It’s happened a few time now. Following a downpour, or an over enthusiastic car wash with hose sprinkler, I get a wet leg when moving off. I cannot find where exactly it’s coming from, but it pours down from behind the dash just to the right of the steering column. There are one or two areas in the corner drainage channel of the bonnet that look suspect. No rust or rotting that I can discern. Windscreen seal is not brilliant but would not, in my opinion, be the cause of the deluge. As ever, all contributions gratefully received.

cheers

David

1 hour ago, Dady said:

It’s happened a few time now. Following a downpour, or an over enthusiastic car wash with hose sprinkler, I get a wet leg when moving off. I cannot find where exactly it’s coming from, but it pours down from behind the dash just to the right of the steering column. There are one or two areas in the corner drainage channel of the bonnet that look suspect. No rust or rotting that I can discern. Windscreen seal is not brilliant but would not, in my opinion, be the cause of the deluge. As ever, all contributions gratefully received.

cheers

David

Its probably the plenum corner rotted out or the drain tube displaced. Look up under the dash at where the air vent joins the plenum.

Stuart.

Just now, RogerH said:

Hi David,

is the drainage tube for the plenum chamber (on the right hand side) blocked????

Bung a hose up the outlet to free any muck.

Roger

Difficult if it still drains behind the wing.

Stuart.

If the vent is closed when this happens there should not be water in the plenum. My guess would be the windscreen seal leaking near the corner. Just get a jug of water and pour it on the windscreen and see what happens. It could also be the screen assembly to body seal.

Keith

The dash air vent seals to the plenum with a "foamy pushes up to sort of fit" sorry to use such technical terms.......

It's difficult to see because it seeps through the seal. Worth a look here. Mine took some time to fix because it was passenger side!

John

Spot on John.

the plenum has an opening in the back to match the dash vent.

It has a bottom lip that’s only(from memory) 25/30 mm

If the drain hole is even partially blocked then the chamber is easily overwhelmed- hence the wet knee

I effected a cure having blown most of the debris choking the drain hole out, with a piece of Ally liberally smeared with a good mastic between the plenum and the Black foam.

Its awkward but if the Ally comes about halfway up the vents Black body you’ll still have some fresh air  facility

Must be 15 years since I did this and no wet knee since

John

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have had similar thoughts re plenum blockage. I’ll update this thread once I’ve investigated.

David