Alternative rear view mirror on a Sidescreen car

I occasionally use a boot bag on my TR3a with result that it blocks the view from my dashboard mounted rear view mirror. I have often thought about fitting a mirror on a rod ‘a la’ e- type or MG. Has anyone on the forum done this and if so who supplies the best set of bits?

Rgds Ian

I use a suction cup mirror from Halfords. It sits in the bottom RH corner of the screen to cover the blind spot, gets moved to the other side on the continent or gets purloined by SWBO to fit in the top middle of the screen so that she can keep an eye on following cars. 

I have a pair of Harley Davison  mirrors that fit in to one of the windscreen screw positions. They look in period are well made and give a good clear view

George 

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

I occasionally use a boot bag on my TR3a with result that it blocks the view from my dashboard mounted rear view mirror. I have often thought about fitting a mirror on a rod ‘a la’ e- type or MG. Has anyone on the forum done this and if so who supplies the best set of bits?

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian

the works team cars used a Lucas mirror hanging from the HT centre windscreen mounting.

I’ll try to recall/photograph which model it’s is and let you know.

Iain

49 minutes ago, harlequin said:

I have a pair of Harley Davison  mirrors that fit in to one of the windscreen screw positions. They look in period are well made and give a good clear view

George 

I have pair of those already thks George but I wanted something period to fit at the top of the screen. 

Rgds Ian

46 minutes ago, iain said:

Hi Ian

the works team cars used a Lucas mirror hanging from the HT centre windscreen mounting.

I’ll try to recall/photograph which model it’s is and let you know.

Iain

Thks Iain. 

10 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Racetorations do the windscreen stay you are mentioning

https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/windscreen-top-rail-brace-tr2-3a/

This looks like one would have to dismantle the windscreen frame to drill and fit the top mounting unless you already had the hardtop brackets.

I use a sucker mounted mirror all the time, I do not have the original dash mounted mirror. I have it at the top centre of the screen and although it drops off sometimes it is fine. On my Vitesse I had a similar mirror which was stick on which was better. Why not just get a sucker mounted one for the times when you have the boot bag fitted.

Ralph

Thank you all, plenty of food for thought there.  Needless to say I won’t be buying the genuine item at $350 and I do like the rod although it does look a bit pricey. I’ll post how I get on in due course.

Rgds Ian

• 2 weeks later...

It should be easy enough to make one. Its basically a rod and two brackets. I don't have one on my TR but I did make one for my '49TC. Then all you need is a mirror from a Morgan. I didn't need a top bracket as its drilled into the frame but made an L shaped bracket at the bottom attached to the screen with a sticky pad. I then made a similar shaped piece for the outside of the screen again with a sticky pad for cosmetic reasons. Its been on for three years now and works well. I am sure you can copy the style of the top bracket on the Racetorations website to make one. if you zoom in on that picture you can see it

2020-05-20 10.42.36.jpg