TR3A Cylinder Head Pushrod Tubes in steel

Hello 

In connection with the overhaul of my TR3A cylinder head there is a need to replace the pushrod tubes. I have purchased 8 new pushrod tubes which was of the aluminium type (p/n 100792), but they are very difficult to fit. I have read that Triumph in some cases used steel pushrod tubes on later models ?

Do anybody know where I can buy the steel type of the pushrod tubes for this engine ?

Regards

Lars Erik

Norway

Why are these being replaced?

Are they dented or have holes in them.

If only leaking they will need re-swaging/flaring top and bottom into the head.   
Others have cleaned the tube ends where the fit in the head and used epoxy glue to seal.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Erik,

I drive a TR4A head with steel tube and own another one with aluminium tubes.

Both never have been faced and so I guess both kind of tubes are original.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

The engine hasn't runned for the last 30 years or so and both engine and cylinder head looked really bad. I delivered the cylinder head to an engine work shop to have it overhauled and they started the cleaning process by dipping it in an acid bath. And, of course, things went wrong for the aluminum tubes.

Acid bath!!!! You may need to replace the aluminum plug in the top of the head. People forget about that one and regret it when the head has to come off again, some time a while later.

Brian

I may have a set of the steel pushrods available, I fitted some special ones which were "adjustable" in length as I had 0.060" removed from the head face.

Will take a look & see if I still have them

Bob

58 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I may have a set of the steel pushrods available, I fitted some special ones which were "adjustable" in length as I had 0.060" removed from the head face.

Will take a look & see if I still have them

Bob

I think he is talking about the guide tube,  set in the head

Roger

3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I think he is talking about the guide tube,  set in the head

Roger

Ah, right. well that's just as well, as I can't find my original rods ! I must have already passed them on to someone else. - Sorry Lehsend

Bob

30 years ago……We certainly used to sell the aluminium tubes as a spare part and never had any come backs for size or fitting issues.   A big customer market was Germany through Heuten   The German TR owner sensibly wanted to fit new wherever they could rather than rely on old parts.  

New tubes not the correct size?    
Is it possible Moss sell the new tubes to suit the SDF new heads which may have got ‘metricated’ in the remaking process to use readily available metric rather than imperial sized tubing?   

Fitting the tubes.   Simple flanged mandrel and a press, swage/flare the tube ends once fitted to seal.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT