Nice day yesterday, so got the 3a out of the garage, started up straight away after I used the priming lever on the pump to fill the float bowls. Checked tyres, oil, water, etc, and went for a 25 mile shakedown run to blow the cobwebs away. Got caught in a light shower which was a bit ironic as I have one of those Smartscreen wiper delays yet to fit. A job for today.  Also the run reminded me of an annoying vibration that seems to emanate from the glovebox area at certain revs which has been present ever since getting the car on the road in 2021. I cannot find anything under the bonnet that would cause it, and I think it must be the wiper tube under the dash so I am going to check that too.

Can`t wait for the show season to start, first one so far is Elvington Air Museum on 14th April, then if like previous years, almost every Sunday until next winter.

Ralph

Good luck with the wiper tube. This may well be the problem. I used to have a similar rattle and it turn out to be bonnet prop needing a new rubber clip.  I tried to improve the wiper tube  and mounted it carefully. The noise may have been there as well.

There are often things that need attention, love and repair on a car from the 50's 

Let us know when you win :)

Posted (edited)

Well, I now have intermittent facility on my wipers, so one result, but the vibration rattle still evades me. I wedged a lump of foam between the bonnet stay and the underside of the bonnet with no difference. I now think that it could be the bonnet itself just catching the raised lip on the scuttle, evidenced by some paint chipped off. I have ordered a few metres of plastic edge protector to try on the basis that it will take up any slight gap and give the bonnet something to close against. Other option was to put another gasket under the hinge on the scuttle, but as this would require removing the glove box I will try the edge trim first.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
  • 2 weeks later...

Found the rattle eventually. The back lower corner of the bonnet had been catching the scuttle just above the wing rain channel. I found a small area where the paint had been rubbed away to bare metal about the size of a pin head. 2 minutes with a flap wheel in the Dremel removed about 2 mm from the offending edge of the bonnet. A quick dab of paint to stop rust and no more rattle. Only took 3 years to find.

Now I have another tinny rattle coming from the engine compartment to find.

Ralph