Grounding the gearbox bell housing

My '63 TR4 is restored to near original condition.  However, I have just discovered a wire mounted to the bell housing at one of the clutch slave cylinder mounting bolts and the other end to a bolt on the body.  There are no other electrical connections on either end.  Any reason for this wire?

Not an original feature.

However….if there is not a similar earthing cable between the body/chassis and the engine that one will do.    It is the electrical return for the starter motor power and the ignition and charging circuits.

If it is not there the choke cable becomes the earth return cable causing all manner of issues.

Thank you.  It seems the 4's had only one, on the left front of the engine between the engine mount and the timing chain cover.  Mine was missing.  I have now installed one and removed the "new" one and the car seems to be working fine.

18 hours ago, MJerome said:

Thank you.  It seems the 4's had only one, on the left front of the engine between the engine mount and the timing chain cover.  Mine was missing.  I have now installed one and removed the "new" one and the car seems to be working fine.

Put it back as its always better to have two.

Stuart.

Martin Ward has a fire under the bonnet - stuck in traffic with the electric fan and other accessories on thought to have been caused by a missing engine to body earth.  This was on a 6 where the battery neg goes to the bell housing and onto the body. His only went to the bell housing. A previous owner had seemingly fitted an earth strap from an earlier car, assuming that was how it was. However the 4a etc have an entirely separate earth strap from the engine block to the body/chassis.