B6Ym3avgkWqVvQNlB6bSzwy49QdGwuSF20pnnK9zVDtV2a4spCEwzpjHT1uZeXAfdyJJUAh%2BLyLFMVUX8vcFtUproj6iaBD7sb6lp6k9v3qZBVQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7zT-__jYw

How many amps , 30 or 40 , should the new relay have to work and does it need a diode for protection ? The prewired sockets look like a good answer.

Thanks for the advice

Richard & B

Edited by Richardtr3a
correct amps

The A-type OD draws 20A or so. A standard 30A relay will be fine.  You don't really need one with a commutation diode but it wouldn't hurt as it helps to prevent contact burning on the switches. (The diode reduces the back-emf voltage spike as the relay turns off ). It does add a complication though.

A relay with a diode has to be wired in the right way round as the wiring convention for these relays is intended for negative earth systems. The cathode of the diode is always wired to pin 86 meaning this has to be the  positive supply end and pin 85 the negative earthy end. 

On a positive-earth car this means the connections must be reversed. The white supply wire from the ignition switch must go to pin 85, with 86 connected to the yellow wire from the OD switch. 

Edited by RobH
22 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

How about replacing the existing screw eyelet terminal loom for one with Lucar terminals already fitted?   Then use a Durite Lucar terminal relay.   

Loom. Is pt no 131338.  
https://motaclan.com/product/loom-overdrive-switch-relaytr_131338_1688_0/

Alternative ADD a modern plug in relay with pre wired socket.   Run the new wires of the pre wired socket to your existing relay eyelet terminals and use the old relay and its existing wiring as a junction box?

Prewired socket and 30 amp modern relay with fuse.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164795155511?itmmeta=01HWFZYX6MDJ6V76P0SS6GF03X&hash=item265e8e8437:g:8sEAAOSwjjRbbs4B&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8JyhQ5CkiaOjL8Em76aWph4niZuQMQFAA07FifTvP9duWTn8OTcj3Sy55xZQfdc%2B9U1aXCu1SWtuC57MZOF4k9ll8z66YgsfQf6kuzq%2BytCIwHJBAg%2B1PoXrP0Xx09VuOX9%2F6RszKlR%2FmFuvrPX4FjuWE6KV7Jn3zUugCBGDEks3Idf09vrkA%2BJfXUNlZooYn0XcuZDdWCiDQN3BR9y%2B6Ym3avgkWqVvQNlB6bSzwy49QdGwuSF20pnnK9zVDtV2a4spCEwzpjHT1uZeXAfdyJJUAh%2BLyLFMVUX8vcFtUproj6iaBD7sb6lp6k9v3qZBVQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7zT-__jYw

Thanks for the link to the fused relay prewired. This seems like a straight forward answer . Today I tried to turn the screws making my existing relay connections and they turned well. Is this modern relay ok for positive earth? It does not have a diode and looks simple to fit. I will need some instructions on connecting C1,C2, W1,W2 to 10,85,86,87.

I plan to buy this one tomorrow

Richard & B

As Rob said above :

For modern relays the connection terminals are numbered rather than letters and the equivalents to the original are:

C1=30. (brown/white wire),   C2=87 (yellow/purple),   W1=86 (white),   W2= 85 (yellow/green)

5 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

Is this modern relay ok for positive earth? It does not have a diode and looks simple to fit. I will need some instructions 

Relays without diode protection /bypass are not sensitive to polarity. They can be used on positive or negative earth circuits without changing the connections