Rear bulb holders

I have two of my new bulb holders fail

Does anyone know of a supplier of decent set?

My auto electrician said that the repros are troublesome…mine have suffers from bad earthing 

I've also had problems with modern repro rear bulb holders, the quality is poor. Mine were improved by carefully bending the spring contacts to press a little harder on the bulb terminals. Connecting extra earth wires to the bulb holder bodies can help too.

As for a better source of replacement bulb holders, I'm not aware of one. Perhaps there's some new old stock lingering somewhere??

Nigel

I soldered pig tails to all of the rear bulb holders and then connected them to an earthing wire that runs to the body/battery earthing strap. This has cured all of the niggling electrical problems and dim rear lights that plagued my car.

George 

8 minutes ago, harlequin said:

I soldered pig tails to all of the rear bulb holders and then connected them to an earthing wire that runs to the body/battery earthing strap. This has cured all of the niggling electrical problems and dim rear lights that plagued my car.

George 

Great idea.  Thx. 

32 minutes ago, harlequin said:

George 

+1 Definitely the way to go.

And switch to LEDs. Lights up the car like a fairground ride, even with iffy earthing!

A couple of years ago I bought some replacement bulb holders. They didn't want to stay in the sockets and would pop out. Tried another vendor...same result. (one vendor in US and one in UK). Took a screwdriver and added a bit more bend to one side of each tab.... which made them fit properly. Too bad they just can't be made correctly

For improved grounds, I've seen people wrap bare copper strands around tabs and than to a ground points. Some people have been able to solder the inner ground tab to the outer ring.  I wasn't satisfied with my soldering, so I took a spade connecter and glued it to bulb housing with the spade slide under the ground contacts, than added a dab of dielectric grease on top to help protect the connection.  LEDs from https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ were also a big improvement .

thumbnail_IMG_2031.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2032.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1998.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2038.jpg

On 3/21/2024 at 7:22 PM, harlequin said:

George 

Great idea.  Thx. 

11 hours ago, Atl TR6 said:

A couple of years ago I bought some replacement bulb holders. They didn't want to stay in the sockets and would pop out. Tried another vendor...same result. (one vendor in US and one in UK). Took a screwdriver and added a bit more bend to one side of each tab.... which made them fit properly. Too bad they just can't be made correctly

For improved grounds, I've seen people wrap bare copper strands around tabs and than to a ground points. Some people have been able to solder the inner ground tab to the outer ring.  I wasn't satisfied with my soldering, so I took a spade connecter and glued it to bulb housing with the spade slide under the ground contacts, than added a dab of dielectric grease on top to help protect the connection.  LEDs from https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ were also a big improvement .

thumbnail_IMG_2031.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2032.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1998.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2038.jpg

That’s good work 

that’s where my issue is. No ground continuity between the copper and the outer ring