engine breather / catch tank

Regarding a collision switch, a number of members here use a switch from a LPG car system. They are relatively cheep and reliable, although you only find out it does not work  when its to late.

Brian

17 hours ago, dpb said:

Hi Stuart

Do you have any recommendations for a collision switch supplier?

Cheers

Dave 

There is this one https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/inertia-safety-switch which needs the little plug you can see to the right on that page. Or do as Nick suggested get one from a scrap modern along with the bit of loom and plug to go with. Peugeot/Ford/Landrovers all have them.

Stuart.

17 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I think there are 35 fluid ounces in a litre.  

At 5 ozs that is a fairly small capacity - sort of yogurt pot sized.

Absolutely and to my mind an over engineered waste of time, plus with it breathing underbonnet you`ll get all the smell from it inside the car eventually.

Stuart.

54 minutes ago, roy53 said:

i had one made to fit in the battery box. Re located battery

P1000094.JPG

I see you have a fuel pressure regulator similar to the one I have fitted but as yet need to connect.

Did you have any problems that made you decide to fit one as I can see you have also an electric fuel pump fitted?

Pump is in the boot.Red top facet.

regulator was on the advice of Mass who built the engine and set it up on the rolling road.

Roy

2 minutes ago, roy53 said:

Pump is in the boot.Red top facet.

regulator was on the advice of Mass who built the engine and set it up on the rolling road.

Roy

Thanks for that. I have fitted the filter/regulator as I may fit a pair of webers somewhere down the line. From what I have read it would require a regulator that can give about 3 psi with a high high flow rate on tick over with no less that 1.5 psi on high revs. (assuming I have read it right, if not then I have a fuel filter)

I generally run twin SUs but sometimes swop for twin 40s. Both run fine on the standard pump. 

If you want to fit an electric pump the newer Facet Posi Flo pumps are available with a low pressure output and save the complication of a pressure regulator. 

26 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

I generally run twin SUs but sometimes swop for twin 40s. Both run fine on the standard pump. 

If you want to fit an electric pump the newer Facet Posi Flo pumps are available with a low pressure output and save the complication of a pressure regulator. 

Thanks for that. I am not sure what pump I have as under the floor. I will check on its spec. The regulator is bought fitted so I may as well finish off and pipe it up. I have all AN6 PTFE fittings and braided hose to do the job so hopefully no problem with ethanol. I will also replace the tubes at the rear, tank to pump and pump to steel tube with the PTFE braided hose

On 3/20/2024 at 6:30 PM, Hamish said:

Hi I have just measured the original breather hole as mine had I was sure a 28mm copper plumbing pipe and elbow which worked very well fitted with a bit of mastic

hope this helps. Actual is 28.34mm. With precision Aldi caliper

IMG_0110.jpeg

Thanks for that.

I managed to remove my snorkel and get an inside calliper inside the hole to measure it, It came out at 1.125" and being an imperial size makes sense.

I turned the plug adaptor at exactly 1.1254" and it was a nice interference fit when pressed in. The AN10 fitting I screwed in to it was 3/8NPT screwed into 3/8BSP so as the taper tightened into the plug it will slightly expand the aluminium it giving a better seal. I have yet to try it all out.. I just have to make a small bracket to lodge against the plug to ensure it doesn't come out with heat or vibration.

On 4/29/2024 at 8:00 AM, Rocketman said:

Well top breather hose fitted and bottom plug for the block made. The plug I made 1.125" diameter to fit into the hole in the block but just need an O ring to seal it and a retainer that I will make to stop it vibrating out. The plug I drilled and tapped 3/8 bsp (only because I have a set of taps that size) and screwed in an AN10 x 3/8 bsp fitting. The snorkel breather has been removed so I just need to fit it neatly then pipe up the fuel pressure regulator/filter I have also installed (I fitted this because the car now has an electric fuel pump)

catch 1.jpg

catch 2.jpg

catch 3.jpg

Interested to know why you went towards the back of the rocker cover and just half way up. Do you have a splash plate on the inside?

9 minutes ago, Nigel C said:

Interested to know why you went towards the back of the rocker cover and just half way up. Do you have a splash plate on the inside?

No particular reason other than it worked well with the hoses, fittings and the position of the tank. There isn’t a splash plate as yet but if it needs one I will make one. Only trying out will determine that one. I needed to position the outlet so the screw heads wouldn’t interfere with the rockers inside. It’s in the middle instead of higher up because the cover is flat there but starts to curve as it gets higher up